The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Both my horses hurt their private parts! Really!

With the extreme heat, my gelding has been stocked up in his sheath for the first time. Already had vet check, it's getting better with cold hosing, and I've read the horror stories about liver and other issues being the source. He's fine, but just walking since it's awkward, but helpful to improve circulation.

So today I go to ride my mare who's been taking up the slack, and I saw blood on the inside of her hind fetlock. I looked up her legs for the source, and nothing on the legs, then voila! Under her tail, on the side of her vaginal opening, a HUGE wound - round, raw, and swollen! Called the vet and we think that she must have been rubbing due to being in heat, and caught a branch or something inside her vagina - a 2" gash through the first layer of muscle, but not too deep, thankfully. But it kind of "hooked" her when she pulled away (our best veterinary CSI-investigation), hence the large external wound. POOR THING!

She should be fine, but I just have to throw my hands up! BOTH horses have hurt privates, at the same time! Has this EVER happened to anyone else??? Or even just the stick up the butt (not really, thankfully - vagina should heal better than a rectum) - anyone ever had a mare in heat injure herself like that??? Wow. Padded rooms may be in their future!

OUCH

Ouch FOR SURE!!! Sending jingles for them both!

A friend's mare did the same thing! At first we were both dubious, I mean, how in the heck does that happen? But when I started asking around, it seems it's more common than you might think. She is quite a hormonal mare
    She healed up just fine though, and has never done anything similar.

When I was a kid, my dad's horse did the same thing! My brother came running up from the barn after he fed and asked my dad if horses got periods! She, too, ripped herself on a tree branch, but healed fine and never had any problems after that.

I have had geldings rub raw spots on their butt because of ticks that have attached themselves in some pretty hard to reach spots .... anywhere under the tail and between the buttchecks.

Those tickbites can cause a lot of swelling where they have attached .... sheath and anywhere between the buttcheeks and up under the tail.
    Last edited by BaroquePony; Jul. 7, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Pinworms can also cause a horse to rub like that...

My mare injured her vulva on a low-hanging branch also. We saw her numerous times backing up a dead branch and... your imagination can fill in the details.

Vet said it was not all that unusual.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Thanks all! Glad to know it's not that weird, and heals well! She always swings that butt when in heat, and we're next to a breeding farm, so the hormones are intense! I don't think it's pinworms since she is actively in heat and has always been a butt rubber then. And her tail isn't really rubbed. But to rule out all sources of itching, I put some olive oil around her dock and anus, and cleaned her teats. As soon as she went back in her stall, she leaned her butt against the wall and started rubbing! Sigh. Just hope she avoids trees!

is your gelding a rig- as if he is then he could have mounted you horse and cause the injury to her would also explain why hes stock up
    i would check to see if your mare in season and dont think they cant hurt neddies inside because they can
    i had a mare yonks ago that rig jumped her out in the field when i was working he went through her viginal wall and burst an artery she had 160 stiches inside and out

sounds to me as if he did

@goeslikestink - can see the reason you'd say that, but the injuries are just a coincidence. They are boarded and turned out in gender specific herds, so no boys around the girls. The boy is just stocked up, and improving with cold hosing. The mare clearly caught a branch, since it hooked her as it came out and that's caused a large external injury, too. Thankfully she's looking okay so far - just not sure how long it'll take to heal. At least it finally cooled off a bit! Hopefully she'll be less itchy now.

Had a mare bleeding once but couldn't figure out from where. Took the vet putting her hand inside her vulva to find the tear - about 3 inches inside and easily big enough for her to put her entire hand inside once we found it. Had to be flushed and cleaned daily - luckily she's a wonderful mare and didn't fuss about it. Must have hurt like the dickens...

Just wanted to follow-up on this since I use COTH for research so often myself. My mare healed beautifully and was back in work after two weeks. My gelding became the bigger concern. His sheath was swollen all over initially, so cold hosed and light work at first. Then did two weeklong treatments of Tridex for the inflammation, about 2 weeks apart. After a bit over 3 months, a fairly large, hard swelling remained on the left side of his sheath, from the tip almost to his abdomen. No ulceration, and no evident pain, and peeing normally. But we did a biopsy, and lab work showed an inflammatory response, likely due to a bug bite. We never saw a clear bite wound or mark, but sometimes these things just linger. I discussed options with my vet, and opting to do nothing more. We could try steroid injections, but vet isn't convinced they always work, and they can cause irritation. Not to say you shouldn't explore causes if your horse experiences a similar issue, but in my case, a happy ending. Not back to normal yet, but nothing really bad is happening, which is good enough for me!

owned a mare for many yrs that once was kicked by another mare with that mare's hind shoe landing inside the vagina. Was a medical emergency because of shock.