The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please help. Neglected dog

I came across this farm and while the horses on the property are not in the best shape, this one dog is absolutely horrible! She is covered from head to toe in mange and has a horrible case of cherry eye. Unfortunately the animal control officers have been out there but they refuse to do anything because the dog is receiving food, water and shelter.

Maybe if the amazing people from COTH get involved and pressure them enough we can get some help for this dog. Maybe not removed from property but at least some vet care. I imagine it is horrible living like this from day to day.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/CIMG3848.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/CIMG3847.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/CIMG3846.jpg

There are 4 dogs on the property, including 2 puppies the man just purchased and 3 horses. Horses don't look great either. A friend of mine picked up 2 litters of puppies in front of this house in a drainage ditch a few months ago. They too were covered in mange, we had no idea where they came from until now. Puppies looked just like this dog.

Please call/email Pitt County Animal Control in Greenville NC and voice your opinion.

http://www.pittcountync.gov/depts/amcontrol/
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

Goodness, I just clicked on their AC site & they sound awful. All they talk about is euthanizing & trapping. Boy! Sounds bad.
    I'm calling them tomorrow. I need to research NC state laws regarding what is considered animal abuse. They might not be following state law & hoping no one is the wiser.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Yes please call! we have to push and nag to get things to change!

Has anyone had time to make a call? I know they are closed on the weekends but you can leave a message.

Ugh. State of shelters here in the South, especially Carolinas, so dismal. Poor baby. Weird, she doesn't look 'crusty' enough for demodex but obviously something bad is going on without a doubt. Look at the waggy tail and saggy chest, and you know she's HW positive. My heart breaks for that momma.

Can you talk to the owner and threaten you've called animal control, and he might as well take them to the shelter before they press charges truth stretching type thing? Do you have any communicable relationship with this guy at all? I'll call them on Monday and fuss as well.

Yes I have called AC and spoke with the sheriffs office... his neighbors have tried to help him and talk him into not getting more animals, but he bought a yearling pony recently and 2 more puppies.

I offered to help him with the dog but he insisted they were in excellent shape and that he was already treating the dog with peroxide. Animal control has been to this place several times. I have also informed animal control that I will let them keep the horses at my place (less then 3 miles from their office) and possibly the dogs.