The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seventh Generation Cleaning Products or other green products

Has anybody tried the Seventh Generation products, what do you think ? I just bought a bottle of the Lavender laundry detergent and I am trying to decide if I like it or not. It seems to clean laundry ok, it definitely isn't as perfumey as Tide which I normally use. I like the idea of using something better for the environment, but if it doesn't clean as well, it sort of defeats the purpose.

I also bought the Seventh Generation auto dishwasher detergent which I do like. I tried Mrs Meyers dish washer detergent originally and although I liked the Basil countertop spray alot, the Basil dishwasher detergent was overpowering !!

Anybody have any recommendations for more commercially available, earth friendly cleaning products ?

I use their lavender mint dish soap on my horse who is super itchy from bugs. It smells great and seems to help his itchiness.

I love "Simple Green" lemon scent. It cleans better than any commerical product I've tried, without the toxic chemical smell.

Leaves the tub/shower sparkling without a lot of effort. I use it to clean the moulding, the doors, etc.

You can mop the floors with it, or add some to a laundry load. (Especially barn clothes)
    Takes the smell right out.

I love the whole Method line.

They have a soft scrub that smells like eucalyptus and leaves my sink glowing.

Currently they have a "limited edition" lime and sea salt scent for dish soap, surface cleaner, and hand soap. It smells so good I rewipe the kitchen counter just to smell it.

I just started using BabyGanics tub and tile cleaner, and their multi surface spray. I have Seventh Generation toilet bowl cleaner and we use their baby wipes for DS. So far I like the scent of BabyGanics way better, their lavender one actually smells like essential oils! I am anxious to try this Method scrub for my sink though, sounds fantastic!

I have used the Seventh generation laundry detergent for a long time, and it works very well on DD's and my stinky barn clothes. HOWEVER...the lavender fragrance began irritating my skin, so I had to switch to a regular "free and clear" detergent (arm and hammer) to stop the itchies. Sigh. I then went to dr. Bronner's unscented and that seems to work ok.

I like the method stuff's scent but didn't think it was all that green. I use the Dr. Bronner's tea tree spray for the counters, etc.