The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dr. Bronners Liquid Castille Soap

I have seen this stuff around for years, and never really knew what to do with it. I stumbled upon someone who used it in her foaming hand soap dispenser (a little goes a super long way in the dispensers !!) and also to clean her house. Since I go through sooo much liquid hand soap at my house, I decided to try it. I had a couple of empty foaming soap dispensers and I can say its da bomb !!! I got a foaming dispenser for the bathtub too and replaced the shower gel that was way too slimey for me. The peppermint soap is great for the summer, but I'll probably switch to something more moisturizing for the winter.

I also made up a spray bottle for the kitchen counters because I go through large bottles of cleaner to spray off the counters too. Not sure i can replace the Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner in the bathroom though. I love that stuff and the thought of not sanitizing/disinfecting the bathroom is making me a little leary.

At first I thought all that mumbo jumbo on the bottle was directions on how to use it, instead its some religious mumbo jumbo and only 1 outdated paragraph on how to use the stuff. I had to look on the internet to find ways to use it.

I have no problem using it on the floors and I am going to try that next. Peppermint is my favorite so far after sniffing all the bottles at Target ...

hm... I have a bottle of it that I'ave used for various purposes, but I like the idea of the foaming soap. Do you just buy a bottle of the regular foaming soap, and refill with the Dr. Bronner's?
    If so, it seems like you could do this, that I found on Pinterest today:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/77053843595285326/

I have used the baby formula to clean sheaths...
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    The peppermint soap is great for the summer
    Are you in my head? There is a bottle of peppermint Dr. Bronner's in my shower right now! I agree, the peppermint is very refreshing in summer, and the smell is invigorating as well. And like you said, although the formula is watery, a very little bit will suds up like nobody's business.

Best of all--it's NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS.

I use it to wash the dog Works great! And a little goes a looooong way.

Rhiannonjk,

there are various websites that describe how to use it as foaming soap, but I reused an empty Dial foaming handsoap dispenser and filled it 3/4 water (put the water in first or you will have suds everwhere) and add 2 tablespoons Dr. Bronners soap. Some people to say to use more soap, but I read that it can leave a film on the sink if its not diluted enough. So, I guess less is more. I can definitely say it works. I am pretty happy with this dilution.

I scrubbed off a grease stain on my stove and it took it right off with a squirt of the foam on a sponge !! I am pretty sure 409 could have taken the grease stain off as well, but I was happy that something more natural and less harmful on my skin worked just as well.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I dilute the peppermint soap with an equal amount of water and use it in the summer as a body wash after gardening, working out, etc. It is awesome.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    I read that it can leave a film on the sink if its not diluted enough.
    Yes, it certainly does. I have a bottle of the lavender soap and have been using it full-strength. It leaves a film on the tub (I'm a bather, not a shower person), even when I use it sparingly. Will start diluting it in a soap dispenser and see if that helps.

Can you use it as a shampoo?

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Can you use it as a shampoo?
    Yes, but it upsets the Ph balance of your hair, so you may want to look into what to rinse with after using it as a shampoo (I can't remember if Vinegar is enough).

I've been using it for years and can't live without it. Love the Peppermint in the shower, but I sometimes use the Lavender for baths and handwashing clothes, Tea Tree (disinfecting) for cleaning, and Orange that is nice for dishes; there is also and unscented to which I add my own essence oils. I use a little in 50/50 water vinegar in a spray bottle for windows, and a squirt in a gallon bucket for dirty wood floors (vinegar and water if they just need a swipe). I also use it diluted for the hand soap dispenser and for cleaning counters, etc. I first discovered it looking for something safe for camping. The other item I love is Cetiphil face cleaner--it is very mild (sensitive skin), as plain and basic as you can get ingredient-wise, unscented, non-drying, and, if there is no water available when camping, you can rub it in and then just wipe it off and not feel gross.

I have, when camping... it is drying, but not terribly so.

Great stuff, especially the peppermint! Putting tired feet in a tub full of hot lathery Dr. Bronner's peppermint is luxurious.

Welcome to the dark side. If you want to go really Beyond the Pale of Frugal, which is where I tend to hang out, learn to make liquid hand soap from the Dr. Bronner's bar soap. It's much than buying the liquid stuff.

I also made up a spray bottle for the kitchen counters because I go through large bottles of cleaner to spray off the counters too. Not sure i can replace the Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner in the bathroom though. I love that stuff and the thought of not sanitizing/disinfecting the bathroom is making me a little leary.
    If it's sanitizing you're worried about but you want the smell of Dr. Bronner's, mix it with hydrogen peroxide. Although I admit, I'd tend to just use hydrogen peroxide with a teeny touch of liquid soap and some essential oils added for scent.

And wait until you learn to make cheap laundry soap from Dr. Bronner's.

I made a spray bottle once too and it did not mix, filled with little white globs. And every time I try to use it I stop because it leaves a white film on everything. I tried it in the shower and it left a white film on me. Yuck.

I have a big bottle I've had now for 5 years, through 2 moves. I finally have been washing the horse buckets with it to get rid of it.

The peppermint scent is divine, though. I kept wanting it to work! What did I do wrong?

I really wanted to like this stuff, but just don't. Got the baby version for my sensitive mother, made her break out. So I've been using it in the shower and find it very drying and leaves a film. I can't imagine trying to clean stuff with it either. And yes, I diluted it half and half with water in a pump bottle and use a lot of water on my pouf, it just sucks. More for you guys that like it, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

All one, all one, all one or none!
    LOL
    Dr Bronners has been part of my home since the beginning. Between it and ingongtong salve I'm unstoppable. It's like instant energy in a bottle.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    All one, all one, all one or none!

I don't get it
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

You can also brush your teeth with it and handwash your clothes with it.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Default white globs ...

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I made a spray bottle once too and it did not mix, filled with little white globs. And every time I try to use it I stop because it leaves a white film on everything.
    Did that spray bottle originally have vinegar in it or did you mix it with vinegar or lemon juice ? I heard that mixing it with vinegar/lemon juice is a huge no-no because it causes a separation of the soap into white globs and water. This is the official explanation why and a picture of the globs !! http://lisa.drbronner.com/?p=292

I think if you are getting white film on stuff, the concentration of soap is too high. From everything I read, this stuff is super concentrated and only a few tablespoons is needed to clean stuff. I only use 4 tablespoons of the stuff on my countertop spray (1 quart spray bottle) and there is no film. I agree, it sort of freaked me out that you needed so little of the stuff to actually clean. But, the stuff does clean. I spot test on grease every now and then to prove it to myself that this stuff cleans !!

The only downside is that I got a big bottle of the stuff and at the rate I am using it, its going to last a long, long time. Years, I am thinking !!!