The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Perfect Prep for a pony (cross posted in Horse Care)

For those of you who use Perfect Prep, what dose do you use for a large pony? I know that it can be trial and error but I need a baseline to start.

Be warned that you are probably going to start a sh!tstorm with this post...

1 members found this post helpful.

You could email Perfect Prep and ask them if it does not say on the package. Another way is to use percentages. If one tube is for a 1200 lb. horse and your pony weighs 700 lbs, then you would use 60% of the tube for the pony.

I'd do it as PonyPenny suggests and try to figure out the pony's weight and do an equivalent percentage of the tube.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I had a pony person recommend to me, and when a fellow competitiors mare apparently checked out the second day of the show, in major heat, and decided she was the second coming of Seabiscuit, I mentioned it to her. Having had no experience with it, and having found calm and cool less than effective, she gave her warmblood mare a full dose and promptly had a semi catatonic animal that would not come off the leg at all and was barely walking down the aisle, let alone jumping a course. Class scratched for day.

I would just say, despite expense, figure it out at home! Needless to say I have some guilt for suggesting something new at a show... but the owner was expereinced enough also to have considered the same fact... and live and learn!

skyy is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I have emailed the manufacturer. If I don't hear from them before the event, I will go with the weight/percentage method that you suggested.

If it was me, I would not experiment with this the day of a competition (ok, let's be honest, I wouldn't be using this at a competition unless it was a non-competing horse). I'd try it a few times first just to see if the dose is enough/too much. I don't think PP does all that much, at least that's been my experience-- but better to be safe than sorry.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/