The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Charlotte Dujardin & Valegro 90.65% at Hartpury!

Gosh I worship at Carl Hester's yard (well, in my mind).

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I think they are top contenders for the Olympics and wonderful, but that was WAAAAAAY overscored.

Bobbles at the beginning, and no clear walk--it was skipping. I like the music from The Great Escape, but it doesn't show the horse well and I hated how it was all randomly spliced back and forth with no theme--she should have been killed on musicality. The Great Escape, the Olympic music with trumpets (I've used that in freestyles), and the graduation music for extended canter to pirouette where there was NO music but a stupid bell for the pirouette, which was awful, and done THREE times. The last pir. was only four. The music just went back and forth and back and forth.

Not a personal attack on her or the horse at all, but it is very disheartening to see the BS in judging. They score the way they want. I would have gotten a 5 on that walk at training level. I wonder what she got?

I hope she gets better music for the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Gosh I worship at Carl Hester's yard (well, in my mind).

Paula
    Have you seen the "At Home With Carl Hester" series on Horse and Country TV?

It was like there was no buildup to a crescendo - it was all flourishes.

As top contenders, the Brits just don't have a lot of experience with free styles.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Have you seen the "At Home With Carl Hester" series on Horse and Country TV?
    Yessssss I wish he gave vacation packages, well, and I had the money to take a riding vacay to his yard

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I love this pair, and other then the bobbles at the beginning and end, I think they deserve high marks for most of the technical work, but really, the musicality, the "artistic impression" marks - can you guys really tell me this flowed well? It sounded a bit like someone just took snippets from wherever they could find free music and put it in a jar, shook it up, and poured it out. Hated the music I wish she had hired someone experienced in the freestyle music production, even if it meant leaving the UK to do so.

The extended trot music and the pirouette music (which I think they tried to borrow from the Gal/Toto freestyle concept), didn't work at all, and I think the walk music made his walk look a little weird. And it was just snip, snip, snip, constantly changing the music type, theme, etc - it made me a little dizzy

I've had judges mark me down significantly in artistic marks simply because they didn't recognize the connection of the music (two different songs from Star Wars - really, who in the US hasn't seen Star Wars???), yet this is obviously just a hodge-podge of different music. Where is Mike, I wonder what he thinks?

Sadly disappointed, because I do love this team...

Sadly I have to agree. I believe it was all iconic British music and that was the "theme" (I did like the Big Ben bells), but I found myself playing Name that Tune and some of it went by too quick to identify. It was distracting. I also hated the choreography of the extended canter to pirouttes - once = brilliant, twice = very cool, but by the fourth time it was a bit predictable! Between this and Laura Bechtolsheimer's Lion King jumble I'm not liking our freestyle chances. It's such a shame because they've both had excellent freestyles in the past... I don't understand why we're switching it up so late in the day!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

As a non dressage person who enjoys watching I can't say anything on the scoring. However I saw this on FB and expected to get blown away as I love watching great Freestyle and well it just didn't at all. The horse and rider are lovely but the whole presentation/music/"choreography" didn't do much for me and I often get moved to tears watching freestyle. (okay I am a geek)

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    but the whole presentation/music/"choreography" didn't do much for me and I often get moved to tears watching freestyle. (okay I am a geek)
    Not a geek - this is really what the artistic marks are all about! Many judges don't get it - they understand the technical marks, but in a freestyle artistic marks are half the score!

I love the horse and the pair. The music and choreography, not so much ... although there were some very nice parts. I do like all of the various tunes that were used ... just not one after another after another ... it was too busy.

I do love this pair though.

Come on people, It was a tune-up/cheerleading event for the games (mainly the para riders I think), What do you expect to happen ? http://www.hartpury.ac.uk/dressage/
    Last edited by Equibrit; Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

When I saw the score, I was expecting the brilliance of the choreography in something like Andreas Helgestrand's freestyle with Blu Hors Matine.

This pair in this video had amazing movement and was lovely to watch, but the music just didn't do it for me. I think I get what they were trying to do with snippets of a British theme, but I don't think it complemented the horse. He's big and powerful with brilliant movement and I think he needed music to complement that, which is why I think the big ben "bells" didn't work. I think it needed something to complement the flow of the ride.

I don't want to be an armchair judge, but I think she could have done a better job on the music.

Going back to Andreas' ride on Matine, I think the pop music he selected for the Pi/Pa tour worked really well because the rhythm and the beat complimented the spring in the hind legs that Matine was known for. Her canter half pass also had lovely bend and flow and the music complemented that in terms of the softness and the way it flowed along with the movement.

I think that kind of matching between movement and music was what was missing from Dujardin's freestyle.

don't think it's all British music: heard some of John Williams' Olympic theme music (pretty gutsy!)

though I also thought I heard the theme from Bridge Over the River Kwai which would be from the UK

agree the music is a little too chopped up. it looks to me like the judges have already made up their minds about this pair and short of a meltdown, I'm guessing they'll be in the medals

Horse & Hound

Charlotte Dujardin sets new British freestyle dressage record

8 July, 2012
    Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro have become the first British dressage partnership to break the 90% barrier in international competition, ahead of representing Britain at the London Olympics next month.

Performing her new freestyle at Hartpury CDI*** on Saturday evening, Charlotte scored 90.65% to beat the previous British record of 87.6% set in April by Olympic team-mate Laura Bechtolsheimer.

The Tom Hunt-composed patriotic music score had the crowd captivated as Charlotte and Roly Luard and Carl Hester’s Valegro put in a mistake-free test. Pirouettes to the chimes of Big Ben and piaffe to the theme tune of ‘The Great Escape’ were among the highlights.

Four of the five judges awarded artistic marks of over 93%, including a 97% from Eduard De Wolff Van Westerorode (NED) at B, while Poland’s Wojteck Markowski awarded one of his highest ever scores from C.

British ‘O’ judge Andrew Gardner, who judged at M, said: “It was breath-taking. For a judge to be able to award a 10 for such a range of movements from piaffe to extended trot endorses the calibre of the talent that we have in front of us.”

Charlotte’s mentor and trainer Carl Hester was delighted. “They nailed it!” he said.

“All the practice at home has paid off and I feel we have a true Olympic calibre freestyle that the whole nation can be proud of. There’s a little bit more tweaking to be done, but roll on Greenwich — we’ll be ready!”
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I loved it and am rooting for Charlotte for the Gold!! Amazing pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Horse & Hound

Charlotte Dujardin sets new British freestyle dressage record

8 July, 2012
    Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro have become the first British dressage partnership to break the 90% barrier in international competition, ahead of representing Britain at the London Olympics next month.

Performing her new freestyle at Hartpury CDI*** on Saturday evening, Charlotte scored 90.65% to beat the previous British record of 87.6% set in April by Olympic team-mate Laura Bechtolsheimer.

The Tom Hunt-composed patriotic music score had the crowd captivated as Charlotte and Roly Luard and Carl Hester’s Valegro put in a mistake-free test. Pirouettes to the chimes of Big Ben and piaffe to the theme tune of ‘The Great Escape’ were among the highlights.

Four of the five judges awarded artistic marks of over 93%, including a 97% from Eduard De Wolff Van Westerorode (NED) at B, while Poland’s Wojteck Markowski awarded one of his highest ever scores from C.

British ‘O’ judge Andrew Gardner, who judged at M, said: “It was breath-taking. For a judge to be able to award a 10 for such a range of movements from piaffe to extended trot endorses the calibre of the talent that we have in front of us.”

Charlotte’s mentor and trainer Carl Hester was delighted. “They nailed it!” he said.

“All the practice at home has paid off and I feel we have a true Olympic calibre freestyle that the whole nation can be proud of. There’s a little bit more tweaking to be done, but roll on Greenwich — we’ll be ready!”

Default Witness the death of the top hat.

There's your answer to the question of whether international judges will penalize even subconsciously for helmets.

Yay!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Lovely ride, crazy music. I turned off the sound so I could enjoy her incredible riding.

This pair is the one I'm betting on for gold. These 2 blow me away with their correctness-you can feel the strength and carrying power of the hind end allowing the strong and supple back and light, elevated front end and telescoping neck. I love the pair.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.