The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Congrats, Iechris! What breed?

Bummer time to go lame! Thank goodness she was OK.

Congrats, iechris, on your BBE win! That's huge!

Here are a couple pictures of Eliza, whom I mentioned in a earlier post. She is a border terrier puppy and is bubbling with happiness and personality!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...x81/Image1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...x81/Image2.jpg

My 2yo miniature poodle finally got to his first show in June. We weren't originally going to show him because we thought he was going to get too big. He stopped RIGHT at 15" so we decided to go ahead and show him. He got a major his first night out and two more points the second day. The third day he didn't place. I think he was over it by then. His breeder/handler/my friend said he didn't move out very well the third day which killed it.

His next show is 8/18 and then another the following weekend.

Laptop is broken and I don't have any way of posting pictures at the moment. I'll see if I can figure out how to get photobucket or something to cooperate though.

^ Congrats!!!!! I can't wait to see pictures.

Eliza is a cupcake!!! A blue? Bet she is so much fun.

Finished two littermates (Dals) on consecutive days last weekend, just before their first birthday. I co-bred the litter, there is a brother at 10 points with one major, and another bitch, maybe the best one, yet to show. Repeating the breeding next spring!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Took ten month old IW puppy to her first dog show, and was very proud of her behavior! She handled the slick floor great, and was confident and friendly to people and other dogs. Only one other IW there, a male, who was BOB, but no points for either. Now I'll let her grow up and see how she matures before I show her again.

Then Friday, took 18 month old to her second dog show, and she also was friendly and relaxed, though initially skeptical of the slippery floor, but better as the day went on. She beat one other bitch for her first point, and was BOB as there were only the two, so I took her into the Group ring, where she was able to keep up with the Afghan (who won the Group). This is huge for her, as she broke a toe as a puppy and damaged the growth plate, and has not been sound on it til very recently (thanks to Dausequin). I thought we would have to amputate the toe, so glad we didn't. She was a really unfortunate looking puppy, topline like a camel, easy-westy front, could not trot, skinny, patchy coat, really the ugly duckling. I now see swanlike qualities!

Anyone else show this weekend?

Oh, they had owner-handler group competition as well, interesting, wonder if that will catch on. You just had to check a box that said you were OH eligible, then they awarded that after or with BOB. We did not place, but got another chance to be in the ring which was great for my youngster.

My boy is up in NC showing without me this weekend because I couldn't afford to miss the first week of grad school. No points but he's placed first, reserve, and third, in open boy so far.

He did so well as a baby but now that he is competing against adults, his lack of body is really holding him back. Since he is also my performance prospect I'd rather him wait on the points until he structurally fills out than pad him up with fat to give the illusion of fullness. We are just considering these next few months "experience builders."

He's been gone a full week so I cannot wait for him to get back in tonight. I am babysitting his biological sister who is a blast but she's so much like him that it just makes me miss him more.

Houndhill: Any way we could coerce you into posting the 18 month olds ugly duckling to swan transformation?

The third sibling, a male, finished on Friday with a Best in Sweeps and a 5 point BOW at the Greater Denver Dalmatian Club Specialties. One more sister to go, but not til next year. We want to take her to the National.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Gracelikerain:

Sorry, was afraid the camera would break if I took photos of Solo in her Ugly Duckling phase! I am not kidding you, she was about the most unattractive puppy I have ever seen!

But we went back today, turns out I misunderstood who was entered, and again, she beat a different very nice bitch and got another point. I marvel at her transformation.

How old is your boy? I think, once they are shown a time or two as puppies so they are accustomed to the routine, you might as well wait til they are truly competitive, if you can, as it will save you much money and frustraion.

I know it is hard to wait, but so often it will save you quite a bit. It is amazing how much better they look if you give them time to mature.

Congrats to everyone on their new titles! We don't have any showing in the summer for agility, so our first show is the 2nd weekend in September and it's our first AKC Agility show.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    How old is your boy? I think, once they are shown a time or two as puppies so they are accustomed to the routine, you might as well wait til they are truly competitive, if you can, as it will save you much money and frustraion.

I know it is hard to wait, but so often it will save you quite a bit. It is amazing how much better they look if you give them time to mature.
    I agree with this. Or, as I suggested before, if he is really nice but can't get out of the open class, put him somewhere else and see how he does. We see dogs win out of a lot of puppy classes in my breed, so it's not necessarily difficult to win as a puppy. But the judge can only judge what is in front of him/her, and if a dog looks immature in an Open Dog class, they can only assume it lacks substance, and it will have a harder time. The same dog might look perfectly proportioned in 12-18 though.

I have a friend who did the opposite - she put her bulky young dog in Open before he was even 12 months because he looked too big for a puppy class. Not too tall, but had more substance than dogs of his age and it made him look out of place. He did well in the Open class, though.

I don't have a *personal* show update, but my dog's sire just won his Regional Specialty and National Specialty in Canada. He's the #1 Brittany Spaniel in Canada, #6 Sporting Dog.

http://www.canuckdogs.com/index.php?...8-ad5fd409b15a

I'm pretty excited about it!

S1969: What a stunning boy!! I bet yours will follow in his footsteps.

His co-owner absorbs all of his showing expense and she enjoys him so much that she doesn't mine campaigning him through a funk. That being said, I don't want judges to get a set perception of him as a dog lacking body and maturity. After this less than stellar weekend we are going to two more shows that are already booked and then he's getting time off until early spring or so. I finally scanned and cropped his Group 3 picture:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...ter/group3.jpg

His weight is phenomenal for performance but those judges just love beef cakes so hopefully we can find a middle ground. Anyone else have the internal battle between their dogs ideal weight and the substance that is desirable for your breed in the conformation ring?

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    His weight is phenomenal for performance but those judges just love beef cakes so hopefully we can find a middle ground. Anyone else have the internal battle between their dogs ideal weight and the substance that is desirable for your breed in the conformation ring?
    Ugh, YES! Most judges like fat dogs, it drives me nuts. Especially with a breed that's supposed to be able to work, like my breed (Amstaff).. how do they think those fat sausage dogs are going to get anything done?!

I simply refuse to make my dog fat for the sake of showing. If that costs him wins, then so be it. I might add a little bit of weight before shows, but I'm not going to make him obese.

Anyway. /endrant

I don't have any show updates, but I do have a new stacked picture of my boy. I'm not sure if I've posted him here before.. his name is Sako, aka AKC Ptd./UKC GRCH Kayo's Make An Impact CGC, TDI. He's 21 months old now:

http://kadysturtsman.smugmug.com/Ani...IMG0347T-L.jpg
    -Kady

Diffuse I think I just had a heart attack. I am a hairy dog kind of person to my very core and the ONLY short haired dog I am determined to own at some point is a bench bred red and white male am staff. I would love to do performance with him but even if he wanted to just sit around and look beautiful I would be 100% okay with that. They are my kind of eye candy.

Your boy is truly swoon worthy. Have you ventured outside of the conformation ring with him? He looks like he has potential to be a really athletic guy.

Slightly OT do you ever post on a raw forum? I vaguely remember a stunning am staff with a similar name.

Diffuse I think I just had a heart attack. I am a hairy dog kind of person to my very core and the ONLY short haired dog I am determined to own at some point is a bench bred red and white male am staff. I would love to do performance with him but even if he wanted to just sit around and look beautiful I would be 100% okay with that. They are my kind of eye candy.

Your boy is truly swoon worthy. Have you ventured outside of the conformation ring with him? He looks like he has potential to be a really athletic guy.

Slightly OT do you ever post on a raw forum? I vaguely remember a stunning am staff with a similar name.
    well don't do that! Thank you though!

Yes, Sako does more than just look pretty He does agility and we're venturing into weight pull in the fall! He was bred to work as well as the conformation ring. He's insanely athletic, drive for days. Another reason why I don't think I could ever get him "show fat"!

And yes, I do post on Dog Food Chat, user name is kady05 over there If you ever want a performance bred Amstaff, let me know, my breeder is awesome!
    -Kady

Quote Originally Posted by diffuse01 View Post
    well don't do that! Thank you though!

Yes, Sako does more than just look pretty He does agility and we're venturing into weight pull in the fall! He was bred to work as well as the conformation ring. He's insanely athletic, drive for days. Another reason why I don't think I could ever get him "show fat"!

And yes, I do post on Dog Food Chat, user name is kady05 over there If you ever want a performance bred Amstaff, let me know, my breeder is awesome!
    I knew your boy looked familiar. Not to sound creepy but your boy was actually the dog who made me look into am staffs a while back because prior to seeing his picture I didn't know what they were called. Any videos of him trialing?

Pending marriage, my boyfriend and I plan on getting a second dog in 3-4 years so that we stagger the ages of our dogs. Ideally I would love our second dog to be a running partner for him that could double as my second agility dog. Would you mind pm'ing me the breeders information?

I knew your boy looked familiar. Not to sound creepy but your boy was actually the dog who made me look into am staffs a while back because prior to seeing his picture I didn't know what they were called. Any videos of him trialing?

Pending marriage, my boyfriend and I plan on getting a second dog in 3-4 years so that we stagger the ages of our dogs. Ideally I would love our second dog to be a running partner for him that could double as my second agility dog. Would you mind pm'ing me the breeders information?
    We haven't trialed yet, still training. Just finished an 8wk. class where he progressed extremely fast, starting back up in Sept. (once it cools off) and hopefully we'll do our first trial in the fall!

I'll PM you now, if you're waiting that long, you could possibly get a Sako baby
    -Kady

I've been yelling this from the mountain tops this week! LOL

Lars earned a spot on the American Rottweiler Club's Top 10 list for Open Obedience for this past quarter!

I guess I need to back off screwing around in agility and get back to obedience to a) keep us there and b) get started in utility for real.