The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The Kindle Fire.

Who has a Kindle and what do you have on it such as books and apps.

I have one. If you're on facebook there are several pages that list many free or cheap books. Pixel of Ink being one - can't think of the others. Search on "kindle books".

Apps - I only have facebook, angry birds & bejeweled.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany01 View Post
    Who has a Kindle and what do you have on it such as books and apps.
    I have one and love it. I bought a solitare game and have purchased one book, but downloaded a bunch more for free and from the library. When I play the Apps, either the ones that came with the kindle or the one I bought, I try to keep it plugged into an outlet so I don't wear the battery down.

Love love love my KF. I have tons of free books, a few boughten ones, word games and some goofy ones. I have the Amazon app(love my Prime), and do all my email stuff on it. Stupid Zombies is a fun Angry Bird-esque game, with super groaning zombie sound effects and a truly satisfying splat-squish sound when you shoot the zombies and they gush....I know, childish, but nevertheless eminently satisfying.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

The absolute best app for a Fire is Overdrive, which allows you to check out e-books & audiobooks through your local library or university library. Check to make sure yours participates. Publishers usually regulate how many e-copies of a given book are available for check out so you still will have to wait for popular titles, (you can put a hold on them and you'll get an email when your copy is ready to download), but you will never run out of free books to read. If you sign up for Amazon Prime you can also check out 1 free book at a time from Amazon from their collection of eligible books. It's totally worth the $200 investment if you read a lot.

I'm enjoying my Fire. I get a lot of free books through Facebook, but be aware that many are junk. The delete function is your friend.

I love being able to check the weather without getting out of bed in the morning.

However I seriously envy Mr P's iPad
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I'm actually a little disappointed with my Fire, especially when I try to use the keyboard. I have small fingers, but find it hard to type on it without hitting neighboring keys. The other half of the time, it won't recognize my touch at all. I pretty much have to use a stylus all the time.

That said, I LOVE it for books and have taken full advantage of Overdrive. My favorite app is the NY Times Crossword (the medium version, not the Sunday!). I'm not big on games, but I have a few.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I really want to adore my Fire, but instead I just like it. I have the same problem that the poster above has...often my screen doesn't respond immediately, seems like the processor is not as fast as it should be.

The app I use the most is the Audible App, I drive a lot and listen to audiobooks...but again, I have become frustrated with it. The app doesn't seem to want to sync up totally with my online audible account and has even removed books that I downloaded from the Fire!

On the huge plus side, I love taking it with me when I travel (a lot) instead of my big laptop to check email, have web access, etc.

So...I really wish I had an iPad Which is disappointing because I'm a HUGE Amazon fan, and ADORE my regular Kindle, which I still use for reading because the backlit screen on the Fire is terrible outside and makes my head hurt reading in the dark...
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

I mostly use mine for reading, it's great for traveling, and I like that I can check email and go online with it, and that it fits in my small cross body bag.
    I don't have a problem with the keyboard but doing anything online (except for buying books!) can be tedious because everything is so small!
    I don't do "apps".
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Speaking of apps, anyone have a good calendar app for the Fire?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.