The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Who besides me dislikes camping?

Ok, I was going to use the word "hates" instead of "dislikes" but my best friend hates the word "hate" so I try not to use it much.

Ok, what is the appeal? Bugs, uneven ground, creepy crawly things. Yes, I know there are "levels" of camping and if I was to try the deluxe camper vehicle with those neat pop-outs I probably would be happy. Oh yeah and have that beautiful vehicle parked at one of those deluxe campgrounds with the three heated pools and the giant playscapes for the kids and the outdoor movie theater and the pretty grassy areas all covered liberally with flying insect killer and the deluxe filet mignons cooking up on the stainless 50 burner grill on that gorgeous paver patio that would be ok I guess.

The only camping my DH will do though is the kind with the small tent and thin air matress with sleeping bag. YUCK. Bring your own firewood and cook up hotdogs (all natural at least) washed down by beer.

Oh - also, what exactly is the appeal of sitting around a campfire. I just don't get it. I am not a big drinker so no beers for me thanks. I really don't like making small talk so no socializing for me thanks. And...the smell of smoke all on me (clothes/hair) is really bothersome. I don't care how "clean" the fire is with the best wood - it STINKS. I would rather sit down with a good book and have some me time on vacation - oh - that is why I go to the Carribean!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

"I do not work year round to pretend I am homeless on vacation" I forget what comedian said it, but even though I don't work, that is my mantra. I really don't get people who camp on the beach. How do you get the sand out of your hoohah every night????

Frankly, any camping I did in my younger years involved drinking to oblivion at a field party and waking up in a tent. Not interested.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Joyrider View Post
    Ok, I was going to use the word "hates" instead of "dislikes" but my best friend hates the word "hate" so I try not to use it much.

Ok, what is the appeal? Bugs, uneven ground, creepy crawly things.
    Don't forget the absence of climate control and no showers (depending on available facilities, of course)! I'm with you--no thanks. I can enjoy the great outdoors all day long without sleeping in it.

Of course I haven't been camping since I was a kid so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But I'm pretty sure I would want there to be alcohol.

Funny that we're in the same area, but I'm not a camper either.

I camped A LOT as a child....as in two weeks in a tent sort of camping, and maybe that's what did me in. It was always RAINING and you'd wake up soggy and the tent would smell all moldy and it was gross. My mother loves camping and the tent we had was one of the nicest out there (the multi-room deals!), but it still left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a kink in my back.

It's not the no-frills living that does me in...I don't mind a sparse, electricity-free cabin, for example. But give me an adorable bed and breakfast in the countryside that brings up homemade muffins to your door in the morning ANY day of the week! When I go on vacation, I want to enjoy myself.

I can't get behind your hatred of campfires, however. I love the smell of woodsmoke, and I LOVE s'mores. I toast marshmallows in my oven in the winter, and take full advantage of my fire pit all summer long!

Camping ya, doing what I do in my home with running water, gas and electricity only cooking cleaning sleeping without a roof, running water and electricity. No thanks, noy much of a vacation for me.

My idea of camping is anything with less than three stars.

DH dragged me camping once. I woke him up at 2AM and demanded he bring me home because I was over the "experience".
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    My idea of camping is anything with less than three stars.

DH dragged me camping once. I woke him up at 2AM and demanded he bring me home because I was over the "experience".
    THIS!!!!!!!!!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I think my biggest problem with camping is that I live in BFE as it is. Seriously. I catch baby possums in my room, have large, scary spiders running around the house ... Our water is routinely cut off for maintenance since my small town hasn't updated the city water pipes since the 1940's, the power is always going out due to a storm or hurricane or a soft breeze ...

By definition, my day-to-day life is a lot like camping, so there's no way I'm doing it for fun. The only exceptions to this have been because of field parties in my youth, as mentioned above, or because there's strong liquor involved and it's a one-night only thing, because again, I'm in BFE and it's kind of hard to find a DD that does 50-mile trips.
    The dude abides ...

sorry,I'd rather camp than hang out with 3K of my closest friends on a floating toilet.

I mean a cruise ship.

I don't know... my mom's husband just posted a pic of my mom at their current campsite with the comment "Camping Circa 2012. Reading her Nook by the campfire, with a glass of wine, listening to music streaming off the iPad, while I upload this photo to Facebook via my Blackberry. That's what I call roughin' it."

I think I could get behind that kind of camping...

sorry,I'd rather camp than hang out with 3K of my closest friends on a floating toilet.

I mean a cruise ship.

I *miss* camping.
    I don't camp anymore because I have a family full of hot house flowers. Feh!

Mr Blue won't "camp" without concierge service and a suite overlooking somewhere expensive. Mr Blue thinks having dinner on the back deck with food from the grill is camping.

My daughters don't camp either...there are bugs.

I am the only camper. To me the idea of nirvana would be a summer long camping trip in some oversized national park where there are NO people around and I can ride in with gear behind saddle and stay and camp and bonfire and fish and fish to my heart's content. With the bugs.

To me anywhere that requires suitcases and airports and throngs of people and hotel rooms is torture.

Although I don't think I'd mind a ski vacation on a gorgeous snowy ice cold mountain somewhere in a log chalet. And I don;t ski...but would love the rest and relaxation and hot tub and fireplace.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Ha. When I read the title of this thread I thought: Wonder if she means tent camping? That sucks. Big time.

But RV camping (sissy camping I call it) is fun...of course with air conditioning, microwave, and king size bed I'm not REALLY sure that qualifies as camping!

Hate it. The absolute last time I went was with an Army Ranger boyfriend. We were lakeside, which the dog thoroughly enjoyed, but all I could think about was my family a few miles across the same lake on their houseboat with A/C, cable, and food that did not come out of a can. Plus I got a tick, which led to 20 minutes of hopping squealing histrionics ("GET IT OFF ME, NOW!")

We were saved after one night by red ants. BF got bitten at some point and had his very first anaphylactic reaction. So I had to get the dog out of the water and then try to get to the nearest (somewhat provincial) hospital. While BF was in the ER getting treated, I had to mostly stay out in the Jeep to run the air conditioning to make sure the dog stayed cool.

BF was fine after getting antihistamines and a prescription for an Epi-Pen. I know. . .it was kind of mean of me to be secretly pleased that this life-threatening emergency cut our camping short. We spent the rest of the weekend on the aforementioned houseboat with the family.

If it doesn't have a flush toilet, a shower, and air conditioning I'm not going.

I'm posting from my campfire. Soon, I will go inside my RV, turn on the A/C, sleep soundly, then have a nice hot shower before heading home.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I detest camping
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I love camping and being outdoors but the key to good camping is picking the right site. You can't just slap down a tent anywhere.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I love camping and being outdoors but the key to good camping is picking the right site. You can't just slap down a tent anywhere.
    I did a lot of tent camping in my younger years. That is why I now have a travel trailer. No matter how flat your site is, it can not prevent waking up with swamp ass.

I love camping. I mostly like the hiking part, the camping is just one part of a whole. I'd love to do the contiential divide trail one day, even if only in week-long intervals. Then again, I'm one of those "push-to-the-limit" people that find happiness in physical hardship, lol.

The mountains are good for my soul

I do hate camping here in S. Florida though. Its so damn hot, the scenery sucks, and the bugs are large enough to be mistaken for pterodactyls, or at least closely related to them. Also, it always smells like either a swamp, a mudflat, or fish. No thanks!