The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else have birds?

Back in March, hubby and I got Kramer, our one year old Goffin Cockatoo. Shortly after we adopted Nikkie, a seven year old Noble (Mini) Macaw. They are just so hilarious that I can't imagine being with out them!

Kramer is the cuddliest, sweetest bird. He loves to cuddle into my chest and nibble at my neck and ears. He does his little what I call the "baby squat" where he sits down and fluffs his feathers out and opens his mouth when he wants me to scratch him or hold him. It's so cute. He's even good with hubby and our son, but he definitely prefers me. He talks a little, with the most adorable little baby voice, like a toddler learning to speak - "Kramer's such a pretty bird" "good birdie, birdie, birdie" "Hi Nikkie", "Whatcha doin?" "Hello" "Hello Kramer". He's a real velcro bird, but will happily play for hours on his play stand going between his cage, the stand and then Nikkie's cage. Can you tell I love this bird?!

Nikkie is beautiful, but has a completely different personality than Kramer. He doesn't like to be held and will bite you if he doesn't want to "step up", but he loves to mimic the sounds we make and he is constantly cracking us up with his comments. For instance, the first week we got him, we were all sick with a terrible cough. So Nikkie picked it up - not the cough, but the sound. It was hysterical! And he laughs, and you'd swear it was appropriate to the situation. If we're in the other room and he's looking for attention, he'll yell out "What?" And we can go back and forth a few times.

But he's also got the worst potty mouth ever. If he's sitting near the window, he'll look out and say "where the eff are you?" And when Kramer tries to climb in his cage, he'll yell at him "What the eff?!" He'll also show us his wings when we ask him, and if he's being fresh (nipping, etc) he shows us his wings like an apology afterwards. He's such a cutie.

So who else has birds? I'd love to hear about them.

Here's a link to a youtube video of Kramer being adorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATcvMpHBX4g&feature=plcp
    Last edited by Fessy's Mom; Jul. 2, 2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added a link
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

Birds are hysterical but not for the non-committal types!

I have a Congo AG who is 17 years old- I've had her since she was 11 weeks. I'd say I have another 40 more with her, if I don't die first. She's a great talker, although not in company. She is messy, makes a lot of annoying noises (like my pager going off, that's always fun) and drives DH crazy at times, but it's all worth it.

They are messy aren't they? But I don't mind. I keep them in our sun room, so it's pretty well contained. And you're definitely right about the commitment. Kramer's probably got 40 to 50 years left, Nikkie 15 to 20. We love them though!
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

We have a 30 year old Amazon that we got are a weened imported baby. He / She love my husband even though I clean and feed him. We also have a budgie that talks better than the parrot!

First off - there's another continuing thread with this exact same topic on "The Menagerie" forum, so don't know why you'd want to start one on a forum that will be closed soon. You may want to check that thread out.

That said, we own a lovely Citron-Crested Cockatoo. Is cuddly (as most all cockatoos are) & has a decent vocabulary for a cockatoo (they're not known for huge speech capabilities). What IS nice, is that she's intelligent enough that she can connect her speech to items/situations.

I have a "grand birdie" ie he belongs to my daughter but I see him often (on weekends when she comes over) and when she goes away, I bird sit. He is a rose crowned conure, 4 years old, named Beau. He talks A LOT for a conure... He makes it known when he is angry... you can't pick him up and he will bite...and say "stop it" before we can!
    My daughter worked at a bird store for a year and knew him since he was born! He lives with a cat too!!! so they are very careful, but he can fly.
    My big 100 lb lab is afraid of him!