The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Help With OTTB Prospects

I am in the search for an eventing prospect, but am on a tight budget...I have been browsing for the perfect horse for a while, and really like all of these mares as prospects. Confo critiques/opinions would be awesome - I know I'm missing something

Horse 1 - Long Way Round
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.proboard...lay&thread=217
    What I noticed - she looks pretty butt high right now, and her pasterns are a bit long for my liking. Her neck is also a bit short.

Horse 2 - Cover Ur Heart
    http://www.canterusa.org/~cant3r09/i...ainer-listings

Horse 3 - Avas's Rib
    http://www.mydhf.com/avas-rib.html
    My concern with her is that she has been having intermittent soundness issues, and is therefore a giveaway. I think she is totally worth the work it takes to get her sound though.

Horse 4 - Brooky Bear
    http://www.secondstartthoroughbreds....gs-2000_and_up

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vdowning13 View Post
    Horse 1 - Long Way Round
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.proboard...lay&thread=217
    What I noticed - she looks pretty butt high right now, and her pasterns are a bit long for my liking. Her neck is also a bit short.
    She's FOUR. She's not going to change a whole lot, probably. Pass.

Like! Look how uphill she is! You have a good farrier, yes? I'd really want to see that left front in person--she's maybe a little clubby?

Horse 3 - Avas's Rib
    My concern with her is that she has been having intermittent soundness issues, and is therefore a giveaway. I think she is totally worth the work it takes to get her sound though.
    What sort of soundness issues? Wait, haven't they been talking about this mare on shb? Ah, yeah: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=358901

Worth a look. Pictures of her suck. A little light in bone?

She's FOUR. She's not going to change a whole lot, probably. Pass.
    Those pictures are over a year old, but I would be really interested in seeing recent ones.

Like! Look how uphill she is! You have a good farrier, yes? I'd really want to see that left front in person--she's maybe a little clubby?
    I do have a good farrier for that and am honestly not too worried about a mild club foot, my old gelding had 4 completely different feet. Thanks for catching that though!

What sort of soundness issues? Wait, haven't they been talking about this mare on shb? Ah, yeah: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=358901
    I have been in contact with her owner about the soundness...It really doesn't seem like they have done any diagnostics on her and she is not currently on anything for the lameness.

Worth a look. Pictures of her suck. A little light in bone?
    I am a little worried about how light boned she is.

Based on these just these photos, #2 is the only horse I would consider.

Quote Originally Posted by visorvet View Post
    Based on these just these photos, #2 is the only horse I would consider.
    Thanks! I really like #2, #3, and #4...horse shopping is so stressful Why would you pass on the others?

Just curious, anyone know how negotiable these trainers are? Cover Ur Heart was only a 3k yearling, now listed at 1.5k. Would you be better off going to an auction?

Horse 3 - Avas's Rib
    Go read Jen's bio, then consider if you have more knowledge/determination/$$ or whathaveyou to dedicate to this horse ...
    I suspect this horse has an issue that is not easily identified or maybe congenital (or foal/yearling injury) & may be enough to get her excused from dressage competition.

Unfortunately as the mare is not in work doing the sort of thing that you intend, there is no way of knowing which way she will go. As a second horse or one that I could keep very economically, she's likely worth a go BUT if she's your only horse & you actually want to ride over the next year & you need to pay actual board - she may cost you quite alot over the next year & you may still not have a riding horse.

Go see as many as you can in person

The trainer for Cover Ur Heart is very negotiable. We just talked with him this week. She is a really lovely mare. She looks athletic and uphill. She walked and jogged sound.

#2 looks very nice.

I would not take a horse with soundness issues that are undetermined, even though #3 is pretty. If you have a good lameness vet and the current owners will release her records, I might have my own vet see if they have any ideas . . . but there are plenty of horses out there who don't come with known problems.

#4 is too lightly built for my tastes.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I like #2. She's lovely, and definitely has some presence. I will be the voice of dissent here and say that I also find #4 quite lovely....but I am a small person, and mesh really well with the delicate TB types. (In fact, my Fingerlakes mare from January is just the sort. ) And as we all know, the actual measurement of the bones have nothing to do with bone density....

Here are some others to consider:

3 YO 15.1 Mare - I think she's gorgeous.
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.proboard...lay&thread=495

4 YO 15.3 Filly - Looks like a powerhouse. Worth a PPE due to the potentially sore knee, but still worth a look.
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.proboard...lay&thread=492

8YO 15.3 Mare - I can only guess that her age is why she's still available from last year....the COTH boards have ooh-ed and ahh-ed over this mare ever since she hit the Fingerlakes listings, and it's terrible she hasn't found her person yet. I mean, just look at her. Classy through and through, and you can't beat the wisdom (and spook-proofness!) of the track warhorses.

Even if you're not close enough to go look at the Fingerlakes horses in person (which I totally recommend if you are!!), if you're serious about buying, get in touch with the volunteers there. They're fantastic women who really know their stuff, and just want to make sure that "their" horses get into the best new homes for them. They're horse-savvy women who will give you their honest opinion of any horse/the trainers/the vets/etc.

Good luck! I love my Fingerlakes mare; she has completely won me over to both TBs and mares! (Although I'm having to pay for shoes in the first time in nine years..ridiculous! )

Cover Ur Heart is mine, I pick her up Thursday 7/5/2012 @ 10AM and No she isn't clubby, have had tremenous success with Tom's horses. Way more impressive in person.

will keep you posted w/ photo's of her under tack and jumping loose......you know what I do so the answer is Yes she will be...........

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post

4 YO 15.3 Filly - Looks like a powerhouse. Worth a PPE due to the potentially sore knee, but still worth a look.
    Wow!! She's awesome! Totally 'my type'
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Has anyone actually looked at any of these horses IN PERSON.

Photos are just a way of sorting the horses, not actually "looking at a horse" in my opinion. Browsing is not "looking to buy". Gotta really see them in person and put your hand on the halter and look them in the eyes.

My dear Lucky was out in a field with five or six other horses. We stood out there talking, and the owner was telling about all the others, and they were hogging the attention, and he snuck around the herd, and quietly edged up to me and nudged me with his nose, as if to say, "are you here for me?" he literally picked ME and from that moment he was mine, I just knew it. I love this horse so much, I can't tell you how much he has grown on me. But I never would have known that if I hadn't gotten in the car and trucked on up there to see him.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Default New pony

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Cover Ur Heart is mine, I pick her up Thursday 7/5/2012 @ 10AM and No she isn't clubby, have had tremenous success with Tom's horses. Way more impressive in person.

will keep you posted w/ photo's of her under tack and jumping loose......you know what I do so the answer is Yes she will be...........
    Congratulations! I was just going to say that this was the only one that caught my eye. Please keep us posted on this lovely girl!

To the OP, there are tons of nice, sound OTTB's out there. Do NOT take a horse with undiagnosed soundness problems!!! I do OTTB's for resale periodically and never take one that doesn't vet clean. Didn't love any of the others, keep looking, there are so many great horses available, don't waste your time and money, there's no such thing as a free horse!!!

vdowning, are you looking for a specific size and are mares your first choice?

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Has anyone actually looked at any of these horses IN PERSON.

Photos are just a way of sorting the horses, not actually "looking at a horse" in my opinion. Browsing is not "looking to buy". Gotta really see them in person and put your hand on the halter and look them in the eyes..
    -shrug- I bought my horse just off photos. Plenty of people on these boards do. Am I an advocate of going to see the horse in person? (Particularly with TBs at the track, who aren't photographed to their highest advantage?) Absolutely.

But there's nothing wrong with buying off photos, and plenty of serious buyers do. I was willing to take the risk of not seeing the horse in person.

JBRP- Isn't she way better in person! So glad you got her! She just looks like she can jump with that conformation.

I will post video as soon as we free jump her!!! I have dealt w/ Lou many years ago and his horses all vetted SOUND and were just amazing. I needed another chestnut mare re-sale project like a hole in my head (got plenyt) but I had been oogling her for a while and with Retread getting Lucky and Lara buying Brazil and Jeanne taking a leap and shipping Solo plus one onther sold last week I had some empty nests to fill....

while yes I have sold horses to out of state buyers strictly off of photo's and video..I do provide tons of pictures from all angle and video w/t/c and jumping. But truly I do prefer to put my hands on them when ever possible..

I would give Brooky Bear a look. Are you planning to do the lower levels or more?

She does have some great sporthorse bloodlines and I like the way she's put together. I too would prefer a bit more bone but get a great vet for the PPE if everything else looks good!