The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Anyone else a housewife?

Yes, I am a housewife! No, I don't have any kids! No, I don't shop all day! Sometimes, I feel bad about not working because all of my friends work. Sometimes, they treat me like I am lazy, but I am not. I am busy all day riding and then keeping up with the house/errands. My husband has no problem with me not working and likes me being at home. Anyone else in this situation? Do people give you grief for not working?

well, i am not a "wife" anymore, but i "work at home"....
    was a stay at home mom when i was married, then began to work out of my home.......as my kids got older, i got a 40hr a week job that was very flexible about how i made my hours.........
    my both girls are out of the house.....i have had a special needs foster man/child living here for the past10 yrs, and that income helps pay the bills............i work damn hard most days, just for myself, instead of someone else......and when i need more cash than budgeted, i freelance........

so, when asked on any sort of survey or poll, i always say homemaker.....because that IS what i do..........make a house a home ......

I am home everyday all day with my special needs teen daughter. I would love to beable to work again but do to health am unable too.

Since I am unable to do alot of the things I used to beable to do, I have had to become dependant on others not by choice but by need. I have been able to help my daughter comprehend and achieve everyday living skills. I depend on her the most.

I spend most days inside reading, digital scrapbooking, on computer plalying video games with my daughter ect. I have been able to do a little gardening wich I really enjoy as does the rest of my family.

I wish like heck to have my old life back but I know that will never having so I have sucked it up taken the bad with the good and am trying to move forward.

I have a few relatives my own brother being one that doesn't feel I can't work. Duh after my accident I tried a physical labor job and a desk job and could do NEITHER. I wasn't one to just sit down and say oh I hurt to bad, I sucked it up and tried. It was a depressing blow realizing that I couldn't do it. But that's ok because eveyone's pain tolerance is diffrent. I just do what I can when I can do it.
    Actually we save more money because I am home than we would if I were working, basically because we aren't putting gas in a second vehicle, we aren't spending tons on groceries because of the garden and I smart shop.

I stay at home with DD. The cost of daycare is so extraordinary and both DH and I agreed that we want me to be home, raising our girl.

Because DH is military, I get a lot of flack from some other wives about marrying him for his benefits, so I didn't have to work, blah, blah. None of it is true. I worked up until two days before DD was born, and I really do miss it. I get very bored being home with her all day, and am usually out the door to the barn as soon as DH gets home. I don't have many friends around here, and we are on a showstring of a budget.

When she goes to school (barring the birth of anymore mini-minions) I want to go back to school and get my vet tech degree (or compete in upper level dress sage and own a huge multi-million dollar barn. The former is a more reasonable goal) and teach a few lessons on the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I envy you, Alternative1.

My mother was a housewife, only she called herself a "homemaker." She majored in Home Ec in college, worked as a home ec teacher and then an extension agent, and then when she got married she stopped working ... outside the home. She loved being a homemaker and was a very good one. When we kids were grown and gone she did not go back to work outside the home but continued being a homemaker.

What a life that would be ... and even better with horses (she was not a horsekeeper )
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I am a domestic goddess as Rosanne Barr used to say!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Housewife here! We have a dairy, so every Friday I work on it, and as needed on other days, but mostly I am at home taking careof our 3yo, getting the 9yo to and from school. volunteering at school, speaking about dairy life for our check off program, running errands etc. It was a condition of marriage for me. I had no intentions of getting married and having more children if I had to work outside the home
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

i am.. but in addition to the normal house/yard duties a normal "house wife" has, i care for 30+ horses, mostly drafts.. run 60 commercial cow calf pairs.. and chase two kids, 8months and 2 years. its 7 days a week wether i like it or not.. lol. the critters cant take care of themselves.

my "spare time" that used to be spent riding and showing, is now focused on the kids and keeping some semblance in my husband and I's lives.. when they get alittle bigger we can all go back to that, but now, its prettty tough. im able to ride a couple times a week if im lucky during the kids naps if hubby is home for lunch or after their in bed... or if i hire a babysitter..

alot of people that dont realize what all my "jobs" entail, and think i just sit around taking care of the kids, watching soaps, and eatting bonbons.. lol. some days, I WISH.. but most days, i wouldnt trade it for the world. most are pleasantly surprised that my kids are with me nearly 24/7 with everything i do. sure some days are spent mostly in the pickup running errands and picking up parts, but most are spent in the barn, the corrals or off meeting the needs of the critters.

i love my job.

I've worked off and on through the years but just pulled out of the work force about two months ago. The kids are grown and gone and it's wonderful to have a different pace and schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    I envy you, Alternative1.
    Me too!

My husband is older and retired. He is my house husband. He does the laundry and the shopping etc. I still don't have enough in my 401k to retire yet. But I'm getting there.

I wouldn't sit around either. I always have a ton of things to do in the spirit of home making. And there are so many creative things I could do instead of sitting here in front of a computer doing other people's paperwork....
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

I prefer to call myself a kept woman
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, 3 months of the year, I get to be one I am a teacher, so my summers and breaks mean I'm a homemaker--I LOVE it! My mom was for much of her life (she did work outside the home before kids and again when my dad passed away when her baby (me) was 16).

She showed me how to do it right--lists, projects, fun things, social times (I learned to drink coffee at age 3 thanks to her church meetings), volunteering, but always there to answer the phone when the kids needed her and to make dinner each night for a family sit-down meal. Wasn't always fancy, but I've tried hard to do the same for Mr.CC and my step kids.

I think Americans have forgotten that you don't have to have a 2 income household and having a parent home with kids is a good thing. I wish we could get by with one income (ok, we could, but....I wouldn't have horses! I work to support my horse habit)
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I prefer to call myself a kept woman
    LOL! When I was in high school and my mother asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up (college searches and all that) I replied "A kept woman". She nearly had a fit, but I came darn close and couldn't be happier.

Well, I take that back... I could quit my job. That would make me happier.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

me. I have a 5yo dd. I resented and resisted at first, but gave in. I'm super busy all the time. Something is always breaking and there always seems to be a fire to put out. Hubby appreciates it that I handle all of the stuff. DD went to a co-op preschool for 3 yrs and I'm so used to working at her school that I will probably volunteer a bunch when she starts public school this fall. When dd starts school this fall I can 1) go back to riding/competing and 2) get my business back up and running. hopefully. but we'll see. I am very glad that I have the chance to be with my dd during the stage of her life.

I can't tell you how many times I've met professional women who do really cool stuff tell me about their jobs then I watch their eyes glaze over and loose all interest in conversation after I mention that I'm a stay at home mom. I can relate, really I was like them at one point as well. I used to think that my life would be over once I became a stay at home mom. But it's not so bad.

Homemaker, sometimes more happy than others....

And no, I am not sitting about (much) my work is just unpaid.
    As are my other little side gigs I seem to get suckered into: School, scouts, lodge....not a one is my hobby...alas....
    I get my 'money's worth' by taking pictures... THAT is my gig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Well, as I just lost my job and am unlikely to get one by September, I guess I am now too. (: Though at least I can get unemployment...

I actually would love to be able to stay home and write, but although my husband's income could pay for the house and our general expenses, I really need to have an income to pay for my horse.

I wish!! Unfortunately, we have become a two-income society and I seem to have bitten that hook.

Women who set the pace in the 80's, what was it like? I hit the workforce mid-90's and just turned 40. From my perspective, the 80's is when things changed with two-income households, but was it prior to that?

My mom stayed home with us until the youngest went to school and then she worked days and went to college at night. I admire her work ethic.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

Add me to the "I wish" catagory...work full time at my "real" job along with being a mom to an 8 month old, a horse owner, and a home maker...I am underpaid....

I would like to be able to work 3 days a week or so instead of the 40+ hours at the office I currently do. At this point, I work to pay health insurance, board, and daycare...which doesnt keep me very motivated since I am broke as soon as I get paid!!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

For those of you raising small children you aren't housewives you are Mothers! The most wonderful and important job there is. Your children are so incredibly lucky to have you at home to raise them. I was lucky to have an at home mom to raise me and I appreciated it believe me!

The rest of you . . . GET A JOB! Kidding really really kidding! lol I have been lucky enough over the years to be able to be a non working wife. It was way fun and boy did I have a killer golf game! However being an A type person I found myself getting bored too easily. I started my own company and have been back at work for a few years now and love love love what I do!

Being at home and taking care of my husband was fun to me! I love cooking (ask his waistline) and making a home warm and welcoming. Being a high powered career woman isn't for everyone out there.

We all just need to find our niche in life and make the most of it and never ever apologize for it to another woman!!! It's your life and if you want to sit on the sofa and eat bon bons all day and have the means to do it well I have only one thing to say . . .freaking invite me over!!!!!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

My situation is very similar to the OP's...housewife, domestic goddess whatever you want to call it and no children. It was a decision that was mutually beneficial to my husband and I. I was not career oriented, and he wanted to come home to a maintained house and home life. I don't apologize for the life I lead and am very, very grateful for it. In all honesty it gives me a greater appreciation for what people with full time careers and children have to accomplish in a day.