The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Altering a Show Jacket

I have a beautiful grand prix jacket that has been sitting in my closet way too long. The problem is that's its a full size too big all around. The sleeves are way to bulky, the waist needs to be taken in, its just all around frumpy. I put it on and instantly feel 9 again when my mom would bug me a coat a size too big so it would last longer. I plan to get the jacket altered, but im worried. The coat is brand new, and wasn't cheap, and won't be cheap to replace, so if they mess it up, ill be very upset.
    Obviously im searching for a reputable tailor, but thinking how much needs to be done (the whole jacket needs to shrink a size) is it worth it or should i just sell the coat and find a new one?

a good tailor can do a very good job, they wont "mess it up" but having been thru this, the coat does not look nearly as nice as if it started its life at the new size. if its an expensive coat and its new, just sell it and get a new one.

(if you look you will find a similar thread not that long ago...)

Thanks for the input, ill try and find that thread.

If it were just the sleeves, or the waist, or the length, I'd say get it tailored. But if it's a full size too big everywhere, sell it and get one in your right size. Tailoring is good for certain things, but you're talking about having the entire jacket taken apart into pieces and put back together again. Definitely not worth it. They would charge you at least a couple hundred dollars and it still wouldn't look right.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

A jacket can be tailored. BUT - it may not be worth it.

First off - the shoulders are likely the hardest thing to refit. If it's too big there, it will probably require recutting the coat. It may not come out well, either.

If it fits in the shoulders but not the waist or sleeves, I'd look into it. If it's really too big, I would sell and buy something that fits. It's one thing to do minor tweaks, but all the way around too big, it could easily cost more than selling it and buying a different coat.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

A good tailor can do - usually a tailor who has dealt with men's suits - and IME well done it will look every bit as good as it did originally. It is costly ... So balance that against just buying a new jacket

The shoulders are actually only a hair big, which i don't mind. I think in just going to look.into getting a different coat. Id hate to.put a lot of.money into it and hate the way it turns out then be out of luck all around.

If it happens to be a 14 or 16R (I doubt, I'm huge), I'd be glad to take it off your hands. Hahaha.

It actually is a 16, black with burgundy piping around the collar.

Anyone have experience shortening coats? I have two that need to be shortened: sleeves, but also overall length. I took it to a men's suit tailor and they looked at me like I was crazy and that there was no way to shorten the coats. Sigh.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Why.is there no way to shorten it? They shorten mens coats all the time, i can't imagine it would be hard to do?

I don't know what the issue was. They were like "the pockets have to be moved, it's will have to be rebuilt, it's too hard, blah, blah, blah" and told me to go to a alterations shop. Sigh.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I would just go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I don't know what the issue was. They were like "the pockets have to be moved, it's will have to be rebuilt, it's too hard, blah, blah, blah" and told me to go to a alterations shop. Sigh.

That's ridiculous. Take your business elsewhere. I used to have DD's coats shortened all the time. Usually the pockets did have to be sewed shut because the shortening would take off the bottom of the pocket lining, but you never use the pockets anyway so who cares? Besides, when they're sewn shut they never gap.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry