The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite hunter pony bloodlines/breeders?

I'm starting a tentative search for a medium pony for my DD and would love to have some recommendations on bloodlines and breeders known for throwing/breeding quiet, easy, fancy hunter ponies. I'm new to the pony scene (been >25 years since I've had one!), so please enlighten me on the "old school" pony lines and also any new breeders or pony lines that are proving to be family friendly and competitive in the ring. Thanks!

(PS - this isn't a sales add; please don't post about specific ponies. I just want to know about bloodlines and breeders that throw sweet ponies that win).

For some reason I've come to adore Empires Power... Nice stallion, seems to throw nice offspring too... There is one out on the market now

I believe this is him... Don't hold me too it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFMn1...2&feature=plcp

For breeders, I would recommend Robin Greenwood in Southern Pines. The animals she breeds are all lovely and from top bloodlines. Not sure what youngstock she has at the moment but if I was in the market for a pony, that's where I'd start

well Farnley and Shenandoah Ponies are still around We have alot of ponies by Meadowbrook Special Edition that are awesome. Lots of Empire's Power youngstock out there, Blue Rain is popular. When pony finals starts next month, pay attention to the ponies in the auction and their breedings, as well as you can search the pedigrees of the ponies you like on allbreedpedigree.com.

Here is a link to the Virginia Pony Breeders Association, always fun to peruse.

http://www.vpba.com/

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Benlea ponie. Very very attractive, smart, athletic, and THE BEST children's animals you will find.

You should talk to Ruth and Johanna Wilburn at Rollingwoods. They are wonderful to deal with and have beautiful ponies with great temperaments.

www.rollingwoodsfarm.com

Rollingwoods has great ponies! We have a saintly one out at the farm I ride at in MN who is packing a 7 year old around the smalls - just precious.

You will probably get a wide range of answers based on each person's own experiences. It really depends on what your goals are and how competitive you wish to be as well. Most Welsh breeders will tell you that their ponies are smart and friendly and love attention. Personally, I breed from proven pedigrees that have been successful time and time again in the hunter ring, as that is the goal for our ponies. Most of our bloodlines can be found on the USEF Leading Hunter ponies sires list. However, we also want to breed ponies that are child-safe and good natured so that kids can handle them without the need for grooms, etc at all times. We handle our ponies extensively from the time they are born which helps to make them friendly and trusting. I firmly believe that while pedigree is very important, so is handling and training. Be sure to check out the training program and reputation of the people offering any ponies you go to try. And continue to ask a lot of questions. Good luck in your pony search!
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

A second vote for Benlea Ponies! I'm not sure if Mr Mclean is still breeding but I have two Benlea geldings a 15yr old and 3yr old and they are both great

Quote Originally Posted by Halfhalting
    I'm starting a tentative search for a medium pony for my DD and would love to have some recommendations on bloodlines and breeders known for throwing/breeding quiet, easy, fancy hunter ponies.
    Definitely look at pedigrees first.

You have had suggestions on here about stallions that have little or no performance ponies showing. Performance pedigrees are older and should have numerous offspring out there showing.

Just because ponies have won on the line in the in-hand classes doesn't make them a winner in the show ring with a child. Ponies that win with "child pros" also aren't something I'd put a lot of stock in.

Find ponies you like and then do your homework on it's pedigree and it's breeder. Good luck.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse