The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dealing with the heat!

I have a predicament with my horse.
    The farm he's at lost power and may not have power until sunday. Am bringing him water by filling buckets at my apartment and driving out so he's got good clean drinking water. But the barn he's in has solid partitions so it gets HOT and Stagnant. Yesterday afternoon it was hotter in the barn than outside in full sun in a paddock.

He's an indoor horsey. Has never settled into being turned out (have insisted at times, but bugs and weather make him miserable) unless he has a run in stall where he can just poke his head out 99% of the time. He stresses himself out pretty good if asked to stay out too long, running and pacing the fence (this is with horses in the adjoining paddocks.

I have got to work 10+ hours today to make my weekly deadline. Working from home so can take trips out to the barn but can't stay and babysit (already made my first run out today). My choices are to leave him in the stall, or to turn him out for a while in the hottest part of the day in a fly sheet and hope that common sense and self preservation kick in and hope he doesn't work himself up....

What would you do?

Turn him out. As long as there's plenty of water, a salt block and good shade, he'll be better off where air moves.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

^ That's what I would say.

Turn him out or supply your own generator with a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Turn him out. As long as there's plenty of water, a salt block and good shade, he'll be better off where air moves.
    THIS - and if he reacts badly to bugs, bug spray him in the morning.... sometimes it best to let a horse be a "horse" it their best defense...

turn out without fly sheet. Sometimes fly sheets can make them even hotter. If its above 90, mine goes without one. Fly spray!

The horse hates turn out. Why can't he stay in? Give him a couple of cold baths during the day-buy yourself some big water jugs so you can carry more water to the barn.

Common sense does not occur to horses who hate turn out or who are being bitten by bugs. Just ask my horse who did his SDFT bc he was tired of being outside.

http://www.freundcontainer.com/kaute...e/p/1248B09-B/
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Unless you have a paddock then keep him out (if there is shade). Especially if it's a metal barn. Even on my bug sensitive horse I keep her flysheet off in the heat. Use a good flyspray (ultrashield has been helping me) and really spray the horse.

If you have to keep in maybe use a stall guard instead of doors to let in more air? Or if someone else in the barn has a paddock then ask to borrow it during the day?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Add gatorade or something comparable to the water that you are hauling. I've just started to do this with an ancient mare and she loves it. Will swill down a five gallon bucket without stopping to breathe. I've also started adding horse electrolytes (Sweat Again), but the gatorade water certainly helped her through a very rough time.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I think we might have survived. Heat will be less tomorrow (low 90s instead of 100) and then about normal the day after that thank goodness. He has stayed drinking and eating well through it all and have been giving electrolytes with his feed.

The unfortunate situation is that the paddocks at the farm just dont' have shade. The big pastures have run ins or at least some nice tree groves for some shelter... but the paddocks are just out in the open They weren't planned for use in bad weather, I guess.

He ended up staying inside. The green headed horseflies are out in force and some of the big black ones have started to crop up too. He had sweat dripping off his ankles within 10 minutes, and wheezing (has a breathing issue) so had to bring him in, sponge him off, give him water, and then stood and fanned him until his breathing was back to normal.

Love him, but he's a PITA hot house flower. If it's a day where there is wind, rain, sun, or bugs, he wants nothign to do with it.