The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default stubben saddles

anyone ride in a stubben siegfried? any comments about stubben saddles in general?

need a new saddle!
    thanks

I have a friend that absolutely despises hers, but I'll let others chime in because I know a lot of people on here like them. However my friend and I have even plotted to run over hers with the golf cart at horse shows because she hates it so much.

I love my Stubben. Others HATE theirs. You will need to make up your own mind on them.

Also: Mine are all vintage & it really makes a difference to me. [But you may still HATE them.]
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

1 members found this post helpful.

I ride in a Siegfried. I know a lot of people don't like them. They're out of fashion. I love mine, though. It has saved my bacon numerous times.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

The new models with custom sizing are great. I am hoping to get one next year. I think customizing the fit is a great idea and for my 5 year old OTTB it will really help him. The trainer that rides my guy has ordered her saddle and the rep came out to make sure the size was right.

Huge issue for me since I had one trainer ride my guy and then he was lame for 8 weeks. Had a vet come out to say it was saddle fit issues and back pain. I think Stubben did well with revamping their saddles and offering semi-custom options.

The thing with the Siegfrieds is that they're meant to be ridden with a pretty short leg. They're not really in fashion. A lot of people insist they put them in a chair seat. They're a saddle that either works for you and you love it or you will hate it. They're not terribly "cushy" saddles. I'm not a fan of a lot of stuff between me and the horse, so I love that about them. Others HATE it. I find my rock hard Siegfried comfortable enough to do endurance rides in.

I LOVE my Stubbens. I have 3.5 (Roxane, Aramis, Wotan, and selling my Siegfried II to my best friend) of them. You will have to pry the other three from my cold, dead hands. I'm ONLY selling the Siegfried because I also sold her the gelding that I bought the saddle for and my Arab isn't a huge fan of it (short tree points on the one I have don't fit him right, but the QH likes it). I bought all of them very used, but you'd never know it. I'd go show in any one of them tomorrow.

If you want to try one, pull one off eBay. Ride in it for a few weeks. If you don't like it, throw it back up there. You'll only be out shipping it one way. They're pretty easy to resell.

People seem to either love them or hate them. Personally I love them. My first Siegfried was an older (made in Germany) model. It is probably as old as I am. I need to send it out to have some work done (billets and reflocking) so I bought a second, newer Siegfried as well. (Made in Switzerland and about 20 years old but looks like new.) Now, I don't show, and I identify more as an eventer. The Stubbens seem to be less popular in H/J. But I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

I ride in a Siegried CS with an extra forward flap and I love it. So does everyone who's ridden in it, even some confirmed Stubben haters. It was the only thing within my budget that fit me and my horse--we're both tricky, him with his long wither and big shoulder and me with my long legs and big butt . The ones with the Biomex seat are pretty comfortable.

They are really durable.

ive been riding in a borrowed stubben - it is over 40 yrs old! it came with the horse i am leasing. i would love to buy it cause it fits me so well.

why do people hate them?

i hate saddle shopping!

I've had two Stubben saddles and I LOVE mine. I started with a Stubben Artus for my older TB and it was really comfortable. I recently, about Feb 2012, got a new Stubben Roxane for my younger OTTB and it has been great. My boy has shark fin withers so they were able to have the saddle fit him perfectly with plenty of room and clearance for his withers. I am also a jumper so it has a bit of a deeper seat than most which is perfect for me and I hope to dab in eventing again as well.

My Artus is nearing its 15 years old and looks great and holding up great. My Roxane looks good as new. I definitely recommend them but also know that people either love them and stick with them or hate them and never touch them.

My first Stubben I bought through Dover and my second one I actually worked with Stubben NA directly and they came out to do a fitting and let me try all their saddles. They kept in contact with me the entire 6-8 week time it took to build my saddle. Great customer service and they are definitely about quality as well. I hated saddle shopping, but it was easier for me as I knew what brand I wanted I just needed help with which product would work best for me and my horse. They definitely made the shopping painless and actually more exciting!!!

Good luck!
    Last edited by cswoodlandfairy; Nov. 14, 2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: adding info
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I have a Stubben Siegfried VSD DL. It fits both my horse and I. It does nothing to correct my natural chair seat, but it rides fine. When I was saddle shopping, I test rode one on a recommendation and it was by far the best option for us. The quality is very good, and I'm happy with my choice.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bastile View Post
    ive been riding in a borrowed stubben - it is over 40 yrs old! it came with the horse i am leasing. i would love to buy it cause it fits me so well.

why do people hate them?

i hate saddle shopping!
    People say Stubbens put the rider in a chair seat. Others complain that they are rock-hard to sit in.

I think these are legitimate complaints about the old Siegfried VSS all-purpose saddles, but not the others.

I find mine very comfortable. The hard seat doesn't bother me, and the security is excellent. This is very important to me as I ride a lot of green, unpredictable horses. The quality of Stubbens does have a deservedly high reputation. I bought mine used in 1979, and I replaced the billets once, two years ago. It's still going strong.

Stubbens aren't trendy, and I think that's the main reason people don't like them. Part of the problem, IMO, is that Stubben has been victimized by the very success of their best-known model, the Siegfried VSS, which is what everyone I knew in Pony Club and eventing rode in back in the 70s. The Siegfried VSS is a solid, deep-seated all-purpose saddle with pencil knee rolls and big thigh blocks. That's not what people ride in today in the hunter and equitation rings. People today want a close-contact saddle with a lot of padding in the seat, with ultra-soft leather, and (often) a fancy French name.

Stubben has made a real effort with its newer models to accommodate what today's riders want, and their close-contact and jumping models are beautiful, IMO. They also make a large variety of dressage, children's, and all-purpose models, and they ofter custom fittings, too. Unfortunately, many won't consider Stubben.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastile View Post
    If you look around, you can probably find one just like it in the range of $250 - 500. There are tons of the older Stubbens still around in decent shape.

Count me among those that love the older Stubben Siegfrieds. Train in one at my lesson barn. Trainer has also had me try her Pessoa, but I'm partial to the Stubben Siegfried. The one I ride in there is German made and has the silver stirrup bar, which makes it early to mid 60's. When I went looking to buy a saddle I wanted to get one as close to that one as I could, and actually found a mid 70's to mid 80's (based on the stirrup bar colour and engraved front nail head) that had never been used (still had the tags on it). The mother of the woman I bought it from had bought it but died before she ever used it. Her daughter kept it as a keepsake, but recently realized that her mother would rather have it used than sitting in her living room, and she only rides Western. I happened on the listing and scooped it up. I have never been happier with a purchase! Mostly trail riding with the 2 horses I'm using it on and the seat is so secure - have stayed up through even the major shies on the trail (like when a pileated woodpecker flew up from a stump right in front of us - those suckers are BIG!)

I'm not the biggest fan of the looks of the newer Stubbens so I'm so glad I was able to find a basically new older style one. Could care less if it's "out of fashion" because I am so comfortable in it.

Depends on what you want to do. If I was going to be riding rough stock, greenies or hacking out alot? I'd get my butt in one in a heartbeat.

BUT if you want to show Hunters or Eq or even Jumpers to a certain extent? Maybe not. They do put you in somewhat of a chair seat and a little behind the motion-that is a great spot to be in with any kind of unpredictable situation or if you are spending hours at a time in the saddle.

Not so good for showing off a good jump, sitting light or going forward to the timers. They also do put you where a shorter stirrup length is much more comportable and that's not what they want to see in the Eq, particularly on the flat.

But they are durable, comfortable and there are tons of them available since they have been around for so many decades. It is a nice choice for an all purpose kind of saddle.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I had a newer stubben siegfried and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I so regret selling it, but then if I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to afford a trip where I met one of my closest friends, so I guess everything happens for a reason. It retained nearly all its retail value after about 10 years of ownership btw.

I'm going to save up for either a lightly used or new one...I personally love the thicker knee blocks and harder seat, which I know some people don't like.

I've tried a friends Roxanne, which I also loved!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I have an older Siegfried that I absolutely adore. Yep, the seat isn't 'cushy', but I don't need more padding for my butt anyway.

It fits my TB as if it was made for him, plus I'm the size of an Oompa Loompa, so it works all the way around!

I'd love to find a German made one in my size, but I'm pretty happy with my vintage Swiss model. Don't care if it's considered fashionable or not, it's a gorgeous, well made piece of art.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I just sold mine, it was 42 years old, although used for less than 10 years, and it was in amazing condition, they are great saddles. I sold mine for $500 and it cost around $150 or $250 back in 1969. I have to admit, once I bought my cushy CWD I never rode in it again, but there is no beating their durability, they are an excellent quality product, just not in fashion.

Stubben's fit my narrow tb very well. The older ones definitely have a hard seat! I have a 10-15 yo Excalibur dressage saddle, and for schooling I have to use a seat saver. I tried the Roxane S jump saddle and really liked it, but ended up getting an Excalibur jump saddle (with the biomex seat). I would think one of their newer CC models would be fine for hunters/eq.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I still have my Stubben that I bought in 1966. A Stubben Imperator, and I still love that saddle. It is comfortable and really durable! After 46 years, I still adore that saddle. I still have a Steinkraus Hermes and also an Original PJ, but nothing beats my Stubben for a nice trail ride, or working on a young horse.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro