The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Big update!!! Dex came out this weekend for the first time since finishing in at the end of January. He went select all three days for 5 pt majors over specials, received an owner-handler group 4, and got Q towards his first coursing ability title. I am very proud of my little guy for working so hard this weekend after 8+ weeks off.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Big update!!! Dex came out this weekend for the first time since finishing in at the end of January. He went select all three days for 5 pt majors over specials, received an owner-handler group 4, and got Q towards his first coursing ability title. I am very proud of my little guy for working so hard this weekend after 8+ weeks off.
    AWESOME!!!! Congratulations!

I showed my 10 mo old puppy yesterday and today. She's still very green and pretty immature, so our goal is really just to have fun. This was her second out, the first being the four day Rocky Mountain cluster in Denver a couple months ago.

Yesterday she was quite worried with the venue--it was PACKED and loud and claustrophobic and I was just happy that she gaited and stood. She lacked sparkle, though, and we placed second out of two.

Today she was far more comfortable and happy to be there, and was very, very bouncy, and the other puppy with pretty excited, too. The judge was kind to the both of us and gave us some time, but Zinny just didn't show him much to go off of (except enthusiasm! She was very enthusiastic!) and we placed second again.

I was just happy that she had fun and enjoyed herself, especially after the worry yesterday. I do have a LOT of work to do with her, though, and really need to get serious about getting to more fun matches and drop in classes!

Hi, guys! Can I join in??

I just read all 8 pages of this thread - and LOVE everyone's dogs (I remember the beautiful schnauzer (photo'd by younger sister), Cavaliers, Border Terriers, Irish Wolfhounds.....and a couple more I know I'm forgetting!!)

I have a 7.5 month old Papillon puppy. He is my fourth....but the 2nd one that will be shown. My first Pap, I used a handler.....this time, the breeder is strongly encouraging me to own/handle myself. She will be helping me. Thankfully. But - even still, I am totally overwhelmed!

I have not started him - his coat has been slow to develop (typical in this line of Paps), but it's starting to come in really nicely, now.........so here we go!

And I know nothing.

Our first show is going to be at an IABCA show in Olrando, FL on May 4 & 5. These shows are a little less intense and more relaxed than the AKC shows...and it will help us to ease into it. Our first AKC show is later in May in Brookesville,

So far, I am loving his topline and his neck....and I'm a bit worried about his height - he is 10.75 inches. He cannot grow any more!!

Do you guys know any beginner-friendly message boards for dog showing?? I have a lot to learn....
    Last edited by KellyG; May. 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM.

Wow, that's a great weekend!! Congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I showed my 10 mo old puppy yesterday and today. She's still very green and pretty immature, so our goal is really just to have fun.

...but Zinny just didn't show him much to go off of (except enthusiasm! She was very enthusiastic!)
    That's exactly what you want!! It would be nice to be enthusiastic and win points, but at that age, I'd go with enthusiasm. Sounds like a fun weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyG View Post
    Hi, guys! Can I join in??

I have a 7.5 month old Papillon puppy. He is my fourth....but the 2nd one that will be shown. My first Pap, I used a handler.....this time, the breeder is strongly encouraging me to own/handle myself. She will be helping me. Thankfully. But - even still, I am totally overwhelmed!

Do you guys know any beginner-friendly message boards for dog showing?? I have a lot to learn....
    Welcome!! My dog's breeder has two paps also, and she is having a lot of fun in the Papillon ring with her younger one - so very different than Brittanys (a lot less running!)

I have really enjoyed showing my dogs. We have had a lot of less than perfect trips around the ring but I am very proud to be able to say my youngest dog has been handled by me every time in the ring - to his championship and now as an occasional special.

I've met a lot of great people and learned a lot about my breed - it's been great!

If you have a chance, have someone videotape you in the ring. That has been really helpful to me to watch myself and see what the judge is seeing.

I don't know of any boards for showing dogs, but there probably are some out there. But if you have any questions, you can ask them here. There are a fair handful of us on COTH, and quite a few with much more experience than I have so someone will be able to help!

As for me, I have no show updates. But my daughters are planning to enter my special and my breeder's bitch (soon to be co-owned by my kids) in the junior handling class at our nationals next November, so we are looking into handling classes for them. They've watched me show but have never done it themselves. Should be really interesting for all of us (dogs included!)

I cracked and sent my girl to a handler. No points at her first outing, but second in the open bitch division that was the largest I have seen outside of a specialty.

Yay for Dex and puppy Zinny! Well done!

We are getting ready for our Irish Wolfhound national which will be in beautiful Asheville, NC the beginning of May. I just spent this past weekend trail riding at the Biltmore, it was so much fun! Things were just starting to bloom, it should be gorgeous in a couple of weeks. The show is on the grounds of the Crowne Plaza Hotel, with lure coursing, obedience, and sweeps at the nearby Taylor Ranch. I'm excited!! I'll be taking a youngster in Beginner Obedience and two Specials, (one of whom is also half of a Brace entry) and co-own a class bitch coming down from PA.

Kelly G., your Pap puppy is darling! You will have a lot of fun with him!

1 members found this post helpful.

KellyG I have yet to find a good all-breed forum but I keep up with a few breed specific ones. Even though they are not breeds that I am showing I have picked up great tips about coat care, handling, etc. http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/...ation-showing/ http://www.dobermantalk.com/show-ring/
    If you ever come across an all-breed forum I would love to know!

Congrats to Grace on your wonderful weekend...I am getting ready to leave for the National Specialty on Weds. It is a record entry for us, so any kind of placement would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Wow, that's a great weekend!! Congratulations!!!

That's exactly what you want!! It would be nice to be enthusiastic and win points, but at that age, I'd go with enthusiasm. Sounds like a fun weekend!

Welcome!! My dog's breeder has two paps also, and she is having a lot of fun in the Papillon ring with her younger one - so very different than Brittanys (a lot less running!)

I have really enjoyed showing my dogs. We have had a lot of less than perfect trips around the ring but I am very proud to be able to say my youngest dog has been handled by me every time in the ring - to his championship and now as an occasional special.

I've met a lot of great people and learned a lot about my breed - it's been great!

If you have a chance, have someone videotape you in the ring. That has been really helpful to me to watch myself and see what the judge is seeing.

I don't know of any boards for showing dogs, but there probably are some out there. But if you have any questions, you can ask them here. There are a fair handful of us on COTH, and quite a few with much more experience than I have so someone will be able to help!

As for me, I have no show updates. But my daughters are planning to enter my special and my breeder's bitch (soon to be co-owned by my kids) in the junior handling class at our nationals next November, so we are looking into handling classes for them. They've watched me show but have never done it themselves. Should be really interesting for all of us (dogs included!)
    Thanks! I am so excited...overwhelmed, but excited! And now - I've got to figure out all the terms, acronyms, and various classes. *sigh* There are many. With my last Pap, the handler took care of that - I wrote some checks, attended some fun shows, and picked up my dog when he had his title.

Taping is an excellent idea - my hubby is coming, so I can have him do that...It will be painful to watch, I'm pretty sure. Ugh.

Paps are a fun breed - I love their outgoing, happy personalities..........and the ears!!! LOL!

I love Brittany's - I love their movement. You guys have all posted some gorgeous pictures of some gorgeous dogs....and everyone knows so much, *face palm* LOL!!! I have my work cut out for me!!

KellyG I have yet to find a good all-breed forum but I keep up with a few breed specific ones. Even though they are not breeds that I am showing I have picked up great tips about coat care, handling, etc. http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/...ation-showing/ http://www.dobermantalk.com/show-ring/
    If you ever come across an all-breed forum I would love to know!
    Thank you for the link...I will check it out. It looks like a nice, active forum :-)

I'm glad everyone wasn't able to come up with 10 links I should have been able to find myself!!

Thanks! I am so excited...overwhelmed, but excited! And now - I've got to figure out all the terms, acronyms, and various classes. *sigh* There are many. With my last Pap, the handler took care of that - I wrote some checks, attended some fun shows, and picked up my dog when he had his title.

Taping is an excellent idea - my hubby is coming, so I can have him do that...It will be painful to watch, I'm pretty sure. Ugh.

....and everyone knows so much, *face palm* LOL!!! I have my work cut out for me!!
    It takes a while to feel like you know what you're doing, but you can do it. If you want to feel better I'll link some of my first videos in the ring with my current dog. I did show my first brittany a handful of times but luckily none of those were videotaped for posterity!

Actually, I just recently watched the video of me finishing my dog and told his breeder - "OMG I can't believe we actually won! I was terrible!" But at the time, I watched it and thought I looked pretty good. It's like lots of things...you can always learn something new; and to try to compare yourself to how a pro does the job is not helpful....most pros are in the ring more in one day than I will be in 6 months or more....

(But, watching pros is helpful and you can pick up a lot of tips - the most important one is DON'T RUSH. Actually try to go slower than feels normal, because if you are nervous you will be rushing even if you don't think you are.)

And most of all - have fun!

I cracked and sent Will out with his breeder, but last weekend he took BOW twice out of 3 shows for his first 4 points toward his CKC CH. I'm beyond proud of him!

And this coming Sunday we go to our first handling class together. There are a couple local shows towards the end of summer and I want to handle him myself at them
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I may do the same - especially for the majors. But we'll see....I'm hoping I won't be as bad as I'm worried about being.

With B, I did a co-ownership with the breeder. When I first began looking for a good breeder (my previous breeder had retired), I was looking just for a very nice, pet quality, male Pap - no intention to show....but I had "portfolio" I sent to each breeder I was interested in, so that he or she would know a little about me - I included:

-the history of my previous Paps (1 shown conformation, 1 in obedience, 2 in agility),
    -letters of recommendation plus medical records of all three Paps from my vets (horse, dog, cat)
    -letters of recommendation from my previous breeder (Paps & my British Shorthair cats
    -letters of recommendation from my dog training club
    -cover letter including a little about our family and the kind of dog we hoped to find.

I sent this to three breeders in Florida whose dogs I really liked, and asked to be put on a waiting list for a puppy/young dog if they approved my "application." All three contacted me - but the breeder I got B from lived the closest...and had titles on her dogs here in the U.S. and in Europe.

She asked if I would be interested in a co-ownership of a male puppy from a litter out of a b.tch that she was retiring - and the dog was/is close to retirement. We live less than an hour from each other - convenient for both of us if she chose to use him in her breeding program. She'd also called each of my references :-)

I thought about her offer, and decided to accept it - if she'd let me show the dog (and not pay her show-price). She was delighted with that, so here we are. And I am a hot mess, LOL!!

She originally said she didn't want to show anymore - kind of burned out on the politics.........but - now she's gotten bit by the bug again, and will be showing him in the bred by exhibitor classes at our show on May 4/5, and I'll be showing him in some other division of the IABCA - whatever it's called. AND she kept a female puppy (from a different litter) that she will begin showing in the fall.

She's ALL back into it, LOL! Now it's really fun for me....I have a nice dog - but also a mentor and maybe a new hobby since I am horse-less for the next two to three years. I really am excited!

Congrats if you made it through this WOT!!! And all of this to say, that if I have to send B to a handler for his majors (which she swears I won't have to), he will be handled by his breeder - what could be better?!
    Last edited by KellyG; May. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM.

Congrats on everyone's success lately!

My blue Dobe bitch earned legs #7 & #8 the other weekend towards her RAE title. We are showing again this weekend so...fingers crossed for a new title!!

For the second year in a row, we have gone BOW at the Dalmatian Cub of America National Specialty, with litter sisters, one last year, one this year. We don't think it has ever been done before. She also finished with three five point majors, two this week.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Owls, good for you,lauriep! Yay for your girl, she must be truly exceptional!!

Wow Lauriep that is too cool!!! Congratulations

My blue Dobe bitch finished her RAE title this weekend with 2 1st's and two 2nd's....wooohooo!!!!!!!!!

Welcome! I have a finished red & white Pap. I have only handled when the breeder had two dogs in puppy group so threw the lesser one at me. In our breed, owner-handling is still possible.

My advice? Go to handling class and drop ins and protect your pup: every Pap I know is soft as warm butter.

You have help. Yay for your breeder! This is not overwhelming. This is do-able. And it's a dog beauty show. If you feel really over the top, sit down and watch Best in Show.

What homework did breeder give you? Grooming, gaiting, and stacking? Do you have a table? Out of curiosity, what is the recommended coat care? I've been told bathe weekly (w/xyz products). Brush after your bathe, brush or scale teeth, trim nails. Scissorwork a few days before a show.

Since my guy is now in performance and out of the breed ring, I bathe less, brush more and take some liberties with the clippers .

LOL. It was pretty spectacular:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

His girlfriend (a lovely Axcium female) pulled out a huge mouthful of beard on the underside of his chin which was the final death of his beard.

Donna is such an amazing mentor and one of the funniest people I know. She is also the master of guiding people through a crash course to Dog Showing 101. Any word yet on who the parents are for your litter?
    Dam is Bravo's Axcium Point and Sire is GCh.Bravo's Tipping Point

Throtmorton is an absolute love muffin! So cute and he bounds like a bunny!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Welcome, KellyG! Feel free to ask your questions here. We'll all help you as best we can. Love those Papillons!

As an update, I finally received the BOB photo for my little 7 month old. Here it is. I look so horrible that I'd like to blur myself out! The couple next to me are the co-owners of the little puppy bitch. They were very proud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Navasota.Sun-showweb.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	38016  
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.