The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage pony???

Anyone near Eureka, CA? Saw this "dude" and really think he is worth taking a serious look at. Have the link to the ad and you can type his name into YouTube. I nearly closed the video, when suddenly... Wow, what reach and suspension! Just like to find the diamonds in the rough that with the right person can possibly become a super star!

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1802807

Thumbs up

Looks like a good one.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Nice horse. I have a version of the same breed/height in a bay with chrome model. If i can figure out how to post a pic of him, I will. All reining/cow bred though.

Didn't watch the video though.
    Last edited by AZ Native; Jul. 7, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Liked the trot, but not the walk or canter.

No over track at all at walk, and struggled at canter. I guess because I find the walk the hardest to improve I wasn't overly impressed.

His trot actually reminded me of a horse being taught spanish walk; had moments where he looked good, but couldn't maintain the rhythm and looked disjointed. Is that something that could be improved with fitness, or is his trot really just a "trick'?

Well, considering that his rider says that she has never ridden dressage before (and probably doesn't really ride english) and that she also looks like a novice I don't think that the extended trot was even asked for. Plus he's only 5 and was originally ridden western. She has trouble sitting him at the canter and this obviously affects his way of going.

I don't think with these things added up that worrying about his trot or canter is even on my list. His unasked for moments of brilliance at the trot are all I need.

I think it is a bit difficult to fairly judge the walk, would like to see him on a long rein. But I've certainly seen many, many high dollar warmbloods go lateral on that length of rein... And the canter would be better if he were more uphill, but considering he is a quarter horse with more halter breeding(?), it does have some jump and I could see it getting much better with training. The trot could be a bit of an unsustainable trick, but that is why I insist a close by COTH member needs to go check it out!
    For that price point, and the QH breeding, I do think he seems pretty neat and would love to keep seeing off breeds turn heads in dressage. And sounds like he has the brains to be fun to train AND hit the trails, do the junior thing, be for a mother and daughter, etc. Soooo... Somebody from Northern California needs to just go see and report back, okay?

I'd be very tempted to check him out if he were in the northeast!

he looks like he is reacting to his polo wraps hate video stills.

He looks like a cute little guy! Hard to say what sort of prospect he is without sitting on him but I'd venture he's worth taking a look at if you're just wanting a nice all arounder/fun horse. I may be a bit biased though as my little QH reiner doubles as my 2nd/3rd level dressage horse when my warmbloods maim themselves. . His legs are stubby but he doesn't know it. Lol
    Here are some pics:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=9800ba2feb
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com
    www.xhaltsalute.com

i think he might be interesting to look at - but i think the flailing front legs are from the rider coming down hard on his lower back....

anyway, he is trying very hard and that matters a lot.

he is cute too!

Where is the video (never mind, I found it)? Eureka is far northern CA. His pics are cute, and if he is only 14.1, he qualifies for Pony awards! From the pics, it looks like he has a nice shoulder and steps under nicely, nice little guy!

OK, after seeing the video - would be really interesting to see him ridden by a rider that more matches his size and is a bit more of a dressage rider - I think he's got some potential...

Cannot find a video

If you type his name into the YouTube search you will find the video. Mbm, I agree that the movement could be from hitting the back of the saddle as I have seen that happen... But so far you are the closest COTH dressage person with a penchant for ponies, so ???
    TheHobbit, your guy is über cute! Nice pictures!

unfortunately he is far away - like hours..... and i dont have the ability for one more! wish i did tho!

edit 4.5 hours each way..... plus the price is high IMO.

This is what an AA horse should be. Kind and willing. I think he's cute.

He's really cute. I want a pony!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    He looks like a cute little guy! Hard to say what sort of prospect he is without sitting on him but I'd venture he's worth taking a look at if you're just wanting a nice all arounder/fun horse. I may be a bit biased though as my little QH reiner doubles as my 2nd/3rd level dressage horse when my warmbloods maim themselves. . His legs are stubby but he doesn't know it. Lol
    Here are some pics:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=9800ba2feb
    Very nice!

I like him for a driving (CDE) pony.

Sold :-(.

I thought he was priced quite reasonably - 5 year old with some good potential, already "been there, done that". And yes, he is sold - I'm looking for a youngster to play with for a year or two while I wait for one of my two year olds to be "ready to ride" - he looked like a fun one. And get a pony card on him, get him out to a few shows. But he sold - thank you COTH,what great marketing