The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 279
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,352

    Default

    Sonesta! She is so pretty! What's her name?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields



  2. #162
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 1999
    Location
    Cypress, near Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,433

    Default

    Thank you! Her name is Sonesta Sophie's Choice - better known just as "Sophie."
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2010
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Congratulations Sonesta!



  4. #164
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    964

    Default

    I am still processing this, it has not yet sunk in, but our Valley was Best of Breed at the IWCA Specialty in Asheville, NC! Link to pictures:

    http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/2013_...SULTSTHURS.htm

    Her daughter Vale won her class too, icing on the cake!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2010
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    I am still processing this, it has not yet sunk in, but our Valley was Best of Breed at the IWCA Specialty in Asheville, NC! Link to pictures:

    http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/2013_...SULTSTHURS.htm

    Her daughter Vale won her class too, icing on the cake!
    Congratulations!!! What a huge win. You must be beyond excited. Going BISS is on my doggy bucket list. Did you have any inkling that she was going to snag the win during the class or were you taken completely off guard?



  6. #166
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Thanks, GraceLikeRain!

    It is a huge honor, and totally unexpected. I just entered Valley to be half of a brace with her daughter, which totally didn't happen as they had inter generational issues....

    We had taken her out the afternoon before BOB, and she was just awful, pacing, tail in the air...we were all discouraged, thought it was probably best not to take her in the ring the next day.

    That night, I told my co-owner that we might as well take Valley in, as I had gone to the bother of hauling her all that way..



    So I got up early and walked her for about an hour, tiring her out and relaxing her...the co-owner showed her as I was showing my male special, and she showed beautifully, never paced, tail down, looked lovely!



  7. #167
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    964

    Default

    So who showed this past weekend?

    Tori (yearling IW bitch) and I went to an Obedience Trial put on by the local Border Collie Association. She got two legs on her Beginner Novice title, with scores of 190 and 190 1/2, so with the other leg earned at the Specialty, she has a new title! On to the Companion Dog title! The off lead heeling will be a challenge.

    I find we are really enjoying the obedience, last obedience title I put on a wolfhound was twenty years ago! It is nice Tori has something she can excell at since her mother and sister are such conformation over achievers, not that she is aware of that!

    The obedience folk seem very supportive and considerate of one another, such a nice vibe!



  8. #168
    Join Date
    Aug. 3, 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    So who showed this past weekend?
    Congrats on your success!

    We showed a couple weekends ago in rally and obedience. This was the first working trial for my 2 yr old male Dobe (he's shown several times in conformation). He earned two legs in rally novice (scores of 94 & 98) and two legs in beginner novice obedience (187 & 193).

    He also showed at a UDC (United Doberman Club) regional show this past weekend and won his open dogs class and then went reserve winners dog And passed his adult temperament test!

    He's a really fun dog to show!



  9. #169
    Join Date
    Aug. 3, 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    On to the Companion Dog title! The off lead heeling will be a challenge.
    And just in case you didn't know...there is a Pre Novice title (after beginner novice but before novice). Same as novice except there is no group stays. Your dog will do either a sit stay or a down stay (judges choice) in the middle of the ring while you walk the perimeter. The "pre" classes will be offered after July 1st and they are optional classes for the clubs to offer.



  10. #170
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    And just in case you didn't know...there is a Pre Novice title (after beginner novice but before novice). Same as novice except there is no group stays. Your dog will do either a sit stay or a down stay (judges choice) in the middle of the ring while you walk the perimeter. The "pre" classes will be offered after July 1st and they are optional classes for the clubs to offer.
    Wow!! Congrats on your gifted and talented boy! Very nice scores too! And evidently he is also very handsome and versatile!

    Thanks for telling me about the Pre-Novice, that sounds very interesting and might suit us if they offer it at the nearby trials in July. I sure prefer the judge to call the heeling pattern rather than the signs. Group stays should not be a huge deal for Tori. Will you do the Pre-Novice title with your Dobe?

    We are going to three obedience seminar weekends in the next few weeks, so perhaps will get some help with the off lead heeling. We haven't actually tried it much, but I know very well what could happen! (mostly with IWs on the off lead heeling it is lagging, slowness, loss of attention, loss of sits).



  11. #171
    Join Date
    Aug. 3, 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    Wow!! Congrats on your gifted and talented boy! Very nice scores too! And evidently he is also very handsome and versatile!

    Thanks for telling me about the Pre-Novice, that sounds very interesting and might suit us if they offer it at the nearby trials in July. I sure prefer the judge to call the heeling pattern rather than the signs. Group stays should not be a huge deal for Tori. Will you do the Pre-Novice title with your Dobe?

    We are going to three obedience seminar weekends in the next few weeks, so perhaps will get some help with the off lead heeling. We haven't actually tried it much, but I know very well what could happen! (mostly with IWs on the off lead heeling it is lagging, slowness, loss of attention, loss of sits).
    I might try the pre-novice at the 4 day VT show in July (he *should* get his 3rd leg in beginner novice at the end of this month). The off leash might be hit or miss (depending on what is more interesting happening than me!). The group stays would worry me....he is still way to nosey!



  12. #172
    Join Date
    Dec. 18, 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,345

    Default

    Bumping this up for an update...last weekend we won our 2nd BOB ever and beat the #1 ranked dog in the country to get it! Soooo exciting!!

    And, it was an Owner/Handler series so I also won the OHBOB as well, and then got a OH Group 2! We did nothing in the *real* group except show ourselves off as newbies, since my dog bounced (not trotted) the entire down and back....but I guess he had fun so that was ok!

    We were Select the next day at a specialty so we picked up 9 GCh points for the weekend and have 20 now. Almost done!

    Question: another exhibitor told me the Owner/Handler BOB was a "combination of the dog and handler" (sort of hybrid BOB and junior showmanship). I think this it totally wrong - that it's just regular breed judging minus the pros in the ring. What do you think?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2010
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Question: another exhibitor told me the Owner/Handler BOB was a "combination of the dog and handler" (sort of hybrid BOB and junior showmanship). I think this it totally wrong - that it's just regular breed judging minus the pros in the ring. What do you think?
    First off, HOLY COW!!! Congratulations!!! That must have been such a rush. Any way we can talk you in to sharing pictures/videos?

    In regards to the OH question I think there are two answers. According to the rules Owner/Handler is breed judging without the professional handlers. However, most judges are still fuzzy about the details. Many don't understand how it is supposed to be judged or that the hierarchy of ribbon awards depends on how the dog did in the normal breed class. So I do think that some judges are judging it as class with a dual emphasis. I don't inherently have a problem with that but it is a whole different entity than owner/handler.

    Hopefully things will become more clear over the next year or two.

    Are you aiming for OH at Eukanuba in December?



  14. #174
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Yay, S1969! You've got a Brittany, right? That is great, I think they call it in hockey (so a Canadian friend tells me) a Hat Trick?! BOB over the Big Deal Special,
    then a Group 2 OH, then Select at a Specialty, whoa!!

    Have you considered taking out an ad, just to celebrate these accomplishments?

    And yes, the OH Group is just like the " regular" group, minus the professional handlers, solely on the merits of the dogs. Of course, handling can certainly highlight or disguise quality!



  15. #175
    Join Date
    Dec. 18, 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,345

    Default

    Thanks - it's nice to be able to brag to people who actually understand what it means. My friend and family are very supportive but my dad has been telling people that my dog is a "Grand Champion" since he started showing...

    Here's a picture of us getting our BOB picture taken - don't worry, I WILL be buying this one!

    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...78219031_n.jpg

    Grace, I need to go back and read the rules of the OH class but I think you're right that judges and stewards are fuzzy on the rules. When I went to get my armband during another breed they were calling back the OH eligible dogs. The steward told one exhibitor that she was no longer eligible because she didn't win her class (a class bitch); when I relayed that to my friends they said it's not true and she should have been eligible. But based on your post I am thinking the steward might have been correct?

    I will say that our OH Group experience was great - the judge was so patient and my dog was fried by then (back to back groups) and for some reason thought the dog in front of him was a bitch in season. She really gave us extra time/patience to present our dogs to their best.

    Houndhill, I didn't even think about an ad. Next year was supposed to be our "special" year...and we are just chasing GCh points for now, but we have won two breeds in the last month....never really thought about ads at all! Hmmm.



  16. #176
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2010
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post

    Grace, I need to go back and read the rules of the OH class but I think you're right that judges and stewards are fuzzy on the rules. When I went to get my armband during another breed they were calling back the OH eligible dogs. The steward told one exhibitor that she was no longer eligible because she didn't win her class (a class bitch); when I relayed that to my friends they said it's not true and she should have been eligible. But based on your post I am thinking the steward might have been correct?
    To be eligible for consideration the dog must make it to the best of breed class. So the only eligible dogs are WD, WB, and specials. If the BOB is owner/handler then the win should automatically go to them. If not, the OS competes against all of the eligible specials of the same gender. If neither BOB or OS are eligible then it goes down to select and select is shown against other selects. If there are no eligible BOB, OS, or selects then the judge can chose between the WD and WB. Or at least that is my interpretation of the rules.

    http://classic.akc.org/ohs/judging.cfm

    I also appreciate the extra time given to the handler and dog in the OH group. Mine was a distracted mess his first time and the judge gave us time to settle down before the down and back.



  17. #177
    Join Date
    Aug. 3, 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Bumping this up for an update...last weekend we won our 2nd BOB ever and beat the #1 ranked dog in the country to get it! Soooo exciting!!
    Congrats...how exciting! Nice picture too



  18. #178
    Join Date
    Aug. 3, 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    My two yr old male Dobe just finished his rally novice and beginner novice obedience titles last weekend. Yay!!

    We are on to advanced rally and novice obedience this week in Tunbridge, VT.

    Anyone else showing there?



  19. #179
    Join Date
    May. 1, 2001
    Location
    Paris, Kentucky
    Posts
    629

    Default

    S1969 - congratulations on your BOB/Select wins. Awesome!!!

    I'm in my second season trying to finish my Deerhound bitch. We had 7 points from last year, but that included both her (3 pt.) majors. So this year, after 4 shows of eating feathers, Lyric got WB in a small entry and (1) more point.

    A week later, she was 1st place in Open Bitch class over 6 others - her biggest win ever - only to lose WB to the single Bred-by entry. It was a 4 pt major. That one hurt!

    And then, two weeks ago, she had a fabulous win - BOB/BOW over a male special for 2 points. The judge was a Deerhound breeder as well as owner/handler of #1 Deerhound in the country - so that was HUGE for us. Unfortunately we couldn't stay for Group because of family obligations.

    But I'm really encouraged we seem to be getting more competitive. I've been practising a lot at home with stacking/gaiting and its helped a lot. I still feel somewhat like a failure with her. Her sister is a Grand Champion and currently Number#1 Deerhound bitch in the country. Lyric was the pick over this sister. However sister is professionally handled, and Lyric is my first show dog.

    For anyone (Houndhill?) who gets Sighthound Review, Lyric's sister is the cover dog. See what I mean about sibling rivalry - lol! But I took the opportunity to ride on her coattails and placed this ad for Lyric in the issue:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...ps072e32a4.jpg



  20. #180
    Join Date
    Dec. 18, 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mao View Post
    But I'm really encouraged we seem to be getting more competitive. I've been practising a lot at home with stacking/gaiting and its helped a lot. I still feel somewhat like a failure with her. Her sister is a Grand Champion and currently Number#1 Deerhound bitch in the country. Lyric was the pick over this sister. However sister is professionally handled, and Lyric is my first show dog.

    For anyone (Houndhill?) who gets Sighthound Review, Lyric's sister is the cover dog. See what I mean about sibling rivalry - lol! But I took the opportunity to ride on her coattails and placed this ad for Lyric in the issue:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...ps072e32a4.jpg
    Great ad! I think I've seen it...?

    As a first time owner/handler....sounds like you're doing pretty awesome to me!!!

    It really is a different world to be an owner/handler v. pro. And I don't mean about the politics...but handling is not as easy as it looks and professionals have so much more experience -- they go into the ring thinking about the dog's strengths and weaknesses, and we (at least at first) go into the ring hoping we remember which way to turn at the end of the down and back. When I look back on videos of me handling my dog to his Championship, I'm amazed we won some of our classes.

    Congrats on your recent wins and keep up the good work!



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 68
    Last Post: Sep. 8, 2011, 10:45 AM
  2. I'm so Proud! -and- Share Your Greenie Updates
    By Fractious Fox in forum Eventing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Feb. 18, 2011, 05:12 PM
  3. very cool horse show updates
    By Tamara in TN in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
  4. Share your greenie show experiences!
    By forestergirl99 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun. 7, 2010, 10:37 PM
  5. Burghley updates! Show jumping day
    By NeverTime in forum Eventing
    Replies: 314
    Last Post: Sep. 10, 2009, 03:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness