The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default mare being mounted by a young gelding question

We have a 5 year old mare, she is one of two mares and 6 geldings in the field. She is being mounted and penetrated by a young almost 3 yr old gelding just cut about 3 months ago. My questions are 1. is this unhealthy for especially the mare and could she get infection or get hurt?
    2. is it possible that the gelding could still be able to impregnate her because it not been that long since he was cut.
    3. is it ok to have geldings and mares together when this is happening?
    I have not made a big deal about it yet, want the facts before I panic and ask her to be moved. The only other place she could go though to be with other horses is in with two other geldings one of which is mine and I am uncertain he will not try the same thing (he was cut at age 3 and is 7 now) as I have heard when he was with the group he did mount the only mare out there. thanks for your advice!

Totally normal, esp. at these ages, injury possible but rare, pregnancy unlikely but ask your vet to make sure. If there's any doubt, you can give her a prostaglandin shot to "slip" it.
    This "horseplay" goes on even among the 20-somethings!

I would want my mare separated from geldings that act that way. I don't want them introducing germs or infections into her body. Might be natural, but doesn't have to be allowed to happen. This is one of the reasons geldings and mares are not always kept together.

Our Vet always said 6-8 weeks after gelding the horse could still be fertile, so best to keep him away from any mares if you don't want a surprise foal. Amazing how often THAT happens!

No reason that a mare should be getting the brunt of being mounted by geldings and needing to be checked for infections from them. Some mares just give up fighting the geldings, who mount her and penetrate whether she is in season or not. Get her out of that field, along with the OTHER mare, put the geldings together. You will probably get LESS arguing, biting and fighting, if gelding herd has NO MARES in the field with them.

thanks for both different views. I will check with my vet today, just had him out yesterday to look at my geldings eye and forgot to ask, we just found out Sunday when hubby went out to the back 40 to bring her up for a ride and there they were. She is NOT fighting him, she is quite the opposite. thanks again!

My gelding does this. He cannot be out with mares. Which is why I moved him to a barn that separates mares from geldings. Someone mistakenly let him out with the mares several months ago and WHOOOO-WEEEE did he have fun until he was caught! (Took everybody at the barn about an hour to catch hhim, too.)
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I absolutely would not allow my mare to be mounted regardless of whether or not there was a risk of pregnancy. There is a risk of injury to both parties.

I posted about this issue a few months ago. Our gelding was mounting and penetrating our 3yo mare. We're almost certain that she received a cut from it, which got infected and turned into cellulitis. It was over a month of cleaning, antibiotics, etc. And not cheap.

I would not allow my mare to stay with a gelding who does this. We have had to separate ours, and now our mare goes out with a different gelding.

Good luck!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

The other neighbor's mare came for a visit three times over the course of 24 hours, we corraled her up and at no time did I put the pony in with her because he would have "bred" her - she could get hurt, he could get hurt, she could get an infection, there is NO good reason to have them together.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We had a mare mounted by one of the geldings; horses had been together frequently over years, first sort of time, and she was pretty torn up. Stitches, and such. Not a safe practice, in my book.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Ok first I'm going to admit to the old double standard for female/male horses.

I never would put my mares out with horses that mounted them. Of course my mares refused to allow geldings to mount them, altho they would pair up with geldings. (Two of my mares had had foals before I got them.) However, one of my geldings over my lifetime does mount mares. Cloudy has done it since I bought him. He has jumped wooden paddock fences and hot wire and gates to get to mares. He has also been chased off by one mare down in Florida.
    So then at our last barn, Cloudy met Hattie and altho she'd never allowed in 7 yrs the stud at the barn to touch her (well the stud tore up her leg the last time BO tried to breed them, and spent a week or more and thousands of dollars at the vet's office.), she immediately hit on Cloudy. So he left all the other mares alone at that barn, and has been with Hattie exclusively since February 2008. I took her with us when we moved just over a year ago. I do understand the issues involved in sex between the 16.2 Cloudy and the 14.3 Hattie, but well, I've decided she's worth paying board and vet bills for them to be in a "committed" relationship. (they were lavaliered for a few years.) It's really nice to see the old man settling down with one mare in his old age. Altho she's the boss and she'd whip his big rump if he hit on any of the mares at our barn.

However, in OP's situation, I'd not want someone else's horse mounting my mare.