The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Default Organization/Storage brainstorming

Hoping to squeeze this one in before OT day is closed...

I'm not usually this active on OT days haha; don't know whats got into me this time! HOWEVER, my room is very reasonably sized but seriously lacks in storage. I have one bookshelf which is not nearly enough for all my books, even after multiple purges, so I'm having to spread them around the house. This annoys me because certain family members do not take care of books like they should! Anyway.

Now I'm starting classes again in a month (AHHHH!) I'll need to squeeze in a small desk + preferably storage drawers. Ideas for these? Or a small bookcase set aside for "school" books? I'd kind of like to keep this area a bit separate so I don't feel like I'm sleeping in an office or dorm room.

Anyone know of any good blogs or websites for this stuff, or have any ideas themselves?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

IKEA is made for people like you. Is there a store near you?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    IKEA is made for people like you. Is there a store near you?
    But see thats the problem. IKEA just reminds me too much of dorm/student apartment life....and I'm soooo done with all that. I guess it would be ok for inside the closet, or places where I don't have to see it every time I walk into my room. I don't even know where the closest one to me is, so its probably a good thing I'm not tempted!

Also, my parents have put a lot of time/effort/money into making my room look amazing (and it does! I love that I actually get to live in it now!), so I feel bad pairing their nice antique or hand crafted stuff with ikea. I will have to get creative to find this desk, though my mom saw one in LLBean she thought would go well, so we'll see if that works. I've still got the storage situation though, I know I can use my closet better than I do!
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

What about a desk with a drop down top that serves as the laptop/writing surface with bookshelves on top, and drawers on the bottom, with a cubby hole for your legs? I'm thinking the antique sort of writing desk, secretaire
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    What about a desk with a drop down top that serves as the laptop/writing surface with bookshelves on top, and drawers on the bottom, with a cubby hole for your legs? I'm thinking the antique sort of writing desk, secretaire
    I would LOVE one of these, and actually hadn't really considered one. We actually have one in the study, but I can't see my parents letting me move it to my room. I think it previously belonged to my great grandfather or something. I'll have to keep an eye out though...

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Don't write off IKEA so fast.
    Not everything from there looks like it came out of a box.

Check out their desks online - they have some classic-styled stuff that could work for you at a good price.
    Like:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30204185/

How big is your room?
    Get some graph paper and see how many sf of storage you can fit in w/o feeling cramped.
    If you have that many books maybe a wall of shelving like a classic library?
    Desk/workspace could fit into that too.

If you have a twin bed you can treat it like a daybed so it serves as a sofa too and makes the room less bedroom-y.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Can you upload a picture of your room? I LOVE helping people with storage stuff, but I'm visual so I HAVE to see it to be able to offer much advice!