The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Strongid C Daily Wormer Colic Insurance?

Anybody use it? Likes? Dislikes?

Daily dewormers are no longer considered to be optimal due to the parasite resistance that inevitably comes with them. Colic insurance is far less expensive when purchased on its own by the owner. Deworming based on fecal egg counts is the modern way of dealing with worms. The daily dewormer is archaic and (IMO) not worth the cost of the product nor the resistance that comes along with it.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Colic insurance is far less expensive when purchased on its own by the owner.
    Really? Where are you purchasing your colic insurance? I have major med/surg on my horse for up to $10,000 and the cost is very reasonable (~ $150/yr) BUT you also have to purchase full mortality to get the major medical. Mortality is 10% of the horse's value per year. Not cheap! I've not been able to find colic or major medical available separately. Have you?

10% is insanely high, you should shop around. I pay 3.6% I insure for the minimum amount of mortality so I can buy major medical. My total premium is $340 per year.

I've never paid anywhere remotely close to 10% of a horse's value for mortality insurance. Usually the rate is 4-5%, even for an event horse. I paid a bit more percent-wise for my old event mare because she was 18 and going Prelim. But I put her value way down. Remember that the horse's value is AGREED UPON and usually you can insure a horse for much, much less than what you'd actually be able to sell it for. All of mine are insured for about $5-10K, no matter what they're "worth", because that's enough for me to set about buying a new one in the event of a tragic loss. This keeps the premiums WAY down.

(not that any of mine is worth six figures or anything, but it is quite possible to insure a horse for less than it is "worth")

It's also possible to self-insure--just put a few hundred (the cost of a modest insurance premium) in the bank once or twice a year and leave it there. After 4-5 years, you have a colic surgery paid for should the need arise.

10%? Yikes! I've never heard of anything over 4%, and 3.5-3.6% is by far the most common.

DW was correct about the DWs

Proper deworming - doing FECs a couple/few times a year, plus strategic deworming (2-3 times a year for the most part) is cheaper than any DW (the daily dewormer, not the deltawave ) or any medical insurance, AND is one of the best "insurance policies" against colics due to parasites.

I think we paid 5% mortality on my filly. She wasn't eligible for Major Medical until she hit 6 months, but that's a filly. We just got Mortality and were planning on upping our policy, but it never happened.

It makes sense that a daily wormer would build up a parasite resistence. I honestly didn't think about it like that.

Thanks!

Also at 2 ounces a day, $3/pound or $11-12/month, the cost of the Strongid itself would go a long way towards a proper major medical insurance premium.

What everyone else said about the insurance rates. The MOST I've ever paid is 5% and that was for a 17 year old horse still doing the Amateur Jumpers. You couldn't pay me to have a horse on Strongid C, but yes the insurance is good and does pay out if needed. A boarder of ours was on their program for five years--horse had two colic surgeries during that time and Pfizer paid both times. Horse hasn't coliced since we convinced her to take the horse of of the Strongid C.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.