The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    I have Dobermans and my blue bitch, Miley, earned her first leg in Advanced Rally today with a score of 95 and 1st place!! And she earned her second leg in novice obedience with a score of 194 1/2 and fourth place (out of 12 dogs!). Good girl!!

Three more days of dog showing to go tomorrow and this weekend!
    Congratulations!!! We showed in breed today and didn't even get looked at. The judge didn't even give me a chance to stack my BBE hitch. I had not even stood up straight from putting her on the table before the judge was in her space. The pro handler took the points for both hitches and dogs.

Gale did win her Beginner Novice Obedience class with a 195.

Marshfield what kind of dog do you have? Will you be in the ob/rally building at all in the rest of the show?

I did watch the beginner novice B class as my friend was in it with her Golden. If you see me with the blue Dobe bitch say hi!! I'm sure she's the only blue Dobe at the show

Me! Me! Me! I have a huge brag!

At our last show, my Scottish Deerhound Lyric won Winners Bitch and Best of Opposite, over a Special bitch, for a 3 point major!

And....it was judged by the same judge who did our 2012 National Specialty.

And... Best of Breed was the same dog who WON our National Specialty this year.

And... Best of Winners was a Hickory pup (Hickory - 2011 BIS at Westminster - her first litter are cleaning up at shows)

And... this was our THIRD show ever - for both of us. I've never shown dogs before! Our first two shows were 1) big supported entry and 2) big regional specialty at Louisville.

And... I got Lyric when she was 10 months old and she was NOT well-socialized at all. She's now 16 months and this was just huge for her. I'm beaming with pride!

The Scottish Deerhound community is really tremendous. They have been so supportive and encouraging. They are, obviously, a small and close-knit group and most of them are quite familiar with Lyric's background and understand how far she's come along. I got cheers and hugs from my fellow competitors when we exited from the ring.

Here's a picture - not the best, but better than nothing....Fortunately for us, Lyric is good at self-stacking - lol! http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13.../Lyricshow.jpg

Okay, thanks for opportunity to brag! I'll shut up now... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mao View Post
    Me! Me! Me! I have a huge brag!

At our last show, my Scottish Deerhound Lyric won Winners Bitch and Best of Opposite, over a Special bitch, for a 3 point major!

Okay, thanks for opportunity to brag! I'll shut up now... :-)
    Congratulations!!!
    That's a great accomplishment no matter what - but for your 3rd show, and in such great company....that is awesome! You deserve to brag!!!

I had the tri color Corgi in Thursday's Beginner Novice B. We showed again today in breed, no points but the baby and her momma (the obedience bitch) both showed well. Then we had to leave so I could work at the e-clinic. I would have taken another day to show but one of my colleagues is visiting family in Europe.

My girl earned both her Advanced Rally & her CD titles today. SO proud of her

Congratulations!!

Congrats to everyone on their most recent accomplishments! I love this thread - we need to keep it going as a place for everyone to brag. Many times, non-doggie friends just don't understand

I don't have any brags, but wondering if anyone has ever used cavaletti to improve their dog's movement? There seems to be no reason my dog doesn't reach more than he does in the ring, and if you watch carefully, he'll often start out bending and reaching properly. But then he'll start just swinging his front legs from the shoulder, and not bending/reaching. (Is this what they call "daisy-clipping"?) (E.g. good for horses but not for dogs?)

Anyway, never really thought much about it as a class dog, but obviously as a special he'll have to show more reach or he'll be out-moved. I'm ok with him not being a special if he isn't built for the job, but hate to give up on him as well.

I thought we'd video tape him moving at home on the driveway, on grass, and over cavaletti to see if he changes the way he moves. I am thinking about throwing him in a show next month close to home because it's outside and he's never shown on grass. But in the meantime we'll start doing some work with poles and see if it changes anything....

Anyone else ever try it?

I have used caveletti, and a very well known Afghan Hound handler used to use caveletti for reach,, and small jumps to help toplines.

^ I haven't tried it but I would be really interested to see any footage and hear how it works for you.

Interesting - I've seen a few websites and some good suggestions so I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll share the video just to see if other people can help identify if there is any change? Was too hot today and then it poured, so I didn't start yet, but maybe tomorrow.

Show update:

Dexter had his third weekend out last weekend and went reserve, second, and third in open dog. He was impeccably groomed and beautifully handled by his co-owner but it was obvious that (a) he needs more weight (b) his leash skills are lacking.

The last two shows he started in puppy so I think he was given a bit more leniency in both categories. However he is rapidly approaching the one year mark so from here on out we will start him in open dog which means he is getting judged against the big boys. In the ring he just lacks the substance of most of the boys which will come with age but the leash skills are definitely something that I can improve in the mean time.

He has a lovely loose leash heel on a flat collar so I made the mistake of thinking the knowledge would transfer. At his first two shows the excitement of the show seemed to be enough to make him animated but obedient. Now that he's figured out the routine he wants to wander on the lead and break his stack at the end of the down and back.

Any suggestions? Has anyone had any success clicker training the free stack?

Heading to Keene, NH on Sunday. For the dog who isn't gaiting as desired, I would suggest a chiropractic adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Show update:

Dexter had his third weekend out last weekend and went reserve, second, and third in open dog.
    Yay! Congratulations on your Reserve Win!

The last two shows he started in puppy so I think he was given a bit more leniency in both categories. However he is rapidly approaching the one year mark so from here on out we will start him in open dog which means he is getting judged against the big boys. In the ring he just lacks the substance of most of the boys which will come with age but the leash skills are definitely something that I can improve in the mean time.
    Why not show him in 12-18 month dog? If he lacks the substance of an adult dog, you should stay out of that class and try to get to Winners another way. My dog won a specialty major as the only entry in the American Bred class once. Doesn't always work, but that particular day it was a way of avoiding a very competitive 12-18 month class and it worked for us. But I'd at least stay out of Open until you age out of 12-18.

He has a lovely loose leash heel on a flat collar so I made the mistake of thinking the knowledge would transfer. At his first two shows the excitement of the show seemed to be enough to make him animated but obedient. Now that he's figured out the routine he wants to wander on the lead and break his stack at the end of the down and back.

Any suggestions? Has anyone had any success clicker training the free stack?
    We didn't specifically use a clicker but whenever I had him off leash I'd practice his recall and his free stack together. I'd hold up my index finger and he would stack in front of me - no reward for sitting. A clicker would definitely speed it up. You can give it a verbal cue as well.

Marshfield - we have a chiro already. But, actually making a video of him gaiting at home and over cavaletti was really informative and I sent it to the chiro and we're going to work on a few things. Basically he looked great at home and loser-y in the show. His best trot was in between gallop strides so I believe the chiro is also going to give us some ideas for strengthening his core so that he can hold a big trot for longer without needing to break to gallop. And some stretching exercises to work on. Then, of course, the rest will be conditioning. I know he spends about 90% of his daily "exercise" at the gallop so it doesn't help.

I have a little brag. We showed at Waukesha Kennel Club/Burlington Kennel Club in Wisconsin last weekend. We showed four of the five days, and our just 10 month old, Eliza, was BOW on Friday for two points, reserve on Sunday, and WB on Monday for her second major!! This is just her third weekend being shown, and she has 12 points and both majors (one of those majors being a 5-pointer from when she was six months old)! At every show she's been at, she has been the youngest dog there by far.

This puppy is SUCH a doll. She has the greatest and cutest personality...it's just icing on the cake that she's pretty, too. I didn't really want to finish her fast because she's fun to show and I'm enjoying it, but I guess "Baby E" has other ideas Thanks for letting me brag!

Congrats to all! I am enjoying the updates. Please remind us of what breed you are showing.

I have used cavelleti to help with the wolfhounds' gait. Swimming might also help with front reach. You can also "capture" the initial movement you like and mark it with a clicker. Here is an article by Sue Ailsby about shaping the free stack, and she has another on that website about shaping conformation gaiting:

http://www.sue-eh.ca/page24/page40/

I've got two youngsters (Irish Wolfhounds) entered in local shows two weeks from now, one in 9-12 Puppy and one in 12-18 months. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the puppy's coat. She is in that unfortunate "molting" stage, I might just strip it all out although it will leave her looking pretty naked. I am just showing her for the experience, she has much growing up to do, but I like to get them out at least once as puppies. The yearling looks like a yearling, I am glad to have that class.

S1969: I definitely see the logic in utilizing the 12-18 month class. Ultimately I let his co-owner make all of his class decisions because she has so much more ring experience than I do. I am sure the open dog decision is founded out of years of experience even if it's not the path everyone takes.
    His free-stacking is getting pretty rock solid at home but I think I need to up the pressure and start asking for it in public and other distracting settings. Hopefully the clicker will speed things along.

Doubleclick: CONGRATS!!!! What an awesome weekend for such a young girl. Any pictures?

Anyone been to any good handling clinics lately? I've done the George Alston one two or three times, Eric Liebes, others.....am registered for a Greg Strong one the weekend of the 25th, will probably take a yearling one day and a finished dog othe next. I'd like for our local KC to put one on, any suggestions for other clinicians you've liked?

My brag from earlier this summer was that I won the BBE bitch class at our nationals over 26 other bitches. Then my bitch stepped on something out in the parking lot and ended up going lame in winners. Got a quick ringside lameness exam from an equine vet/WB winner who said she probably stepped on something and to rest her for a few days. She was fine by the time she got home. And don't get me started on the win photo... I do think my favorite part is the white powder looking substance that is on my dress in the photo but not in real life.

Young dog I co-own/co-bred was Reserve in Futurity at nationals.

At our local show last weekend a dog I co-own from my homebred litter finished with his 3rd and 4th major.

My kids did okay, but I took them to the AKC My Dog Can Do That and they totally shocked me by showing some aptitude for agility. Hum...