The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

As I sit anxiously checking infodog for results from this morning in W. Springfield, I see that there is an Owner-Handler Best of Breed Eligible class. Does anyone know how that works? If I click on the dog name to see the results (which are not up yet), it says NON-COMPETITIVE Own-Hand BOB under the class.

Just curious how that works? I am assuming that it is judged before BOB, and maybe the winner advances to BOB? (Sort of like a Field Trial class at a specialty?)

Anyone know?

(And darn, I wish the results were a little faster....although I think Brittanys did just leave the ring minutes ago... )

At the shows I've been to BOB OH runs after BOB.

Eligibility depends on how many dogs/bitches are in the breed class but an unfinished dog much be WD or WB to be eligible. If the normal BOB or BOS is also OH eligible they are automatically given the title of BOB OH. If they are not eligible it goes down from there to include divide the class with the select and opposite sex and other weird stuff. AKC has the full explanation.

Usually it is pretty straight forward because there aren't many dogs eligible. BOB OH winner goes on to OH group which occurs just after the normal group in a neighboring ring. I think the non-competitive reference indicates that the point accumulated are for OH and do not go towards CH points.

Do you know the dog in question or are you keeping an eye on a competitor?

Oh, I was checking to see whether a class dog I know won (because he would have finished) and then realized this class was listed and I'd never seen it before.

Based on the entries, I think my dog could have won the BOB OH class if I had entered him; but think he would have been tough to win BOB in the regular BOB class. Just wondering if in the future I'd ever want to enter him in this class....and how it works. I think it would be fun to win a BOB OH class, but I think my breeder would think I should enter the regular BOB class and try to win "for real"....

Now I see that some of the dogs are class dogs....but the two that aren't are in both the BOB and the BOB OH class....ok, maybe I get it now....if I entered my special I could enter both classes? I wonder if you have to pay for two entries?

I'll have to look it up and read the rules...

Here is the list of entries, just for reference (results not shown yet):

http://www.infodog.com/RESULTS/20120...3490410200.HTM

Thanks for your help!

The BOB dogs are those specials entered, plus winners dog and winners bitch. No additional fee involved.

If your dog is eligible for BOB owner- handled, you need only check the relevant box on the entry blank. Every entry gets the opportunity to check this box..who knows if the 6-9 puppy bitch will go BOB? No additional fee.

Not every show offers this (yet?)

Same for BOB bred by, for those shows that offer this. You just check a box on the entry form if you are eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    The BOB dogs are those specials entered, plus winners dog and winners bitch. No additional fee involved.

If your dog is eligible for BOB owner- handled, you need only check the relevant box on the entry blank. Every entry gets the opportunity to check this box..who knows if the 6-9 puppy bitch will go BOB? No additional fee.

Not every show offers this (yet?)

Same for BOB bred by, for those shows that offer this. You just check a box on the entry form if you are eligible.
    Yes - I noticed that the classes yesterday did not include this, but I think it's a cool idea. Do you know if they are judging just the dog, or is handling at all part of it (e.g. like juniors?) I am assuming it's just the dogs....

An interesting concept....although I'm not sure I'd want to be beaten by the 6-9 puppy bitch!

Makes you wonder if your dog won BOB if there would ever be a way they would lose OH BOB? Haha....with my luck we would.

Just a totally unrelated funny dog show story, but at a show last year we met a couple who showed labs and they were really fun. We joked about the crazy amount of time they spend in the ring v. our breed, and how hard it must be to show for so long and not win. It is common for the judge to make a cut even in a non-champion class, because the entries are so big. And once there were only like 7 dogs in a class and the judge made a cut and moved 6 dogs into the "made the cut" group and dismissed only the one dog - and it was this couple. OMG can you even imagine?

So that would be my luck...win our first BOB and then lose OH-BOB to a puppy five minutes later.

Yes, OH BOB, is just the dogs, not judged like Junior Showmanship, though of corse your handling certainly plays into it just the same as for any breed judging.

It is automatic, though, if BOB is OH, then they are simply handed that ribbon too, if it is offered, so no worries! And sometimes that 6-9 puppy bitch is the nicest thing in the ring, may even be yours! It takes some cojones to award BOB but may be the right thing to do, if merited.

Yes you have to have some sensitivity in making cuts, I wouldn't in a class of seven....I always feel sorry in a class of five or six not to have more ribbons, particularly if they are all decent quality animals.

My blue Dobe bitch earned her first leg towards her RAE title this past Friday in W. Springfield!!! She got a 94 in rally excellent (she was a bit of a looky-loo as this was her first class of the day at a new to her facility) and a score of 100 (and 1st place) in rally advanced!

Yahoo!!!!!!! One leg down....nine more to go!!

1 members found this post helpful.

My little man and I will be making our debut in the new year!! He showed last spring and summer before coming to live with me, so I'm the newbie in the relationship https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Show news has been quiet lately! Anyone been doing anything?

My blue Dobe earned legs #4 & #5 towards her RAE this weekend

Halfway there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting a puppy bitch and puppy dog ready to make their debuts soon. Not showing any adults at the moment.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

We showed this past weekend in W. Springfield after a nice long break. I finished my dog in November 2011, and showed him a handful of times as a special last spring/summer, but decided we needed a break. (You might also remember we were thinking about working on reach & drive with cavaletti, although I really didn't practice at all!)

I was really pleased with him this weekend - we were Select Dog on Sunday for our first GCh. points (3 point major) so that was a nice start to his "real" career as a special. I worked on gaiting him with a clicker a few times before the show and I think it helped a lot. Now to polish it up a little - do a little treadmill work and maybe some cavaletti this spring....and chip away at the GCh. points.

Here we are on Saturday (I cropped my face out since it wasn't the most flattering picture of me with a big chunk of bait in my mouth)....really yucky tasting bait too!

http://s165.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=0

I've got a couple of updates that I can share!

My little Eliza, whom I've posted about before, finished her championship at the beginning of December. She was 14 months when she finished, but she still looks like a pre-teen. Her first weekend out as a special, she went BOB the only day she was shown over a couple other specials (males, both at least a year older than she is, and both of the more common color in the breed). So, we were thrilled. Her second weekend out in the specials ring, she picked up a group placement. She has twelve grand champion points, and our goal is to finish her GCH before putting her away to mature. I think she will be beautiful when she fills out.....I can't wait to see what she will become!

Eliza's group placement picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps7b5ae809.jpg

Also, my Mona got her second RAE leg this past Saturday. She placed in both classes, but it's tough! She got 4th place with a 97 - those rally dogs are good! We are having lots of fun together. I am only doing rally here and there, and we both enjoy it when we have the time to do it.

Ooh, this weekend I also got a lovely boy puppy sent to me from California to show. He is sired by my dog, and he has been a little unruly in the ring for his doting and too kind breeder/owner. Lovely, lovely puppy. I can't wait to teach him some manners and get him in the ring!

Thanks for letting me brag. We need some more updates from others!

Please don't forget to mention breed!!

Although if we look at your photo, we see a lovely Border Terrier.

Congrats!!

We sent my heart dog away to stay with a handler for a few weeks before going in to the ring for the first time with a handler. Lovely corgi bitch, but I wasn't doing her justice.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClick View Post

Also, my Mona got her second RAE leg this past Saturday. She placed in both classes, but it's tough! She got 4th place with a 97 - those rally dogs are good! We are having lots of fun together. I am only doing rally here and there, and we both enjoy it when we have the time to do it.
    No doubt...I've gotten 3rd place with a 99 before! Oh and 2nd with a 100

Our scores this weekend were 92, 93, 95 & 97. Was disappointed with no perfect score...I'm a perfectionist!!!!!!!! It's ok though....legs 4 & 5 were more important

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    We sent my heart dog away to stay with a handler for a few weeks before going in to the ring for the first time with a handler. Lovely corgi bitch, but I wasn't doing her justice.
    Aww, that is hard. I watched Corgis for a while this weekend as we were setup right next to their ring. It was great fun! Where will she be showing? Northeast? Maybe I'll see her in the ring this year!

What is rally?
    Quarry Rat

This past weekend was a big one for us! My Miniature Schnauzer, Dexter, picked up a single on Friday along with a OH Group 2 followed by going BOW for his final major Sunday and a OH Group 1. So as of Sunday I am the proud owner of my first champion. It was a very proud moment for us made even more special by having so many friends present for our major win.

He's doing very well in OH so I'd like to keep him out there to stay competitive for the Eukanuba OH series next winter. Depending on how he matures he might come out as a special this summer but he has a lot of growing up to do between now and then.

It'll be a while before our official picture arrives but I love this one that my sister took at our last photoshoot:
    http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...pseab361a6.jpg

Congratulations on all the wins!

Dexter is a hunk!

Just watched some video of us from the weekend; we knew there was some ring confusion on Saturday and the judge pulled me for Select Dog but there were too many dogs pulled....being a novice in the BOB ring, I didn't give it a whole lot of thought at the time. (Everyone else was up in arms, and the pro handler in front of me was the one trying to explain to the judge her mistake...)

But watching the video - she had to think the BOB dog was a bitch. There is no other explanation when you watch it. OMG how embarrassing!

Well, darn, I didn't earn any Select points that day, but I will count that on my list anyway. Oops! (I was the only one pulled who didn't get anything, because the "BOS" dog had to become the Select Dog when she realized she didn't have a bitch as opposite.)

Anyone else ever had something like that happen? I know it must be tough to be a judge, but that was kind of a big mistake. There were only a few specials -- 4 dogs and 1 bitch. I tried to check my video to see if she checked the BOB dog for testicles but my kids had the camera on my dog at the time.