The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Relay for Life

For those of you who have done Relay for Life do you have any suggestions for fundraisers or ways to make it more fun for your team? I'm a co-captain for a brand new team and last year was my first year participating in a Relay and I only stayed for a few hours.

Most of the people on our team haven't done a Relay event and we've got a big team- over 30 people (most of us all work for the same company and are in the same general department). We've had a discussion about how to set up our camp- if we want to rely on tents and pop ups or hire somebody to put up a tent/rent a tent.

We had a great fundraiser at a local bar/restaurant and brought in a little over $600. We're planning to have another one or two fundraisers at a restaurant. We also did a catalog 31 party, but that didn't go so well. I have a FB page for our team, too. We plan to have a table set up to sell luminaries as well.

I'm looking for ways to keep everybody motivated and ways to have a successful event... I'm a little concerned since we're new that we'll forget something simple that will make the night miserable! For those who have done Relay for Life... or anything similar... what worked... what didn't work??? And what do I need to make sure I don't forget!!!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

These charity things have become an utter bane around here--between the running, biking, and even rubber-ducky flotilla events you can barely get down the roads.

All this "fighting cancer" is pure hypocrisy as long as the Powers in Charge keep promoting dietary advice which is fundamentally causing all these chronic diseases; sticking estrogen plugs behind the ears of feedlot cattle, genetically engineering crops and lacing everything we grow with herbicides and pesticides; and then once we're already screwed, lying to us about the "safety" and "benefits" of drugs and trivial products that no one needs. Get me started about CT scans and MRI's for everyday "owwies," too . . .

GET cancer, which is becoming inevitable if you live and eat like the average American, and you are in for the tortures of the damned--none of which do much good, but that's kept a dark secret, too. Because you have just become raw material for the Cancer Industry . . . and it's a BIG one. And oh, BTW, they're a lot more concerned about where you fit in their BS statistics than they are about YOU. You're a notch on their fuselage if they can get something besides Big C to show up on your death certificate--fortunately, with treatment, that isn't difficult!

If anyone ever REALLY found a "cure" for cancer, much less true prevention, that secret and its author would quickly be sealed into a lead torpedo and shot into the Marianas Trench, lest this country's last growth industry crash overnight. Imagine the loss of the sanctimonious feelgood cheerleading industry alone! I say this as a person who's watched 2 people very close to me go through chemo in 2 years. No one's "fighting" this--they're freaking PROMOTING it.

These charities, half of whom if you lift up rocks are authored by pharmaceutical firms, strike me as fashionable ways the striving classes preen for each other by obsessive public exercise (the new "virtue") in the name of "a good cause," without actually having to stay home and write out a seriously big check.

Sorry, but you asked . . .

Well, not relay for life, but on the comity for the scout troop....

One of the lessons learned was 'use your resources'

That means shake the family tree, flush out friends and such who have something to contribute.
    That can be the facilities to host a fundraiser or the $$ to fill the coffers.
    Of course, it's knowing people who know people.

The school's geek club (national Honor Society chapter) had a car wash and sold those rubber bracelets. As a rare fundraising event, those things still sold for only a buck.

Of course, isn't the relay about getting people to pledge money for the miles walked/jogged? (that reminds me of that old commercial, can't remember what for, the guy signs the pledge with 'how does a buck a mile sound', then later the kid is on the news for having put more than 4000 miles behind him! )

you might be able to rent the local civic center at a low cost and host a pancake breakfast or spagetti dinner, or somebody in your group can smoke meat and you can sell Boston Butts. That is very popular around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    These charity things have become an utter bane around here--between the running, biking, and even rubber-ducky flotilla events you can barely get down the roads.

All this "fighting cancer" is pure hypocrisy as long as the Powers in Charge keep promoting dietary advice which is fundamentally causing all these chronic diseases; sticking estrogen plugs behind the ears of feedlot cattle, genetically engineering crops and lacing everything we grow with herbicides and pesticides; and then once we're already screwed, lying to us about the "safety" and "benefits" of drugs and trivial products that no one needs. Get me started about CT scans and MRI's for everyday "owwies," too . . .

GET cancer, which is becoming inevitable if you live and eat like the average American, and you are in for the tortures of the damned--none of which do much good, but that's kept a dark secret, too. Because you have just become raw material for the Cancer Industry . . . and it's a BIG one. And oh, BTW, they're a lot more concerned about where you fit in their BS statistics than they are about YOU. You're a notch on their fuselage if they can get something besides Big C to show up on your death certificate--fortunately, with treatment, that isn't difficult!

If anyone ever REALLY found a "cure" for cancer, much less true prevention, that secret and its author would quickly be sealed into a lead torpedo and shot into the Marianas Trench, lest this country's last growth industry crash overnight. Imagine the loss of the sanctimonious feelgood cheerleading industry alone! I say this as a person who's watched 2 people very close to me go through chemo in 2 years. No one's "fighting" this--they're freaking PROMOTING it.

These charities, half of whom if you lift up rocks are authored by pharmaceutical firms, strike me as fashionable ways the striving classes preen for each other by obsessive public exercise (the new "virtue") in the name of "a good cause," without actually having to stay home and write out a seriously big check.

Sorry, but you asked . . .

I would like to have a beer or two with you, to find out how you really think.

(the OP lost her husband to cancer rather recently BTW)
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My condolences to the OP are in order, certainly.

I just go off about this because the truth is just about diametrically opposed to what we are constantly told. The real information is out there; but unless you can buttonhole a Sloan-Kettering researcher at a cocktail party, you'll never hear of it. What I will say is that www.westonaprice.org has an awful lot of it right. There are reasons are ancestors didn't have this stuff, and they are NOT because they only lived to be 49.

Expect the medical establishment to arrive on schedule and flame me; they have a vested interest in making sure we all continue to drink the Kool-Aid. Literally.

Well, it is a cause the OP chose. It is important to her and as such will benefit her, regardless of how effective the program is.

But many of us are in the same boat, being involved in one organization or another in the need of fundraising. I think this is a wonderful opportunity to share experiences in this field!

I mean a lot of people do not care one iota for the Boy Scouts either. But if they don't mind sharing their ideas to make money, I am always all ears to pick up a new idea or two!
    If for nothing else than the above stated reason: The 'market' is oversaturated with fundraisers and people are tiring of it, not to mention the disposable $$ is waning.

It's a tough job!