The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Em, I don't know you, but after years of posts, I feel like you are not on the fruit bat side of crazy. The great part is, no matter what happens, you already know you will be fine. You can get the fairytale..pregnant, married, picket fence. Or you could end up single mom on your own. You've said being a mother is your top priority. Do it! Enjoy the anticipation and excitement and remember it if things get rough and you aren't pregnant right away. Please somehow keep us posted on how it goes! No matter what, practice baby makin' is always great!

Yes. Canoeing is fabulous!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Thankfully John is very "Outdoorsy" and LOVES Canoeing.

He's really instilled a new appreciation of it for me.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Just for a flip side of the fertility stuff etc...

Mr. L.S. and I started talking about the possibility of trying when I was 39. I thought we'd have some time of trying and built that into the plan.

First time out of the gate unprotected-wise...BAM. Done.

It can happen. Shocked the heck out of us.

Good luck, Xctrygirl. It's a wild wild ride. But amazing too.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Just for a flip side of the fertility stuff etc...

Mr. L.S. and I started talking about the possibility of trying when I was 39. I thought we'd have some time of trying and built that into the plan.

First time out of the gate unprotected-wise...BAM. Done.

Good luck, Xctrygirl. It's a wild wild ride. But amazing too.
    Ditto. I was 38 and 40 for the second child, so a bit younger than you, but we basically thought about it and the deed was done. And, I had a pre-existing condition that suggested getting pregnant would be a problem.

Basically, get cracking. You may get lucky right away, you may not. But you won't know until you try.

Good luck!!!

Congrats on both fronts Em! Best of luck to you both.

Best of luck to you!

Just a slight, slight word of caution (or let's call it "enlightenment")...the older you are when you conceive the more likely you are to conceive multiples. Ask me how I know :-) But, multiples are AWESOME!!

Easy,

John has been saying that! I am sure we'd figure it out and there is some benefit to one pregnancy and getting 2 kids. But.....wow talk about scaring me more!

Must keep mantra in head, "What will be, will be"

Emily :-)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I'm so excited for you! Hope you get preggo soon and that it goes smoothly and easily.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Congrats on the plan! Think you'll make a great Mom. Always came across as decisive, knowledgeable, and the kind who would absolutely advocate for what/whom is important to you.

My mom was 39 when I was born back in the 50's!

You'll have plenty of company these days.

Hope everything goes swimmingly!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

My SIL had a baby a year ago and she's 42 (41 when she had the baby). I don't know how long they were trying, but they only got married in 2009 so it couldn't have been that long. AFAIK she had no trouble conceiving (I don't typically consider that type of topic my business) and had an easy pregnancy and birth. Baby is adorable, completely healthy, and the love of their lives.

Good luck to you!

Many Thanks to all.

I even went so far today to solidify my plan B person for Lad. Since if I get knocked up, he's going North to another COther.

She's fully on board so no worries there.

It was still surreal to be having a conversation (or 3) over the last few days and saying "If I get pregnant..."

Still very new.

~Emily

Very happy for the potential baby but very sad to hear about Lad. I had to give up an incredible horse when I got pregnant and it haunts me still.

Ohhhhhhh no. Not giving up Lad. Hell no.

Just letting a friend use him for a bit versus paying for him to sit around and get as fat as me!

I have loaned him out before and he did well and came back to me thrilled to be home.

Plus he is 12 and I have had 8 great years playing and doing everything with him. So I don't feel like I am losing out.

Plus I expect him to come back and we'll figure out what he thinks about kids. :-)

Emily

Need someone to take Petey??? (You probably won't let me have since you know the probability of never getting him back!!!).

I have nothing wise and wonderful to say since A) I am 10 years younger than you and B) like I said last night, I have ZERO desire to have children. BUT, I do want to say I love you and will think happy, healthy baby thoughts for you and hope you get knocked up quickly and easily without much fuss.

That being said, I have not met John and feel I should before your preggers!!! So, get your asses down here (or I guess I could come up!).

Congrats and good luck! Had my first at 36 (he will be 20 in September) and my second at 40. My sister tried from the age of 19 or 20 to get pregnant (fertility treatments - the whole 9 yards). Decided it wasn't going to happen on her 40th birthday - found out on her 41st birthday that it was happening (he is 14 now)! Wishing you all the best - I love being an "older" mother.

You're an eventer.
    just shut up and ride!

sorry, had to do it.
    Lots of woman have kiddos in their late 30s and early 40s.
    If you're healthy and are ready to do and then consult with your doc of choice and bombs away!

good luck!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    You're an eventer.
    just shut up and ride!

BEST. ADVICE. EVER!!!!

I had my youngest son at 36, and I found that being an "older" Mom was wonderful. The pregnancy was easy, compared to my first with my oldest son (I was 26 with him).

Good luck to the OP!
    Sheilah

I had my son at age 43. Had been living with SO for a while, he was 47. He had been in a long term relationship for 13 years and she had never conceived, had kids from a previous marriage, so he assumed problem was him. I had one fallopian tube due to an ectopic pregnancy, had pelvic adhesions, etc, so when I missed several periods, I assumed early menopause or cervical cancer.
    Made an appointment with my Gyn/Ob, thinking the worst. Call SO at work, he immediately starts in with " we can lick this thing, cancer isn't such a big deal, don't worry, let's get married tomorrow" I interrupt him to tell him I'm pregnant and I thought he'd fainted.
    THEN, we call his parents, in their mid EIGHTIES, with no grandchildren, that we have good news and bad news. Velma tells Hank to go pick up the phone in the hall so he can hear better... we tell them good news is we're getting married, bad news it's a shotgun wedding. All Hank hears is "shotgun" and starts yelling"Velma, who has a gun?" Velma figures out I'm pregnant and starts yelling "A BABY ! A BABY !' and Hank is yelling "who's gun and who's goddamn baby !" "nobody tells me anything around here !"
    Fast forward to our son's baptism at age 10 days, and as we're getting ready to walk into the church, the old buzzard turns to me and tells me " I can die a happy man now, thanks to you and this baby".
    Hank died 5 years ago, and grandma Velma is 95 and still sharp as a tack.
    Aside from getting mistaken for our son's grandparents at Field Day (he's 12), it's been great. Go For it.
    Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength