The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New clipper blades come with coating - Update? The blades are snap-ons?

I just read somewhere that some brands have a protective coating on their new blades that must be removed before using. I had not heard of this before.

I have ordered more blades and hope they arrive Friday so I can finish clipping.

Andis 7 FC
    Oster 8.5

Does anyone know if these blades come coated? If yes, what do you do/use to remove it?

The blades will probably arrive just before I leave for the barn. I am trying to prepare all in advance to save time and my energy.

I am also still debating whether or not to clip the saddle area. Would using the 7 blade be better than the 8.5 there?

Sorry my dumb questions. Thanks any and all help.
    (I will be wet clipping due to my allergies - and chemical solutions of any kind/amount make me even more sick).
    Last edited by grayarabs; Jul. 7, 2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: add update - new questions newer post

I didn't remove anything...but of course I only read the instructions as a last resort!!!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Use charcoal lighter fluid. It's cheap and and removes all the waxy coating. When you squirt the LF on running blades, you can hear them not work so hard. Since I've been using lighter fluid, my blades seem to last forever.

The 8.5 blades arrived. I unscrewed my 10 blades - went to screw on the new ones and thought "WTH" again. The new blades are "snap-ons"?

I am seriously confused. I thought one unscrewed the old blades and screwed on the new blades.

My old 10 blades - when removed - look like this:

http://www.sstack.com/horse-care_cli...lacement-blade

My clippers are Andis - 2 speed - I think AG series. I did not keep any of the instructions. I have not used them in years.

I called Andis yesterday and the gal seemed pretty sure I could just pop off the old blades and pop on the new ones. I don't see how.

Help please!

Default blades

You have blades for a different model of clipper. You said you hadn't used the clippers in years and many changes have been made, namely 'snap on' style.....screw ons are old style. Check your clippers for a model number......yours are also the adjustable type where you can slide the blades to cut shorter or longer....nice feature but not for heavy duty clipping. Blades are still available.
    Do some google searches and you'll see all the different types.

Thanks. I am guessing I bought my current clippers 8-10 years ago. To clip my dog. Used them a couple of times - cleaned and oiled and put in a sock. I forgot I had them. Decided to try them on my horse and they work - but 10's too close.

In the past I have had snap-on blades. I prefer the ones I have - the screw ons. Do they have a specific name? "Replacement"? I have searched and cannot find the same blade. I don't know the clipper model. Nothing much is on the clippers to identify them - except the fine print on the back that I cannot even read - and I doubt that is model info.

I can lend you clippers, just be careful with those blades since they can nick the skin easier.

You need to buy the correct blades for your clipper. I remove the coating by running the clippers until the sound that they make while runnning goes from a whir to a higher pitched whine.

I use this:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/clipper-c...efault,pd.html

or this:

http://www.h42products.com/

I don't know about a coating, but I know a lot of new blades come dull. Not sure why companies think this is an awesome idea, but I've run into it twice. I just dropped my big Osters off for sharpening and any necessary servicing, and brought along a new pair of Osters that clipped like crap from day one. Ohhh I saw red, nothing like $120 clippers leaving corn row tracks on my horse's face to really get me mad. He said they were dull and sometimes they are shipped that way.

Grrr.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Blade Wash (not coolant or lube) is the name of the product for removing the protective coating.

Do you have to oil the blades after using blade wash? Do you put drops on the teeth - or on the bars of the blades?

Quote Originally Posted by GallopHer View Post
    Do you have to oil the blades after using blade wash? Do you put drops on the teeth - or on the bars of the blades?
    I oil frequently. Keeps the blades clipping smoothly and prevents premature over-heating.

Thanks all.
    Again a question about oiling the blades. Since most chemicals/oils really bother me I wonder if I could use a different lubricant.

I have tubes of Refresh PM eye lubricant (for my dry eyes) and it is obviously "safe" for me to use.

It is:
    Mineral Oil 42.5 pct
    White Petroleum 57.3 pct
    Inactives: .2 pct Lanolin Alcohols

Would this be OK to use?

I think the blade oils are made up of similar/same as above.

Also, when not using the blades - after cleaning - how should one oil/store them?

The new snap-on blades I just got came soaked in oil. (wrong type blades - so now I must take extra special care of my 10 blades that do fit/work).

A friend removes her blades, oils them and keeps them in a cloth separate from the clippers between uses. Hers is a Clipmaster - but has similar blades - ie the "screw-on" two separate blades. I am thinking that is what I should do.
    Remove the blades, oil and wipe them down - screw back on or leave off for storage. (Using the eye lubricant.) ie lubricate all the blade surfaces.
    Not just drizzle a bit - turn clippers on to distribute - turn off/wipe off and that's it.

UTB - thanks your kind offer. I might be able to make do with what I have.

My clipper instructions recommend soaking new blades in a blade wash for 1/2 an hour before use to remove any such coating.
    friend of bar*ka

As an FYI - I have always washed the large clipper blades in soap and water to remove the coating, then dry thoroughly...