The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wedding Ideas. Update post #27 with our cheap wedding ideas that worked!

I need cheap and creative wedding ideas from how to best use a space, to decorating, to first dance songs... I desperately need your help... Go!
    Last edited by OveroHunter; Oct. 29, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Make your own flower arrangements. Low glass containers are cheap at Ikea, and Costco surprisingly has really nice flowers. A bunch of us got up early on the morning of my wedding and got all the flowers done in an hour or so. Put the grandmas, aunts and cousins to work!

Skip the fancy shoes.... you want comfort & looks. Get a pair of the plain white $5 Keds. Remove the real laces and replace with pretty lace. Using a hot-glue gun, glue on pretty sequins down the seams. Then glue on pretty pearls or other decorative things to make a design at the toe. You're "dressed" up but comfortable all day long!!!

Skip the printed programs... they just wind up in the garbage.

Feel free to have a fancy-schmancy wedding cake topper-only made just for you two to enjoy but then a huge sheetcake to be cut-up & served to the guests.

Get friends with talent to sing or play an instrument. Payment can be cash, gift cards or other suitable gift.... or they may make their "performance" their wedding gift to you & your beloved
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Sit down and make a list of things that you want, what you are willing to let go and what you don't want.

Now put each thing in order as to what is the most importment to you.

For us.

#1. having our moms and kids there.
    #2. I wanted DH in a kilt.
    #3. was where we had the wedding
    #4. good photos.

After that I didn't care. we where able to do our wedding for just under $6000.00.

You can see photos of our wedding at this link.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4447272&type=3
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Jump on a plane to Hawaii and wear flip flops...lol. Our entire wedding was under $3k....with the exception of the pictures that cost that much and havent been looked at since we got back...

We had a "reception" a month after we got back and our cake was an actual wedding cake from Publix...I think it was under $100 and pretty darn tasty!!!

Since you already have the perfect location...you dont need to worry about that I am guessing!

Mason jars are cheap...fill half way with water and light a floating candle for center pieces...

Large galvanized water troughs cleaned up and get some fabric...wrap fabric around the center of the trough to spruce it up a bit...dump in ice and beverages. Serves a purpose and I am sure you have some of them around your farm...you can buy smaller galvanized buckets and such from tractor supply and use the same fabric around them for forks, knives, etc...

Dont spend $$$$$ on the pictures...yes you want pictures but as soon as you say "wedding" they are over priced...most people have such good digital cameras these days, get a friend to take the pics and save your $$$$.

First dance, well..thats really up to you. Load songs on to your ipod and get the docking speakers...ask friends to load a few onto their ipods, phones, etc and take turns playing what everyone has brought. Can do the same with CD;s...
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    You can see photos of our wedding at this link.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4447272&type=3
    WOW AMAZING LOCATION!!!!! Very nice pics!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Pick a non traditional day and time. Sunday afternoon, Friday evening, etc. This saves on renting a location and you can possibly get away with not offering a full meal and instead do hor d'oeuvres followed by cake.

Have a very small cake and a sheet cake in the back to serve.

Wine and beer only or no alcohol at all.

Print your own invitations, programs, etc (I have done this for friends weddings, baby showers, bridal showers, etc and they can turn out very nicely)

Instead of a a dj or band create a songlist on your ipod and have a friend in charge of the music, and directing the wedding (introductions, announcements, etc)

Do NOT skimp on the photographer. Biggest mistake ever according to several friends.

Don't do favors, or welcome to hotel bags etc, they are nice if you have the budget but not important enough to make a priority

Ikea (as mentioned above) has great vases. Also watch craigslist and maybe even post a wanted ad. I have seen tons of ads for people wanting to sell stuff they bought for their own wedding.

Ask your married friends for things to borrow. I have loaned my toasting flutes, veil, cake cutters, and other things that cost money and are really only used once!

I'll keep thinking, or PM me. I LOVE wedding planning

Don't skimp on the photographer, food, or music. Keep in mind - even though the day is about you and your fiance, guest comfort is important! Not many will remember if you had fancy pants invitations or centerpieces, but they will remember if the food sucked. And YOU will want good photos to help you remember it!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

OMG. So so many - my cousin just got married this past weekend and they did nearly EVERYTHING themselves.

This is in no particular order....
    -Had a big marquee in the garden
    -Dad (my uncle) is in a band which plays appropriately wedding after party like music; so that was that sorted.
    -Best Mans mom does flowers; so that was that sorted.
    -Make up for Bride and Brides mom was done by one of moms friends who is a part time pro; bridesmaids (me and my sisters) did their own.
    -This is a biggie: They MADE the wedding cake themselves. It was 3 layers alternating lemon (sooo good) and fruit cake (its tradition in England; I hate it but apparently it was delicious for those who enjoy it!), then they had it professionally iced at a local bakers.
    -Theme was sailing (they are obsessed). Table decorations were flowers on a mirror in fancy pot things with shells scattered around it which they had collected on local beaches, and dove for on holiday themselves.
    -My cousin made all the Orders of Service and Menus on her computer; I would never have guessed they weren't professional if she hadn't told me.
    -Tables were named after different types of sailing dinghies instead of just numbers. One was going to be Solo hahaha but that got vetoed and changed to Optimist, which I thought was much more appropriate!
    -Favours were homemade mini pots of jam and marmalade. These had ribbon tied around the top with guests names to use as place-names at the tables.
    -My cousin cut out and sewed bunting in the colour scheme, which was blue. It went all around the inside and outside of the marquee and looked AMAZING.
    -They went to France to choose and buy the wine themselves (ok far easier/cheaper if you happen to live in the UK; but you get the idea). I thought it was a really nice touch though. **yes to wine and beer only - I didn't even notice the lack of an open bar. That saves a lot!

There are way more I know I'm forgetting, but it was a beautiful beautiful wedding. I think the main thing they couldn't do themselves was obviously the marquee and the catering for the actual wedding, though they did cater the lunch the next day (a hog roast for ~100 people).
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I went to a garden center and bought potted plants to use as centerpieces. Geraniums would look great, I used impatiens and I have to say that by my Sept. 15 wedding they were looking a little motheaten. I still think it is a good idea, though!

I bought an antique wedding dress for $300; I was looking for a used one, and found the antique (it was a satin dress, with a handmade lace dress over it, and it fit me perfectly. It was about 90 years old.

For a help on expenses...plan your own songs, make playlists, and just "hire" someone to play your iPod over the speakers. That's what we did. We made a playlist for right after ceremony during happy hour, one for during dinner, and one for the reception/dancing. That worked well.

We also enlisted a family member to be the Em C (sp?) during our reception. (granted, he announces all the football games in town too)

Best wishes. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The iPod with a friend to do announcing and keep track of it is a great idea... most people know somebody who does some sort of DJ gig and has speakers. (: I had a band, but it was my friends' band, and they cut me a good deal.

If you find a location that is already beautiful, you don't need to do much for decoration. I also planned colours that went with the ceremony and reception locations, so that reduces the amount of decoration you need. We had our ceremony at our gorgeous old 1904 UU church and didn't need anything but one little display in the front and a couple of memorial roses for our grandparents. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=8ee98103f5

The reception was in an old brewery from 1890. I bought paper lanterns in bulk online and had them strung around overhead, for less than $100. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=29de8012c9

Instead of a guest book, I put out a vase and origami paper squares and ribbons, and asked guests to write messages to us on the paper and roll them up to put in the vase. On our anniversary we opened them and read them, and they're a pretty decoration still. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=555f2fa1de

We also saved on the cake by having it really simple, with rough buttercream frosting rather than fancy fondant, and then just having the florist stick a couple of orchids on it. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2&l=34ac1299c1

My philosophy was to leave the big/last-minute stuff to someone else, like hanging the lanterns and doing the floral arrangements (we paid more for those, but then again, that was what my in-laws wanted to contribute), and then do the little things that could be done ahead of time myself. I designed and made programs, I calligraphed envelopes, I made place cards, etc. Place cards were easy--you can buy a paper pack to do them on the computer, and then I bought a couple of picture frames, filled the glass part with sand, raked it like a mini Zen garden, and put the place cards in that along with scattered smooth rocks (you can get them in a bag at the dollar store). A lot of the stuff I used all came from the dollar store. Wedding stuff bought from the dollar store looks tacky; things not intended for weddings bought from the dollar store can be super fun. (: I also got plain ivory tablecloths, the standard kind, but then I went out and bought a ton of placemats in my wedding colours that were on sale--two of those overlapping on each table under the centerpiece, which looked really neat. For table numbers, I bought vintage Buffalo greeting cards, which each had a replica postcard featuring historic Buffalo buildings, and wrote table numbers on the back. I also bought a ton of cheap plain glass votive holders and a ton of plain votives at Ikea and scattered those and more of the river pebbles on each table.

Then, afterward, you get to have a gazillion paper lanterns, placemats for years of dinner parties, and enough candles for the rest of your life. (:

Skip the flowers. My center pieces were apples and sugar cubes, and I got so many compliments! DH made these as well, we borrowed a welder and got free shoes from the farrier, only had to buy the paint, rings and votive holders and clean the shoes. And while we gifted out a bunch to parents and friends, DH sold a set for $40 to a coworker that actually covered most of the cost of what we bought!!

Depending on your theme, I've seen center pieces that were various types of glass vases filled with items (sand and sea shells for beach theme, autumn leaves (fake) for fall weddings, you get the idea) and then place items around the glass holders for fluff. Way cheaper than flowers.

I went to a craft store or Home Depot and got everything else: runners, place mats, antique-y looking "feed can," barrels to put more apples in... Then made everything myself.

I couponed too. I downloaded a coupon on my phone for a large % off something, so when I bought the burlap fabric it cut my costs down a lot. Lots of craft stores do that.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

We made quite a few things for our wedding, which definitely cut costs down. Also spent time in flea markets, and on etsy and Ebay, collecting various things to use (napkins, centerpieces, pom poms for the tent ceiling etc). We were able to find a lot of really cool things to use at the local salvage yard as well (old doors and windows). While it was definitely more work spending time doing these things, it helped to keep the costs down and added many personal touches that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. We spent the most money on the food, the venue and the photographer. I was very lucky that my Mother-in-law is a seamstress, and MADE my dress (as well as a few other things for the wedding), so I was able to save quite a bit there!

here is a link to some pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2700547&type=3

Good Luck!!!

Oh...guest book...

We got note cards and pens set at every table and asked everyone to write down their marriage advice. I have a book that we've slipped all of the 4 x 6 cards in and it's cool. Kids say the funniest things but honestly, some of the adults had such neat things to say. While we were flying to our honeymoon destination, we read through them all and placed them in a book. It's neat to read through.

Also...we did pies, not cake. I know, I know. But I hate cake! So we got lots of different pies and put them on different tables. During the reception, everyone was encouraged to go find "their" kind of pie and visit. This was neat because all of my husband's family is very close by but all of my friends and family were coming from many states away. Everyone got to mingle.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

What time of year? What is the space? Where? Is it @ the guest ranch? What feel are you going for?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Who did your save the date pics? They are good...are they affordable and available for the wedding pics?

Pinterest has a bunch of cute ideas. I have a lovely southern wedding book somewhere...it was on my coffee table but has since been replaced by baby magazines...Ill see if Ic an find it, LOTS of cute things in there you can duplicate yourself.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

pinterest will be your best friend. Lots of inspiration and DIY ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya View Post
    WOW AMAZING LOCATION!!!!! Very nice pics!
    Thanks, I fell in love with this place about 7 yrs before. Told DH that it was a lovely place and maybe we could do our wedding there. Took him to see it in winter and he loved it. they had an opening in May, so it was all set.

Having the wedding in a place that didn't need decorations made it much easier. Everything was in one box.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Don't skimp on food. If you can afford either a crappy three-course meal or really nice cake and punch and passed hors d'oeurves (pardon my spelling), go for the latter. Better to look like you have good taste and no budget than look like you're trying to be swank and have no idea how (or worse, like you don't care about giving your guests crap). As long as guests know in advance the sort and amount of food you'll be serving, you'll be fine. (Just don't do a small-bites reception at a time of day they'd be expecting dinner or have been waiting hours...then you have cranky hungry guests.)