The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can I get a confo critique? Under saddle videos now posted!

Thought I'd ask over here since I'm thinking jumpers (maybe eventing) for my guy instead of dressage. This is Friday, a NSH (ArabxASB) gelding. He has a thing with munching on cross ties, lol. Feel free to be brutally honest, no need to soften any criticism. (Sorry he's standing funny, he was a wiggleworm and I didn't have a helper)

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...65514398_n.jpg

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...67878455_n.jpg

Cross ties are yummy: https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...34622318_n.jpg

I'll try to get some video this weekend.
    Last edited by MyssMyst; Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:28 AM.

I have to say it's hard to get past that neck. He must be descended from the halter bred Arabs from the 1980's. I have no idea how that would affect him over fences.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I too get kind of stuck looking at that neck. Would love to see a video though!

the neck will make for some difficult times in the dressage ring.
    How tall is he?

I love a long neck. I have an ASB cross.
    I'm far from any sort of conformation expert, so take this w/ a grain of salt:
    I like his shoulder, but he appears to be a bit back at the knee, which can be very detrimental to long term soundness. Looks like his pasterns are fairly upright, too(which sometimes can be improved at least to some degree w/ a change in trimming/shoeing).
    Obviously he has an extremely long topline, but IME the possible adverse effects of that vary widely from horse to horse; the rest of the build, balance and way of going play a huge contributing factor.
    I can't see his hind end well in those photos, but it looks like it could be a little too straight.

I guess I just noticed a) he's beautiful b) lovely color c) he looks like a charming fellow and d) that's a heck of a neck!

I've admitted a number of times on COTH I'm no conformation guru, but perhaps that neck would help him stretch over oxers or wide, natural jumps?

Whatever you do with him, he's a good looking boy who can eat all the crossties he wants, at least in my book.

He's a bit over 16h, IIRC. I haven't sticked him, lol.

He has more personality than I know what to do with. His favorite game for a while was tossing his jolly ball over the stall front when someone walked by. It was amazing how often he'd succeed in hitting people over the head. He also loves tipping water bottles while people are drinking.

I'll probably do a couple years of hunters just for some nice course experience without needing to worry about speed. In the hack, would I be better off keeping him in a shorter frame because of super-neck? I'm thinking that if he was allowed to get into a longer frame, he'd probably look like he was really on the forehand.

What a lovely, beautiful boy! First of all, I totally dig his color. A good horse is never a bad color though...

His neck, I love! I've found with longer necks, they are a bit more flexible than shorter necks. It will give him a nice round look over jumps if he has a decent jump and should fare him well if you do hunters.

He looks nice and scopey, his hind legs look a bit cow hocked and sickle hocked. I would be ok with sickle, but not sure how the cow hocks will hold up.

His shoulder is nice. I can't wait to see video of his gaits. I wanna see a pic of his jump too. Only so I can drool.

His front legs seem ok, I couldn't see if he was back at the knee.

Conformation critiques are hard though when you don't have a horse properly squared up.

He's so gorgeous!
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

He is a lovely grey! Nice butt, maybe looks like he needs a tad more weight but it could be the angle. Eh, he has a long neck, but you know that.

I can only really comment on the body conformation with the pics, not really any leg stuff, but imagine dividing the horse into 3 equal parts by dropping lines down to the ground from the top of the withers and the point of the hip. "Ideally", these would be the same (or imagine you draw a box around his body, minus the neck. Is it a square? Rectangle? Are the sides even? There are definitely people here who are more expert than I =)

You know what is important- you love him and ride him and have a good time with him, accomplish your goals, no matter what they may be.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Conformation critique - I think his body is nicely balanced (hind/barrel/shoulder) good weight, healthy coat, head is coarse but cute, neck is long/thin, he is a bit upright in the front pasterns and straight in the hind leg.

But saying that; he is not a conformation hunter so if he has scope and stride, jumps with his front legs up and not under him, isn't lazy with his hind legs and takes good care of you around the course - perfect conformation is not necessary.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Finally some video (just Friday loose). Please pardon the quality, this was taken with my crappy camera phone:

http://youtu.be/K2LzfXqEdTM
    http://youtu.be/tPuwjwIXGuk

No conf. critique here, but he's adorable! lol Freshy!

He's kind of a klutz. He tried doing a sliding stop and wiped out *sigh* I wasn't brave enough to post that video, lol. This is actually after he calmed down a bit, lol. I should have videoed the amazing bucking spree that he started with.

Typically for his breeding (either half of NSH, really) he needs to learn to move through his back. That'll take stretching him out and down to get it to happen.

I would guess he'll move nicely then, but you can't tell much from yahooing videos, and can't tell anything about his confo from those photos. He doesn't appear to trail his hocks behind him which is a big plus, but we can't tell whether or not he really has a true 3-beat canter or not from that...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

That is quite a neck! That aside, he does look a touch back at the knee...that's the only thing I can really clearly see. He's a cutie.

I think in the turn out he looks pretty coordinated and balanced. I like him. He looks like he could do a lot for you.

Sorry he wiped out... but in the videos you did post he looks great I think......
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Some quick under saddle videos (this not me riding):

At the trot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvg8i0-WzU

At the canter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwT7lC3rcZI

I really need to invest in a decent video camera, lol. The phone is, well, sucky.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

He is absolutely cute as a bug's ear. He is a lovely active mover, I would think dressage would be easy for him. What does he jump like?

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll have to get video of that too. Every time I've taken him over the teeny stuff (12 in crossrail or vertical) he looks at it, rounds without me asking, and depending on his mood it's either smooth as silk or like riding a rocket launcher, lol. Rocket launcher usually when he decides to overjump (typically when he's decided he's done with the small stuff, and EVERYTHING gets turned into a 3ft jump).

If I have issues with something, he usually stops and gives my trainer a really pathetic look (me learning to long line had MANY great examples of this). If there's anything I can say for him, it's that he's never tried to get me off, and is really good about stopping (even the occasional super spook) if I lose my seat at all. He'll give me a challenge, but it is always in the realm of things I can handle (which is what I love most about him). He's also locked on the jumps before I am, lol. We're not even in the corner before he's looking for the next one with ears pricked.