The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default horse with tight muscles in loin and stabled 24/7

My mare is into her third week of being inside 24/7 due to a severe injury. She got a strand of electrobraid wrapped around her leg and it ripped open a JUST healed scar right to the tendon which is partially severed. With another 3-4 weeks inside I am beginning to worry about hers (and my) sanity!

Yesterday when changing her bandage I gave her a good brush and noticed the muscles over her loin are VERY tense, like rock hard and she would dip her back on one side when brushing over it. I did some stretches with her and the brushing did seem to help but I don't know what else I can do to help her! Again today they were very tense, I am going to take a heat pack down with me tomorrow for her. Is there anything else that will help her? The vet wants as little movement as possible so the hole into her tendon will heal so I can't even hand walk her I hate seeing her uncomfortable, she's already going batty from being locked in!

You can try a heating pad on the area for 5-10 minutes or a Back on Track blanket. Also see if you can get a copy of the Masterson Method bodywork book or DVD - lots of techniques for releasing the hind end with very little movement on the horse's part.

Hope your horse is better soon!

Can you get a massage therapist out to see her?

Meanwhile, I would try carrot stretches to help stretch out her top line, and would massage all of her large muscles from shoulders to hind quarters.

http://www.reinholdshorsewellness.co...stretches.html

I had a horse on stall rest for an extended period of time and he became very body sore and tight. TTouch worked wonders for him and was easy to do. And, had the added benefit of helping him relax and gave his mind a vacation from the stress of 24/7 stalling.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis