The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Front load washing machines - do you like yours or not?

Needing a new set soon, and I have read of the mold and seal problem stories. That may have been fixed, but are front load washers that better than top load?

Thanks in advance!
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I like mine, but remember to check under/behind the door seal for lost socks and other items... Mine has a tendency to vibrate a lot during the spinning cycle, but I am not worried any longer about some garments getting caught in the agitator and getting out of shape.
    I have the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer. I could stack them too if I have needed to.
    Last edited by FalseImpression; Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

No! Hate them. Mine does not use enough water and I find that the "inside" clothes do no get clean. Plus they are not big enough. As far as mold, you HAVE TO keep the door open until it dries inside.

I'm going back to top load soon.
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

My parents have a front load washer which has its advantages and disadvantages. The grandkids love it because they get to watch the clothes spinning around through the window. To a toddler, this is magic stuff. Otherwise everyone else finds them annoying. It's a very nice one, wasn't cheap, but it takes forever and a day to get through a load of wash. We even have to throw in something heavy to weight it down so it will do the job properly. I don't recall the brand, but it definitely was not a cheap one.

I don't know if all front loaders are that way or not. I've stayed with top loaders because that's the only thing that also doubles as a felting machine for my art projects

I like my front loader. I'm short and I hate trying to pull clothes out of a top loading washer.

I've had a Whirlpool Duet front loading washer and dryer since 2008 now (the same ones) and I love them. The load capacity on both is enormous, and I haven't noticed problems with things not getting as clean as top loading washers.

I have always preferred the front loader to the top loader. Except for the fact that they cost more. You can wash larger items and they do less damage to your clothes. They use less water. They use less detergent. What isn't to like???
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

Have a Samsung set that's about 5 years old. Do keep the door cracked
    on the washer. We have very soft water so use very little soap...if I used
    the recommended amount, the poor washer would explode from the suds.
    Because of the soft water, I do almost always run an extra rinse cycle.

Have a lot of animal bedding, beds, etc. that wash nicely in that wouldn't in a top load with the agitator. If I have something really scrungy, throw an old towel in with it. Can't do my horse blankets, size 82 and 84, and get it clean. But their sheets, liners, saddle pads, all do well.

I would definitely recommend the pedastals, especially if you are old and creaky and don't want to stand on your head trying to fetch all the wash to
    put in the dryer.

There are some really nifty new models with steam features etc that look
    interesting. They do take longer to do a load, top loader was about 25 minutes, and my top loader is 45-50 minutes with the extra rinse.

I have a Samsung front loading pair, they're a few years old now and I still love them.
    Never had a problem with the mold some people are talking about. I can fit way more clothing in the front loads, including the horses's blankets (just not the turnouts, that'd be gross and not worth the effort).
    And I love not feeling like I'm tipping into the machine every time I have to unload. As a short person with a fear of confined spaces that means a lot!

I also have a Samsung pair. I don't like mine, it simply does not get the clothes clean, not enough water. I wind up washing heavily soiled things (barn clothes, saddle pads, etc.) 2 or 3 times. It does a lousy job on sweat stained things too, not good this time of year.

I do love the dryer though.

I never had front loaders, but our top loaders, for short me, are also hard to get stuff out.
    I have one of those long "reachers/grabbers" you can buy a Home Depot that lets me nicely and without bending pick up all and any in there.
    Would work for front loaders also.

For those with reaching problems, try one of those.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

We gave a top load with no agitator....love it!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Another vote for the Samsung...mine has more settings than Carter's has pills! I love the quick was setting - 35 minutes, and it's ready to go! If the load feels unbalanced, though, you might have to spin it again (have only had to do that a handful out of a zillion loads). It does vibrate hard if it unbalanced.
    I would buy one again in a heartbeat. As a previous poster said, the pedestal (which is a handy storage drawer) is great!
    Also has a delay start for up to 24 hours, which is really nice since our hydro (electricity) is headed for time-of-day usage rates!
    Have not tried horse blankets in it - I work in a non-horse environment and don't want to risk any of my good stuff picking up barn additions!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

When I built my house, almost 8 years ago, the builder then said many were going to front loaders, it was the rage, but he knew many were having problems with them.

Unless I just wanted a front loader, which was fine, he would suggest a top loader.
    Since that is what I was familiar with, that is what I got.

Are front loaders still more expensive, have more problems and are harder and more costly to repair, as the builder told me?

Maybe today they have those problems solved?

Love my LG front loaders. I have them each on the drawer pedestals.

No problems been 5 yrs or so.

I got the biggest and most heavy duty (without going over the top with options) so I can do horse laundry. i put socks on my girth metal so the do not clang so bad in the washer.

I do think these wash better than the top loaders.

I still have an older top load with the agitator, and it works GREAT! I had a truly ancient one that I HATED before that could NOT pull an entire load through without having to be rebalanced, no matter how large or how small, and I fought that stupid thing for years. Why I didn't just buy another used washer off craigslist I'll never know - I probably had a personal relationship with it and didn't want it to "win."

But this one is a Maytag something or other - just a plain, old washer, and it seriously works better than anything I've ever used. Quiet, quick, and now that I've lauded it it had darned well better not break!

I LOVE the new top end loaders. I like that you can still add stuff to them once it has started. No agitator and the capacity is enormous!

Love my Whirlpool Duet front load washer. I can fit my heavyweight Rambo's in and they come out clean!

It uses less water and soap so not the strain on the well or septic system.

I've never had mold or seal problems but I do keep the door cracked open and the soap dispenser slightly open as well so as to avoid any such problems.
    Last edited by msj; Jul. 5, 2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added last 2 paragraphs.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I have a Bosch front end loader that I truly love! Have had it for 5-6 years now. Like others said, uses less soap and water (though we have hard water and need a bit more soap sometimes). And for my clothes, it gets them much cleaner than the previous top loading machine. My husband is a farmer and can get his jeans really dirty, this Bosch always gets them super clean (but I use the heavy duty cycle, which is a long cycle). Love mine!

I had to go to a front load system when I moved the washer and drier from the basement to a very small room upstairs. I had to have something that stacked, and, at that time, Frigidaire was the only full sized model available. That was nine years ago and both units are still going strong.

I did have to have the tub in the washer replaced last year and found a bit of a problem with the replacement. The old tub and paddle-like protrusions around the inside, and the new tub doesn't. That means that, unless I do a good, full load, the wash can sit in the bottom and not tumble, even though the tub is turning. But, since it's more environmentally friendly to do a full load anyways, I just wait until I have enough things to make it work.

When I get a new set, I'll make sure that the tub is equipped to help the wash tumble. I always leave the door open for quite a few hours, after I am done washing, and, so, haven't seen a mold problem.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.