The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default I am heartbroken for my sister because of her idiot horse.

Mostly venting...

Idiot Horse (whom I love dearly- one of the sweetest animals on the planet) has been a roller-coaster of mostly self-inflicted problems. He is a klutz. Most recently he was diagnosed with Lyme disease and is having time off in a big field with a big gentle giant type of friend while eating a lot of doxycycline and getting fat on clover.

While in this field he appears to have found who knows what and has just punctured either the tendon sheath or the hock itself. Too much swelling to tell just yet.

It has just been one thing after another. She was hoping to take him up to college with her, mostly as a trail horse until he felt well. Who knows now.

They give us so much, but sometimes they are such heartbreakers.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Oh yikes! I'm sure this goes without saying, but she should make sure he gets on HEAVY antibiotics ASAP. My horse had a severe hock laceration last year and it got infected very quickly (overnight). Were it not for a 2 week course of penicillin and genomiacin, I am not sure he would have recovered. He DID recover, by the way. He still has some soundness issues that may or may not be related to that accident (hard to say...he has had so very many accidents), but he is rideable and happy.

He is well medicated. Good thing he's a great patient. If he were a pain in the ass it might be easier (you know what I mean) but he's just the sweetest thing. He loves the whole world.
    - Harry Dresden

Poor pumpkin.

that just sux for her and him, and lyme on top of it makes it even more of a pain.
    and i know what you mean about infections spreading fast!
    my saddlebred goofball has a splniter of some sort in his right inner thigh and it was infected within 48 hours despite being cleaned and treated. it's a week later and he's still stocking up and weeping pus, and we're spending three hours a day walking, hosing, flushing and warm compressing him.
    and i have a mare with an apparent abcess brewing deep up in her hoof.

they sure know how to get our attention don't they?!

So understand.... they can be heartbreaking for sure. I thought about doing a blog on all the crud I have been through especially with one of my horses that is now pretty much retired at 13. Reason, so all the other horse owners that find that special klutz horse they love so much will know they are not alone!

I hope he is okay and gets well soon.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Jingles for a quick recovery and a big hug for your sis!

C

Well, A+ to the great gray ninny, whose big leg finally went down enough to get a decent picture on the ultrasound. Still too much air and inflammation to get a clean picture of all of it, but it looks like the wound went down, not up. Away from the joint. Pretty bad crushing type wound down to the bone, and possibility of a bone chip (will re-xray when the swelling goes down further) but he does not seem to have directly involved the joint.

Still not a picnic, but a much better prognosis than if he'd decided to aim straight for his hock. Presuming we stay ahead of infection and he doesn't decide to colic while on stall rest, this was comparatively good news.

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. Sister has already dubbed him "Shaino the Peg Leg Pirate" on account of the bandage running from top to bottom.

Here's the great big doof: https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...51305575_n.jpg
    - Harry Dresden

He's adorable! I hope he is feeling all better soon!

Oh man Renn I am so sorry to hear about his troubles. They make such a lovely pair!

Here's hoping the big grey horse gets himself together and stays out of trouble, for her sake!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Aw Renn, sorry for you and toothie
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

They're heartbreakers aren't they?! Mine had a puncture to the tendon sheath. Got infected quickly but required surgery. He's sound now though at 19!!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.