The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Default Who else buys 20 cartons of ice cream at a time?

I am big on deals, not an extreme couponer, because that is mostly icky prepared foods, but I will stock up when I get the chance.

Today I found a great deal on Breyer's ice cream. I buy store brand if I can't get Breyer's on sale, but Breyer's is our ice cream of preference. So I bought 20 cartons. And when I used to be able to get it under $2, I would buy 30 or 40 at a time, and bring them out as needed.

Who else buys ice cream in quantitly?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Well I don't buy anything as gross as Breyers but my local store had Ben & Jerry's for $2.50 a pint the other week, and I may have an undetermined amount (somewhere in the teens!) stashed in my upright freezer. And thank god for that upright freezer; we bought it for freezing our own produce, but it's mostly stuffed with ice cream and frozen pizzas.

If I bought 20 cartons I'd eat them all waaaay too fast. Um, I'm trying to remember what it was that they had the 10 for deal on that I passed up - something processed but perishable. Eh, can't remember, but I've bought whole grain noodles before when you could get them for half price, I kicked myself the day that I missed the deal on frozen peas - I hate starchy peas so I took these home to try and they were great - but I missed the sale by doing that .

We have the freezer space too, I just don't do it because I'd eat up all my savings.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

If I had the freezer space, you bet I would! Although I love me some Ben&Jerry's and Haagen Daz! Mmmmmm. I would eat it all too fast as well. I laugh at Ben&Jerry's when it says there are 4 servings in a container...try one...! Lol.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

There's only me here, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy in bulk like that.

Saying that, I did just buy two tube of Ben & Jerry's because it was on sale. I'm planning to make an ice cream cake with it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

See, not a B&J fan, I love Haagen Das, but there is no way I am buying that for my kiddos to go tthrough at warp speed.

Now that so much fresh fruit is in, I think ice cream and fruit is the best dessert : )

Crazy part, I can't eat it, unless I want to take Benedryl and go to bed. I'm allergic to milk. I react worse to ice cream than anything else our cows produce

I don't buy ice cream. It's free!!!!!!! With 70 some flavours at my disposal, no need to stock up. Funny thing is, I really only have about 10 flavours that I do eat.

And yes, rustbreeches, it's a great time of year now that strawberries, and raspberries and peaches are in season. Nothing better than a bowl of good vanilla ice cream with fresh fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    I don't buy ice cream. It's free!!!!!!! With 70 some flavours at my disposal, no need to stock up. Funny thing is, I really only have about 10 flavours that I do eat.

And yes, rustbreeches, it's a great time of year now that strawberries, and raspberries and peaches are in season. Nothing better than a bowl of good vanilla ice cream with fresh fruit.
    Can I move in with you please? I'm house trained and will help with the animals.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Can I move in with you please? I'm house trained and will help with the animals.
    people want me to adopt them all the time!

My GOD, 20 cartons of ice cream would last me until I retire!!!

I'm weird, I don't really like the stuff. I've had a *pint* sitting in my freezer for over 3 months. I don't know why I bought it - seemed like a good idea at the time! *shrug*

mht, can I come visit sometime and pick your brain??? I have grand ideas of starting a creamery operation, focusing on cheese. We have a local dairy that makes cheese, but I want to make good cheese. And it would justify my growing Ayrshire herd. I have tons of ??? about the inner workings. The head of the dairy dept at CSU thinks what I want to try and do would go over well. He also offered up graduate students to do a business model and plan for me. DH is totally behind it, which helps

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    My GOD, 20 cartons of ice cream would last me until I retire!!!
    When I read this, I just assumed you were retiring by September

I don't have the freezer space, and ice cream seems to get funny ice crystals in it in our freezer, even unopened cartons, if it's in there too long. Plus I'd probably eat way too much of it. So no, I buy my ice cream in semi-moderation
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I LOVE ice cream-- but our power goes off way too often for it to be a worthwhile investment. I did buy ten bags of already popped popcorn at the store yesterday, though-- they were $1 each and they make an awesome snack for when I am driving and need something I can eat by the handful to help stay awake.

My brother's friend is in the Baltimore area and his power's been off for almost a week-- he's coming home today from vacation and has to clean out his chest freezer full of no longer frozen rats that he had for his snake. Makes me rethink buying in bulk!

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    mht, can I come visit sometime and pick your brain??? I have grand ideas of starting a creamery operation, focusing on cheese. We have a local dairy that makes cheese, but I want to make good cheese. And it would justify my growing Ayrshire herd. I have tons of ??? about the inner workings. The head of the dairy dept at CSU thinks what I want to try and do would go over well. He also offered up graduate students to do a business model and plan for me. DH is totally behind it, which helps

Ayrshires? I love Ayshires. That is what our herd consisted of when we still had our own cattle. One of our slogans was 'Ayrshire Extra Milk', because we had so many local breeders that shipped milk to us. You'd be hardpressed to find many herds these days....most are in Eastern Ontario and Quebec.

We are actually co-packaging Jersey milk, in glass bottles for a farmer. It's a niche market. Don't know how well it will take off.

I'm going to pm you with the email address of our comptroller...you can pick her brain all you want.

You rock! We milking 450, mostly Holsteins, but a number of Jerseys, 20 Ayrshires or so, including heifers. We have to go back east to find them. I went to Ayrshire Nat'l Convention in Frederick Maryland last year to buy some. The Ayrshire people are soooooo nice. We have the largest Ayrshire herd in Colorado! We also have a few brown Swiss, a couple milking shorthorns, a Guernsey (would like more if you know of any) and even one lineback.

The Ayrshires have been amazing. We are having trouble keeping production up once they get bred, but I think we can tweek some stuff.We are getting ready to get 20 more Jerseys in, so we are going to have one whole milking pen of 'colored" cows, all the Jerseys and Ayrshires. I like working around them for the shows. The kids have one they ride!

Yep. With pepco as my supplier, I keep minimal food in the freezer. Just lost some vanilla and ice cream sandwiches.

I am a sugar freak but I probably average 2 cartoons of ice cream a year and it's always for a layered dessert or as a side for a bar or dump cake.

Unless it comes from marble slab or coldstone I'm not really interested in ice cream. That being said, I never turn down a sale on cake or brownie mix.

I don't buy ice cream in quantity, but my husband LOVES the 'savings' he can make on buying large numbers/amounts of things. He once brought home 1 gallon of soy sauce. Do you have any ideal how long 1 gallon of soy sauce lasts!

Mmmmm, ice cream. I just had butter pecan for dinner. I'm not really a big ice cream freak, but in this weather, and with the sales that are going on, I'm susceptible. And there are a ton of coupons out for ice cream, popsicles, etc., so I'm never paying more than .99 for anything. I don't have the freezer space, though, so I have to use some self-control.

Poor Breyer's. That used to be the ultimate birthday party ice cream for our family. Now we usually get Turkey Hill. They're extremely generous with coupons if you email them a comment about their products, btw.