The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite healthy Tofu Recipes

I have been trying to eat a lot of tofu lately and would love to hear everyones favorite recipes

Pasta (or rice) with broccoli and tofu in spicy peanut sauce. Or you can do tofu kabobs with peanut sauce. Yum!

I made this the other night (adapted it a little from another recipe) & it was DELICIOUS. Simple, not too many ingredients, & SPICY HOT, which we love. If you're not a spicy food fan, just reduce the amount of chili-garlic sauce & hot sesame oil (or use regular sesame oil).

Broiled Spicy Tofu, Snow Peas, and Carrots
    Ingredients

o 2 tablespoons vegetable oil of your choice
    o 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    o 2 tablespoons rice or white wine vinegar
    o 1 tablespoon hot sesame oil
    o 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
    o 1 bunch fresh whole baby carrots (REAL baby carrots – not the fake ones carved out of mature carrots)
    o Approx. 1-2 small handfuls of fresh snow peas
    o 1 package extra-firm tofu
    o 4 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
    o Cooked brown rice for serving
    Directions

1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add snow peas & blanch for 2 minutes. Drain.
    2. Pre-heat broiler, line top of broiler pan with foil (the non-stick foil now available is the BEST) & cut through broiler pan slits with a knife; line bottom of broiler pan with regular foil to facilitate cleanup if desired.
    3. Remove & discard greens from carrots (if they have them on), leaving about an inch, & slice carrots in half lengthwise. (If using regular carrots, slice into ½ thick sticks.)
    4. In a large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, soy sauce, & chili-garlic sauce. Add carrots & toss to coat.
    5. With a slotted spoon, transfer carrots (reserving bowl with marinade) to one side of broiler pan.
    6. Cut tofu into approx. 1” pieces & add to marinade in bowl; turn gently to coat, and transfer to other side of broiler pan. Continue to reserve bowl with marinade.
    7. Broil until carrots are tender and tofu is browned, gently turning both during cooking time, approx. 20-25 minutes.
    8. Transfer tofu and carrots back to reserved bowl with marinade. Add snow peas, scallions, vinegar, and sesame oil, toss gently to combine, & serve over brown rice.

And here's another one we like. Which really surprised me, because I never thought I'd like the sweetness of the maple syrup - but it really works here.

Sesame Maple Roasted Tofu
    (Adapted from Eating Well magazine)

Serves 2

Ingredients
    1 block extra-firm tofu, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into cubes
    1 medium or half a large red onion, sliced & separated into rings
    Approx. 2-3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    Approx. 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons tahini
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
    ½ a tablespoon cider vinegar
    Approx. 2 cups sugar snap peas, fresh or frozen
    Approx. 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    Cooked Asian-style noodles of your choice for serving

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.

2. Toss tofu, onion, canola oil, sesame oil, and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until the tofu is lightly golden on top and the onions are browning in spots, 15 to 20 minutes, turning gently halfway through.

3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk tahini, soy sauce, maple syrup, and vinegar until well combined. When tofu mixture is finished roasting, remove from the oven & add to the bowl of tahini-maple sauce, along with the sugar snap peas; stir to combine. Re-spread everything on the baking sheet & sprinkle with sesame seeds. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the peas are crisp-tender, approx. 8 to 12 minutes more.

Serve on a bed of cooked Asian-style noodles of your choice. (I used 2 packages of fresh ramen-type noodles that I found in the tofu section of the supermarket. I cooked the packages along with the soup-seasoning mixes included with the noodles, & then drained them before serving them as a base for the tofu.)

And one more we enjoy a lot - again a little on the spicy side, but you can regulate that via using less of the crushed red pepper flakes & hot sesame oil (or just using regular sesame oil).

Szechuan Spicy Bean Curd
    (adapted from "Madame Chu's Chinese Cooking School")

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chicken broth
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon dry sherry
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 square extra-firm or firm bean curd, drained & cubed
    A couple of dollops of vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying
    3-4 cloves garlic, peeled & roughly chopped
    1 tablespoon (approx. an inch or two) peeled grated or minced fresh ginger
    1 scallion, chopped (optional)
    1-2 stalks Bok Choy or Chinese/Napa Cabbage, sliced
    1/4-1/2 pound ground meat (any type – I use ground turkey)
    1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon hot sesame oil OR regular sesame oil
    Approx. 1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder

Combine broth with soy sauce, dry sherry, sugar, & cornstarch & set aside. Heat a vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet. Add ground meat & stir for around 3 minutes. Add Bok Choy or Napa Cabbage & stir an additional 2 minutes. Add scallions (if using), garlic, ginger, & red pepper flakes & stir a few times. Add bean curd, stir gently, then add broth mixture & bring to a boil while continuing to stir gently. When heated thru & slightly thickened, turn off heat & sprinkle sesame oil over the top. Stir one more time, sprinkle 5-spice powder over, & serve.

Unlike most stir-fry dishes, this one can be covered & kept warm until ready to serve.

This is one anyone will like as the tofu is hidden: Tofu Pancakes. Makes the worthless pancake a real breakfast.

Liquify a full block of tofu (I use firm) with a couple cups of milk or so. and an egg or two if you want, in a blender/food processor, or beat with a strong wisk (use softer tofu if by hand). It should be like very, very thick buttemilk. Mix in a bowl with a complete dry pancake mix, until it is a little thicker than a normal pancake batter. Cook like normal, except these take way longer to cook and do better if lower heat and longer on each side, as the center will still be very moist when the tops/bottoms are brown. Really good, and we make a bunch and freeze them.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Stir fry a bit of broccoli, then add some cubed tofu. Take off the stove and stir in some salad dressing (I like Thousand Island, though it's not healthy), then stuff in a pita pocket.

I like to mix cubes of smoked tofu into braised red cabbage. I usually make my own red cabbage with red onion, mustard powder, cayenne, some apples and vinegar. But if I'm lazy, there are entire sections of the frozen food aisle here devoted to cabbage. I can also buy it canned! For a complete meal, I mix in some cooked wheat berries.

Another German-themed tofu recipe (modified here for American ingredients) is sauerkraut, smoked tofu, caramelized onion, mushrooms and gnocchi. I cook the onions in ample amounts of oil, add the mushrooms when the onions are nearly done, then add the tofu and sauerkraut while the gnocchi is heating in some water. Drain the gnocchi, and stir everything together, and season with salt and pepper to taste. This is an amped-up version of a German dish called Schupfnudeln.

A good soup with tofu in it is miso soup. I like to make a rich mushroom broth with lots of different kinds of mushrooms, then add the miso, cubes of firm tofu, and some sliced scallion.