The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Loose fitting breeches?

Is there a happy medium between flared and painted on? Middle aged mommy headed back to H/Jland after years at the track, and then a brief layoff from horses all togther. I have 'outgrown' all my old breeches, the chaps zip but are scary looking. Going to have to have first ride at trainer's in khakis. Also going to show up in my Blunnies as DS shot my foot up another size, so paddock boots and field boots no longer fit.

Are there ANY breeches that aren't made to fit like second skin? I have seen some looser cut ones for men, but nothing for women
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Bradley's are a little looser, as well as Tailored Sportsmans. Maybe go up a size in non-stretch fabric and wear a belt.

It seems that Bradley's only have low rise in my sizes. Not sure me and low rise would be a pretty picture : ) On to TS

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

I think the Bradleys, while very nice, are quite tight. Maybe I'm just the wrong shape though, lol. I'm sure it depends on body-shape. I really like the RJ Classics. They have a 4-way stretch that is similar to the TS, but cheaper and they look great. They don't cling on to me at all (and I am curvy). I think these are them: http://www.rjclassics.com/dyn_prod.p...e%20Side%20Zip

I have a larger size, just so they will have a little extra room!

I am middle-aged also, and I second the RJ Classics Sterling mid-rise. I love them. Warning: they run big. I ordered a size smaller than I usually wear after reading all the reviews. They fit nicely, not skin-tight.

I hear you...the only ones I will wear are the tailored sportsman. You can get them in mid-rise or regular rise - my body was not made for low rise and I don't want skin tight breeches that make me feel like I'm wearing panty hose.

I bought a pair of FITS at a show because I somehow managed to forget my breeches (yes it is truly possible to do this). They were the only ones on the show grounds remotely close to my size and budget. Long story short they are now my favourite pair. Not low rise, not right under your ribs, not skin tight, not too loose. They are the kind with the black below the knees but I'm not sure what the style name is. They wash really well too. Next time I will go out and buy them on purpose, not just because my brain is on vacation.

Try out a pair of men's breeches. They tend to have a bit more room in them, and they have great pockets. If you're going to show, perhaps they wouldn't work...but they might.

Horse Country has some great looking ladies breeches, slightly flared with or without front pleats, I love the look, they appear very flattering. Their website is horsecountrylife.com and then you have to click on the Foxhunters Special Edition catalog on the right (says 2009) and go to page 30, they have several different styles ranging from $128 to $280. The website is a little tricky to negotiate, be patient.

Look up: Ovation Ladies Taylored Euroweave DX Side Zip Hunt Breech

They are made to be a little baggy- like TS- but a little more reasonable $wise

I'm short and curvy and find the Riding Sport side zips are nice and roomy in the hip and thigh. They're a modified low rise, so coverage is really good in back and just at the waist/belly button in front. And the price is right! They're a nice heavy cotton knit, but only come in 3 colors, and do fade quite a bit. Frankly, for as comfortable as they are, I could care less about the color fading.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

These Tuff Rider breeches are the MOST comfortable ones I own, and they feel very light-weight. I hate most breeches for feeling so tight and panty-hose like, but these are so incredibly comfortable and don't feel overly tight. They are also inexpensive! I even wear them for local shows. Their version of low-rise isn't terribly low-rise. It still offers full coverage, but sits just a bit lower than traditionally.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tuff-ri...5/#ProductTabs

Here they are on me.
    http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...nt=Oliver1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GoGrnRideIrish View Post
    Look up: Ovation Ladies Taylored Euroweave DX Side Zip Hunt Breech

They are made to be a little baggy- like TS- but a little more reasonable $wise
    I bought a pair of these after someone on COTH recommended them and I absolutely hate them! Fabric is very stiff and slippery, and the fit in the hips/thighs seems to be tight.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I have tried so many breeches and still am a fan of the TS. They are not skin tight, don't sag in the crotch and knee patches are a skin saver.

I could not ride in khakis - would rip my legs up. I am old and desire comfort.

I do NOT like the Equine Couture or the Tough Riders low rise - they are made for 15 year old girls. and are tight.... and too thin.

Another breech I like that fit good but don't hold up really well are the Grand Prix. RJ classics fall apart.

I didn't like the Ovations. The fabric is too thick and slippery for me.

I don't go with the flock but there is a reason so many people buy the TS's - they are great.
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM

Yep, the TS breeches. There are two styles you may want to try...

The regular TS are very generous thru the thigh and smaller in the waist. Note the regular rise is high waisted and the low rise is at the waist.

I like the Trophy Hunters mid rise best tho. They have a nice 4 way stretch and hold up very well. They are cut generously. The mid rise is at the waist and not above it.

Edit: the fabric on the Trophy Hunter is longer wearing, IMO.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

TS breeches are only loose fitting on people who are thin. At least that is my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    TS breeches are only loose fitting on people who are thin. At least that is my experience.
    I have a large rump and no waist at all (a bit brick shaped) and the TS's fit me very well. I am in no way thin... I order up a size sometimes too.

And for sure, it depends on your shape on what breeches fit best.
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM

I also recommend trying the FITs knee patch (jumpline) breeches. I got some recently, like them better than anything else I've had, and I was a die-hard tailored sportsman fan (still think they're great, but these fit me better). Perfect rise, and when fitted in the waist still have just enough room in the thighs to look nice. Not snug, but also not baggy.

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

I went out and bought these too:
    Ovation Ladies Taylored Euroweave DX Side Zip Hunt Breech

based on many COTH who loved them.

I got a pair on sale for 69.95 and I love them. A little baggy, i.e. not skin tight.
    Nice pockets. Good materiel similar to TS but not as heavy feeling.
    Very comfy and the materiel has more give than TS do.
    Can't wait to buy another pair!
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

You guys are awesome! Would definitely like to avoid paying $$$ now, because I am going back to VA at the end of the month and Horse Country is on my to do list. Why did flares ever go out of style? With all the threads with people knocking panty lines and fuller figures in painted on reeches, can't we bring the flares back? HC has such a nice selection of moderately flared breeches, but I want to try them on(dislcaimer: I am biased, I used to work there, really miss Christmas time at HC)

Going to suck it up and drive to the Dover today and take this list of suggestions with me. I'm long waisted, with decent birthing hips. The last time I tried breeches on, TS didn't fit at all, ended up with Rider's Choice, but the sands of time have shifted, so we will see.

Child # 2 also shot my feet up a size, so I get new boots : )Going to go with half chaps, and paddock boots for now and hit Mrs. Motion's for boots when I get back. DH is still puzzled on why I need a $600 helmet, but we will sort that out.