The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Impossible not to break the bank at WEF?

Hi all,

I'm a recent re-rider, but I have some pretty clear goals set for myself. I am by no means wealthy, but I'm really lucky. I don't own a $100,000 horse, but I somehow wound up with two really, really nice warmblood mares that cost a fraction of what they should have. They've been bred to two nice stallions and while those buns are in the oven and growing up, I'm working on getting my legs back and getting competitive.

Right now I'm closer to the west coast, but our farm is back east, and that's where we plan to be within the next 3-4 years. Within that amount of time, I'd like to be budgeting and planning to go to WEF with 2-3 horses. While I'd love to stay the full 3 months, I'd settle for a solid month and a half. That's my dream, right there.

Any tips on not spending a full years salary in that amount of time? Stabling on show grounds vs. off site? Investing in an RV or nice living quarters trailer? The website is difficult to navigate and the prize lists are elusive. It seems to me to be a "you either know or you don't" kind of thing where it concerns entry fees and the like. Are there any hidden costs you didn't expect your first time?

Just curious and planning ahead, y'all!

http://www.equestriansport.com/

Then go to competitors, and prize lists. It is on the second or third page.

Thanks joiedevie99

I suppose I should have clarified. I knew they were on there, I just meant it was all a little overwhelming.

I've begun the task of crunching the numbers and all that, I'm more concerned with ways to save a few dollars in the process. Also, I'm wondering if anyone encountered any fees/costs that are not so well known.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

JustWorld International Ambassador!

The price of hay can be a shocker!

Personally, I would not like to be stabled on the show grounds the whole time. Some people do it, but I think it's much more pleasant for the horses to live off the grounds and either trail ride over each day to show, or have a stall at the show to stay in for a couple of nights as needed.

If you own your own horse trailer, can get just one stall on the show grounds to trailer in to, and find a little mom and pop boarding situation within a reasonable distance and maintain the horse's training yourself while trailering in for lessons, it is doable.

If you need other people to do that work for you, cost goes up exponentially.

There are also a lot of hotels that do weekly rates that are heavily discounted, they arent the nicest but hey your only sleeping there!

Smile I, for one...

...thought it was not that shocking in terms of price.

I stabled on the grounds (avoid grounds fee) and had access to turn out.
    I rented a room nearby for $5oo per month with another rider.
    I bought my own feed, hay and shavings of the ground.
    I braided myself.
    Brought my own food to show grounds.
    Trained with the best trainer I could afford.
    Stayed in nights during circuit and focused on riding rather than partying.
    (until circuit was over, then I made up for lost time

Spent 4 months there, all in all, met some amazing people ( including a husband!) and had the experience of a lifetime.