The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

This past weekend my latest pointer finished her championship by winning the points 2 our of 3 days. The last win included being put up Best of Opposite Sex over multiple group winning specials. It was quite an exciting weekend. Now on to attempt to get her some field titles.

2 members found this post helpful.

WOW!!! Congratulations Tradewind!! Do you think you'll bring her back out as a special after you do some field work? Sounds like the judges think she could hold her own out there .

Anyone else have any updates or shows coming up?

I am bringing Dex out as a special in April *gulp*. Of course his best friend chewed off half his beard and he dropped 1.5 lbs while I was out of town for spring break. I am hoping I can get him put back together by mid April so he looks somewhat decent.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, Tradewinds, way to go with the Pointer bitch!

And I will be eager to hear how Dex does as a Special!

Yesterday my Irish Wolfhound Solo was Reserve Winners Bitch to a very nice bitch, but she showed well so I was pleased with her. She is entered Saturday and Sunday, and they are majors, so fingers crossed!

I brought my yearling bitch Tori to the show building Wednesday to practice our Beginner Novice Obedience exercises, and to my dismay she totally checked out mentally. She wouldn't take treats or look at me, and I couldn't even get her to sit. Total panic, as I have her entered in Beginner Novice Obedience next weekend at the Potomac Valley IW Specialty in MD, my first time in the obedience ring in twenty years. It should be very entertaining.

Finally the other wolfhounds showed up for breed judging. I was slumped in a chair, despondent, wondering why I ever thought we could do obedience. Tori said hello to the other wolfhounds, and suddenly I had my Tori back. She was eager for treats, we sat, we heeled, we did fronts, we played our little games. She was all, "Oh, you should have told me this was a wolfhound-friendly venue"!

We will be going back over today to hit the building and an outside novel place to practice, and will do so this week unless I chicken out about it and decide she's not ready. I think she does understand the exercises, it will just be a matter of whether she feels relaxed and confident enough to do them in a strange place. And whether I do! I am very comfortable showing in the breed ring, but the Obedience Ring, whoa!

Anybody else feel this way?

The pointer clubs 75th anniversary National Specialty is in April, so she will be entered as a special there. I hope to spot special her here or there while she is doing the field work. We will see after that. I always owner handle my dogs and I am not sure I feel like going on the road as often as it takes to really campaign a dog...My husband is working on the opposite coast for awhile and I have a business, so I will see. I have a young dog to get started etc, so I may put my conformation efforts there.

By the way Wolfhounds are one of my favorite breeds, along with Deerhounds. I owned a wonderful deerhound back in the day....amazing dog..I would get another in a minute except for the relatively short lifespan. Good luck with yours.

And I wish for a speedy beard regrowth for you Grace, it can be so frustrating.

Great updates!
    I showed my special at a specialty last weekend (NE Sporting Dog Show) but didn't win anything; was really trying for Select Dog but they pulled the veteran who is a very nice retired special...but I would have liked those points.

I was hoping to enter the Owner Handler BOB class coming up in a few weeks but my breeder (our groomer) is out of the country and I am sure she would kill me if I groomed him. It's tough to find a show groomer you really trust; so we'll have to miss this one. But I'm definitely entering the next one. Can't wait!

I hear you Tradewind, I always owner-handle too (except one time when I had a broken leg), and am content to finish them, I've never seriously campaigned a special, though I may bring a special out once in awhile and often at Specialties. I think it is a whole different game when you get to the Group and BIS levels and what you need to do to get a dog to that level (though I have had Group winning and placing owner-handled dogs).

Can dog sports brags go here too? My dachshund Seamus was great at the NADAC trial yesterday. I still don't know if he just gets totally distracted in the ring or anxious about the commotion, so he still hasn't gotten a Q, but he was hugely improved and I was happy with that. His regulars was pretty awesome--very fast and focused except for running past the first tunnel entrance toward the crating area (just about every novice dog did that, at least) and missing his weaves. Jumpers was similarly very good--he had two moments of distraction with interesting-smelling areas on the artificial turf, but the rest was fast and focused. Touch 'n' Go I will just not think about, and Tunnelers he ran past a couple tunnels as he got distracted, but at least he was running fast and not stopping to sniff, so we just did the last one and called it a day. So, nothing all that mind-blowing, but I'm happy that at least he's on the right track!

And all those NQs did let us win the wine at the winer's raffle. (:
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Yay for Seamus! I bet he is highly entertaining to watch!

So far, Solo has not gotten any points at this circuit, but there is a bitch competing who is of exceptional quality, which is so nice to see and does soften the blow. Yesterday Solo won the Open Bitch class of three, but no points. We show again this afternoon. The drive to Raleigh is getting pretty old.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    ...but there is a bitch competing who is of exceptional quality, which is so nice to see and does soften the blow.
    Yes it softens the blow for a while, and then it gets old. The #2 dog in my breed lives close to us and is just about the same age as my special. *sigh* I'll need to go on the road to win the breed, I think (although, FWIW, I think my dog is just as good, but he's not out every weekend and has just lil' ol' me at the end of his lead v. a professional handler [who is the other dog's breeder/owner, so that's great, but still tough to compete against])....

Can't even look forward to the veteran classes for my guy...

True, getting beaten by a really good one is less irritating than getting beaten by a really bad dog, but yes it does get old, no one enjoys being "point fodder" too many times in a row. Clearly Solo needs to mature, grow some coat, and be lucky enough to not encounter the rising stars in the breed.

Not that I would wish anything bad to happen to your competition, S1969, but who knows whether he will make it to veteran status, sounds like he has a demanding life compared to yours!

Congrats to everyone and good luck in the coming days!!

My blue Dobe bitch earned her 6th RAE leg on the 15th of this month! She needs 4 more!

We are entered in rally at the shows in W. Springfield, MA on the first and third weekends in April....hope to finish her RAE title

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    Not that I would wish anything bad to happen to your competition, S1969, but who knows whether he will make it to veteran status, sounds like he has a demanding life compared to yours!
    Yes, this is true; and also if he's out hard and heavy at *just* 3, he might not be out at 4-5, which is when my breeder has had the most luck with her specials in the past. So for now we're just dabbling a little, chipping away at GCh points, and will see what happens. It's hard, though!

Today our 7 month old puppy bitch, Sonesta Sophies Choice, won Winners Bitch which was surprise enough, but then went on to take Best of Breed! Of course, she did NOTHING in Group. But we are very proud as it was her first show.

Yesterday she was Reserve Winners Bitch.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

2 members found this post helpful.

Congrats Sonesta! I assume from your sig this was a Cavalier?

Today I was so proud of Tori, Irish Wolfhound yearling bitch, who just got her first Beginner Novice obedience leg with a score of 182 1/2! This was at our regional Specialty in Bel Air, Md. I thought our heeling sucked, so I was shocked to be called back for a run off for second place! I even squeaked " Seriously?" to the judge! And Tori won the run off for second place, heeling better than she had done in her class.

Then Vale, her sister, who I co-own (bred and raised) won her 12-18 class in Sweeps and in the regular classes. I was supposed to show her, but bowed out as I couldn't take the pressure- she has won every single class she has been entered in at every national and regional specialty and was Best Puppy in the Us national and in Canada. Plus, her male co-owner is longer legged and can keep up with her better than I can.

So a good day for Hound Hill. But the best part is, I get to share a bed tonight with Tori, and she is having a good time here with me.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    WOW!!! Congratulations Tradewind!! Do you think you'll bring her back out as a special after you do some field work? Sounds like the judges think she could hold her own out there .

Anyone else have any updates or shows coming up?

I am bringing Dex out as a special in April *gulp*. Of course his best friend chewed off half his beard and he dropped 1.5 lbs while I was out of town for spring break. I am hoping I can get him put back together by mid April so he looks somewhat decent.
    Dex may have lost part of his beard, but it was a spectacular action shot, as I recall! He really is a neat boy! Donna speaks very highly of the both of you!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    Dex may have lost part of his beard, but it was a spectacular action shot, as I recall! He really is a neat boy! Donna speaks very highly of the both of you!
    LOL. It was pretty spectacular:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

His girlfriend (a lovely Axcium female) pulled out a huge mouthful of beard on the underside of his chin which was the final death of his beard.

Donna is such an amazing mentor and one of the funniest people I know. She is also the master of guiding people through a crash course to Dog Showing 101. Any word yet on who the parents are for your litter?

Grace that photo is amazing! And love your other work too! Lovely lovely photos!

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    Grace that photo is amazing! And love your other work too! Lovely lovely photos!

P.
    I wish I could take credit. My baby sister is the talent behind the camera. I've happily been the assistant since she was 15 so I like to pretend that I've had a hand in her success . She is about half-way through her undergrad and I hope she will pursue it as a career. I am a very (very) proud big sis.