The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation In defense of cell phone/tablet/netbook users!

The other thread had very good points, I too hate having to be in public with folks so oblivious they become rude!

BUT!

There are times, as an adult, that I go out in public and use my cell phone. It is a choice and I expect you all to at least tolerate it LOL!!

When waiting for an appointment in a lobby or at the DMV, it is not my job to chitchat with you. I am perfectly fine just being quiet and maybe emailing or reading here at COTH.

When I am by myself at a restaurant I tend to sit in the bar. I often order hotwings and a salad off the bar menu. I am not required to carry on a conversation with anyone if I feel like eating in peace or emailing, Facebooking, playing Words with friends, whatever!

While waiting in line at the market (in a long line, not while being rung up), if you remark rudely about "one of those can't get off the cell phone" am I free to remark back "Oh, one of those with improper grammar and poor hygiene again?".

While I agree that loud, disrespectful and/or rude tech usage should be banned, don't forget that just because someone has one it doesn't automatically make them rude. Don't let your personal bias get in the way of actuality!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Especially as there are more and more legitimate uses for getting on your phone in a social situation, it's important to keep that in mind. I feel bad about whipping out my smartphone when standing at the dentist's receptionist's desk, but that's my calendar. Promise I'm not goofing off with it, most of the time...

I think, just like anything else, it can be fine and other times rude.

I wouldn't go to a friends house to visit and whip out the book I've been reading and ignore her the entire time either LOL!!

I just don't like the whole snitty "Oh you dare bring out your cell phone in public within 50' of mememe!!!" attitude, it's rude and poor behavior.
    The Knotted Pony

The dividing line for me is when you are interacting with other people - or SHOULD be at least aware of them.

I don't assume anybody using a cell phone is rude. In the waiting room, etc., fine.

If you, generic you and nobody here in specific, are using a cell phone for a phone call (audibly having nothing to do with your calendar or such) WHILE:
    1. You are checking out yourself/at the bank counter/you yourself are face to face with somebody conducting a transaction. Not just in line, but your number is up, and you are talking on the cell phone.
    2. You are ignoring all around you and blocking the aisle for them in the store, etc. Ending the call isn't necessary; being aware enough of your surroundings and traffic flow to move aside on at least the first asking, preferably before they had to ask is just polite.
    3. You are ignoring your kids who are running wild while you yak on the cell.
    4. You are STOPPING the line while yakking on your cell, just standing there, stalling everybody, and not checking out even though you are up next, presumably to avoid violating rule #1 (you really think this is more polite?).
    5. Etc., etc.

Then yes, I will consider you rude.

I got amused in church last week. I'm usually up in the choir loft, but we're renovating, so moved church to the gym for a few months starting last week. No chairs on temp platform for choir, so they sit down below and just come up when they sing. I hadn't had the chance to observe other folks close up in the sermon for several years.

Pastor stood up and said, "Turn in your Bibles to Verse This." Immediately, about ten people within the few rows visible around me whipped out their cell phones and obviously called up their Bible app, following the text on their screens.

Didn't bother me a bit. But nor were they making noise and disrupting the service, stalling traffic flow, etc. And when their active participation was required again at the next hymn, they all immediately put their cell phones away.

I get a daily Bible verse on my phone, I LOVE it! I can't quite get rid of the book of the Bible though, I love going through the pages.

This makes me wonder if I would like a Kindle?
    The Knotted Pony

Why is peeing and talking on the phone a bad thing? Why would someone have to find another bathroom to use because somebody else is peeing and talking on the phone. I mastered the whole 2 things at once deal years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

I don't know. Maybe they think someone is splashing pee everywhere?

At work I had no time to myself, none. Even in the breakroom I would get accosted by reps needing something. I often took 10 min breaks in the bathroom playing Words With Friends. I would purposefully turn up the sound because the noise is so funny and people would break out laughing if I was in the stall "boopbeep BOOPBOOP!-ing" away! Great way to decompress.
    The Knotted Pony