The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hyperhidrosis - anyone else battle super sweaty hands and feet

The favourite antiperspirant thread just made me wonder if anyone else is cursed with super sweat.

My hands and feet sweat so much. I usually have a stack of paper towels by my desk at work. By the end of my rides my gloves are so wet I have no grip anymore (and in the winter you can see steam coming off my hands).

Have a major lack of any cute shoes and sandals that you would wear without socks as my feet just make puddles in the shoe and then they slide around.

And by the end of a ride my shirts are drenched with big wet spots in the pits, on my back and stomach.

Anyone else deal with this and have any tips or tricks. Or just make your super sweat frustrations known.

Not hands and feet, but my head!! Just happened this year, don't know if its related to my brain injury or if turning 40 caused this.

I've never sweat so much on my head before, its like its raining... so gross. It like runs down into my eyes... its not just me feeling it, others can SEE it. Gross.
    GP

Quote Originally Posted by giantpony View Post
    Not hands and feet, but my head!! Just happened this year, don't know if its related to my brain injury or if turning 40 caused this.

I've never sweat so much on my head before, its like its raining... so gross. It like runs down into my eyes... its not just me feeling it, others can SEE it. Gross.
    GP
    I have this same problem. I sweat so much from my head and my face, it's disgusting. It's also impossible to hide or disguise. Talk about social suicide.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Add me to the group! To the point that my personal trainer, who has been training people for over 10 years, recently told me that he has never seen anyone sweat as much as I do. It's so nasty! I'm okay with it when I'm riding or working out, but it's so embarassing when I'm in a social situation or at work....
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Cranky, did yours start suddenly or has it always been that way?
    GP

Default Try this!

http://www.buydrysol.com/index.asp

Once I hit the menopausal stage, it was gross. Any bit of exertion and the sweat pours down my face. The rest of my body is fine.

It is embarrassing when I'm at the barn and even though it is somewhat hot, everyone is dry and my face looks like I just got out of the pool.

Got so disgusted with it, I ordered this a few weeks ago and it works fairly well....

Just follow the instructions exactly or it burns and itches like heck!
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I sweat a ton as well -- at the gym or after a hard ride it often looks like someone turned a hose on me. I had botox injected in my armpits once and it was extremely effective but it only lasted 6 months -- my horse finds ways of generating enough vet bills that I can't continue to do it. Not to mention that it only takes care of part of the problem.

A sweaty rock climber friend of mine uses a cream called "antihydral" on his hands to keep them from getting slippery with sweat, but I believe it is meant to stop sweat for grip purposes and may contain some sort of chalk or rosin.

I can look like I've been in the pool after just standing outside in 80* or higher weather. Have a towel nearby all the time... Have to look into the Drysol - sounds interesting.

Dang lost my whole post.
    The gist of it: you can try cutting out alcohol,sugar, spicy food, caffeine, nicotine. Lose weight. Drink more water.
    I've tried everything except Botox and surgery.
    There is literature out there that I read once, that tied excessive sweating to the heart and said sweating was protective of it.
    I'd recommend some sites, but some of them offer approaches I don't want to put out there (like surgeries).

P.s. Super antiperspirants made my armpits skin break and ooze pus, so I don't use them anymore.
    P.p.s. Maybe we could start a support group, and meet in winter. But then remembered I sweat when I am too cold too.

Oh, I did find this cool down trick. When going into an extreme heat situation (like the subway system) I buy a cold soda CAN beverage and hold the soda on my heart, and sometimes my jugular. That helps keep me from passing out.

My brother talked me out of surgery saying he thought I needed to sweat to remove toxins from my body. I thought about it and concluded he was probably right, for me.

TMI, the only time I don't sweat? When i'm canoeing
    (see the I don't want to canoe anymore thread)

Me, me, me!!!! From every pore of my body basically since onset of puberty (now 20 years ago). It's socially horrifying, professionally limiting, uncomfortable, potentially dangerous to my health (prone to overheat in the summer and always too cold in the winter), destroys my clothing, and has otherwise majorly detracted from my quality of life. Just started Botox treatments for the first time recently. So far so good but wary of potential compensatory sweating, a known side effect. My insurance company approved it but only a set amount over the course of a year so hoping it will help. I used the International Hyperhidrosis Society website to find a dermatologist in my area who specializes in this kind of treatment.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'm dealing with it too now sadly. I have to wash my bedsheets frequently because they are caked in sweat and I am definitely not doing too well in this weather.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I was going to post that site, but .. I like this one better, it's gentler but includes having it checked out by doctors

http://www.bye-bye-excessive-armpit-...eat-other.html

I went to Mayo clinic years ago, had many tests. Conclusion: yes you sweat a lot. Have you tried washing with vinegar?
    Send in the fruit bats please.
    (but they ruled out diabetes etc, which is good). But that was many years ago, so they are probably better now.