The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hair stopped growing

We moved nearly 2 years ago from a humid area to a more dry climate. I had long hair when I got here in October. By February My hair was shoulder length, thinner and has not grown at all since then. Nothing in my diet has changed and I am healthy otherwise. It saves on getting my hair cut, but this is crazy.
    Last edited by candyappy; Oct. 29, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Have your fingernails stopped growing, too? This happened to me about six years ago, no idea why. What has fixed it is daily folic acid. They're tiny little pills; I get the "400" dosage. I take my folic acid - hair and fingernails grow. I stop - they stop growing.

I don't know the science of it and I don't take any other vitamins or supplements, so it's definitely the folic acid.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

My nails grow fine ( when I don't bite them) and are strong and not brittle. I will try the folic acid though. Thanks!!

Went to the doctor and had a complete physical including blood work. Everything was normal except Vitamin D was extremely low. I am on Vit D3 2,000 iu a day.

So for those who may have a similar problem getting blood work may be the way to go.

I don't know yet, if it will help my hair to grow again, but that was one of the things that she said could be a cause.