The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Slow-Grazer Hay Net?

I'm moving my horse to a place that feeds three times a day and I have the option of feeding in a SlowGraze style hay rack or hay net.

I think I'm going with the hay net for portability reasons.

Which slowgraze hay net do ya'll prefer? I'm looking at the Freedom Feeder or the SlowFeed Hay Saver right now.

Also, if she's fed three times a day, will 2-3 flakes each feeding help her last through the night? Any idea?

Thanks!

I like the Freedom Feeder. But watch their video of how to hang it and how to fill it. It is much easier how they show you in the video.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Can't go wrong with the Cinch Chix products.

Default Cinch Nets

You mean this one?

http://www.cinchchix.com/index.html

How much do these cost? I can't find a price on the website.

She may have picked up a wood chewing habit, but I kind of doubt it. It's only been a month and for all I know she's only done it a couple times.

Even so, would this kind of feeder help eliminate the problem, even if she's in a smallish dry lot? I plan on exercising her about four times/week.

Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

I love the nibblenets. I have 8 of them in use in my barn for when the horses are in the stalls (we have slow feed hay boxes outside that we built). They hold up extremely well, reduce waste and are easy to fill which is my main criteria.

I use the nibblenets also. They come in a variety of sizes and have held up extremely well.

I also lke the nibble-net. Good quality, holds up to punishment! Willie used it during his last bout with laminitis to keep him busy during his stall rest.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I have a busy Grande slow feeder and like it alot. We also use the cheaper nylon small hole nets and those work well too. We removed the drawstring and just use a metal clip run through all the loops, works great. We also hang it with a rotating snap, since we found as the horses turned the net it would come unhooked from the eye bolt.

Thanks for all your opinions. After looking at some of the different brands, I think I'm going with the 9" Nibblenet. It holds 12-18 lbs of hay. It looks like if I put 15 lbs of grass hay in there that it should last her around 8 hours. Does this seem accurate-ish? If they refill it twice more each day, she should have food 24/7. That is my hope and calculation.

Does anyone have experience with Nibblenets eliminating vices like chewing?

I have the small hole hay net from Smartpak and two large flakes of hay lasts forever! Pony used to easily go through a hay bag in a two hour trip to Aiken (would often pack two for him!!). Recently took a trip up with the new hay net and it lasted the trip up, the trip back, AND all the two small trips from barn we were staying at to where we took lessons.
    I will say it's not super easy to load so not great for everyday use, but is fine for trailering trips and I think I got it for like $12... but if this thing ever wears out I'll be getting one of the above options that's easier to load.

I adore my Nibblenet! I have the 12" XL model; I can usually stuff almost 1/2 bale into it and still clsoe the top. My piggish OTTB can empty that sucker in about 8-10 hours if he's in all day, but I like the peace of mind in knowing he's going to have hay in front of him pretty much all the time. (If hay is just put on the floor, he tends to make a mess of it, pee/poop on it, then not eat it and stands around looking like he's dying of starvation.)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Small Hole haynets from Dover. 9.99 from the "sale" catalog. The material differs depending on what color you buy. The blue outlasts the black 2 to 1.
    Marriage: an on going experiment to prove there are at least two ways to do everything.

I would also check out , "equinets" I just got one and am liking it alot, they have different sizes and they seem well made, much heavier duty then most nets.
    When you are young and fall off a horse, you may break something. When you are my age and fall off you splatter. Roy Rogers

I'm a huge fan of Freedom Feeders. They are much easier to fill than conventional hay nets. Mine lasted through two years of daily abuse before needing replacement. I would recommend getting the larger sized on, that is supposed to last for 24 hours if completely filled, rather than the "trailer sized" one, which holds 1 or 2 flakes max.

I'm assuming you mean the Extended Day Freedom Feeder, SAcres?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Small Hole haynets from Dover. 9.99 from the "sale" catalog. The material differs depending on what color you buy. The blue outlasts the black 2 to 1.
    Do you have the item number for these? I do not have the 'sale' catalog.

Yes, that's the one. They run about $50 I think, but are well worth it!

I got a $9.99 small hole hay net from Chick's Saddlery a year ago. THey are still like new, and you can really cram hay into those things. I can fit almost 20 lbs in a net.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."