The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Essure?

I'm turning 31 in a couple of months and I don't see myself having kids. If DH and I decide to have kids later down the road, I'm open to adoption. I just have no desire to go through the whole childbirth process and I've become more sure the older I get So I'm just curious about more permanent forms of birth control and found information about a non-surgical option called Essure. Is there anyone out there that has done this and can share their experience? I don't do pain well, so IUDs don't sound pleasant and tubal ligation sounds downright scary

I'm also open to other suggestions too if there's something I've missed.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I had it. Not only was it extremely painful for me, only one side "took" and they had to do the regular surgery for the other side. In hindsight, I'd do the regular old "put me to sleep and get it over with" surgery in a minute.

However, 2 of my friends also had it and had no problems whatsoever. They said I was a baby.

I had a tubal ligation....not a problem!!!!!!!!!! I opted for that over the Essure as I didn't want to have the procedure and then wait 3 months to see if it "took" and then possibly have to have it done again. I just wanted it done the first time

Ugh! asb - sorry to hear that yours didn't go smoothly. I was curious what the pain level might be since I've heard IUDs can be quite painful too for some people.

vtdobes - Do they typically do that laparoscopically these days? How long before you were back in action? I did notice in the Essure info it mentioned that both sides might not "take" for some people, which would be really frustrating after having gone through the procedure and the waiting period.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

I've considered the Essure - for now, I have an IUD (Mirena) and it's great. There was some discomfort during insertion and some cramping that day, but since then I have never once regretted it! I have heard other people say they had bad experiences with IUDs, either during the initial insertion or in the days or weeks or months following. I got mine about three years ago and have had no issues.

My next step will probably be a full TL. Sadly, it's not always easy to find a doctor who will agree to do a TL, Essure, or any other "permanent" form of birth control unless the woman already has children. Makes no sense to me - I know I don't want kids, I don't think it should be up to a doctor to make that kind of decision for me.

When I do get one, I will probably throw a TL shower for myself. . .get a cupcake from my favorite bakery and buy a nice new saddle pad or something.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    Sadly, it's not always easy to find a doctor who will agree to do a TL, Essure, or any other "permanent" form of birth control unless the woman already has children. Makes no sense to me - I know I don't want kids, I don't think it should be up to a doctor to make that kind of decision for me.
    Yes I haven't yet discussed any of this with my doctor so I'm not sure what her thoughts are on this. I wanted to educate myself a bit before I decided whether to bring it up. I would like to think she'd be open minded about it, especially for someone at my age, but it definitely is unfortunate that the medical community won't always support our decisions in this arena. It would definitely be cheaper for the insurance company to pay for this than for childbirth

I had a TL at age 38, but also after I had two kids. (I love the two I have but I was CERTAIN I didn't want any more.)

Surgery was on Friday and I went back to work on Tuesday. It was done by laparoscopy in conjunction with endometriosis removal. The surgeon went through my navel so I didn't even really have a scar. Full recovery took about 4 weeks to the point I felt like I could do pretty much everything I had done beforehand.

We discussed Essure pre-op but the surgeon said a TL was a better option since he was "going to be up there anyway".

Kudos to you for knowing you don't want to birth a kid and considering adoption for down the road. There are lots of kids that need good homes and good parents.
    Alis volat propriis.

I had mine done this past December at age 38 (no kids)...the DR went through the usual "are you sure" blah blah. I had it done on a Friday and went back to work on Monday (and even went to see a Nutcracker show on the Sunday after).

They went in through the belly button and a small half inch incision that sits just below the top of my underware. I can still see the small scar...but no one else can even if I wear a bathing suit.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    Ugh! asb - sorry to hear that yours didn't go smoothly. I was curious what the pain level might be since I've heard IUDs can be quite painful too for some people.

vtdobes - Do they typically do that laparoscopically these days? How long before you were back in action? I did notice in the Essure info it mentioned that both sides might not "take" for some people, which would be really frustrating after having gone through the procedure and the waiting period.
    Im an OB/GYN. The insertion pain for an IUD has been well studied. On a pain scale of 0 to 10 (0 being no pain) the insertion averages only a 2 and it doesn't really take any longer than a pap smear.

Over the last 10 years, I've probably put in one Mirena a day and I have had VERY few patients who have not liked them. I've had no infections, and no migrations, can recall 2 that have fallen out and I can not recall any pregnancies.

FWIW vasectomies are really the way to go for a permanent solution - man up boys

I looked into them at 27 (going to be 30 this year, for reference). My OB/GYN said he would do one if I wanted because as long as he has known me, I have not wanted children.

A few things made me not get one. 1) the "may not take" risk. 2) my uncontrollable without birth control menstural cycle 3) the fact that I am pushing for a complete hysterectomy ASAP, which my Dr. said he would perform when I am closer to 40 than 30. My mom had ovarian cancer, and several other women in my family have had cysts and such. I really just want those suckers gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    Im an OB/GYN. The insertion pain for an IUD has been well studied. On a pain scale of 0 to 10 (0 being no pain) the insertion averages only a 2 and it doesn't really take any longer than a pap smear.

Over the last 10 years, I've probably put in one Mirena a day and I have had VERY few patients who have not liked them. I've had no infections, and no migrations, can recall 2 that have fallen out and I can not recall any pregnancies.

FWIW vasectomies are really the way to go for a permanent solution - man up boys
    Thanks for that info And I would much prefer that DH just go get a vasectomy. However, it took me 7 years to talk him into neutering "his" dog sooooo yeah... I don't think that's gonna happen

I am at 4 1/2 years with my Mirena. That thing hurt like an SOB going in, but I hold the idjit nurse who did it responsible for the pain level. In the next couple months, I am planning on doing Essure, but now I'm rethinking, maybe I just just do the TL so I don't have to wait 3 months to make sure it worked...

I have the Mirena, and I LOVE it. I didn't feel a thing going in, and didn't have any cramping at all. Granted, I've had 2 kids, so YMMV since you haven't had any.

I had spotting for the first few weeks, now I'm down to a very light period that comes like clockwork. Eventually the periods may cease completely.

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    I hate this!!! Why? Why do people always say this? *I* am responsible for MY body so I took charge and made sure I wouldn't have kids. Why should I tell my BF that HE has to be the one? Women should take care of themselves and not rely on anyone else. If YOU don't want kids then go through the steps to make sure YOU don't.

Pain level of 2 for Mirena? I'm not that wimpy, but that thing hurt like a biotch. I wonder if they have broken the data out by those who have had children vs. those of us that have not. I took nothing prior b/c the asshole male OBGYN said he wife said it was a breeze....after 3 kids. I nearly vomited on the nurse when he dilated my cervix. I had friends who took some magic pill and it was not that bad. Get the magic pill.

I even had horrid cramping for about 6 months after. Horrid.

Nonetheless, over the long run, I was pleased with it and kept it in for the full 5 years.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by DinkDunk View Post
    Pain level of 2 for Mirena? I'm not that wimpy, but that thing hurt like a biotch. I wonder if they have broken the data out by those who have had children vs. those of us that have not. ....I nearly vomited on the nurse when he dilated my cervix. .....I even had horrid cramping for about 6 months after. Horrid.

Nonetheless, over the long run, I was pleased with it and kept it in for the full 5 years.
    I just got the Mirena last fall and I thought it REALLY f'ing hurt going in. I have had two kids but they were both C-Sections, so my cervix never dilated on it's own- basically as if I'd never had kids.

The first few days I had really bad cramping, and then again at the first period I had with it in. Since then, it's been great.

I had considered the Essure but i wasn't quite ready to do something 100% permanent (even though I'm 99% sure I'm done having kids).
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    I hate this!!! Why? Why do people always say this? *I* am responsible for MY body so I took charge and made sure I wouldn't have kids. Why should I tell my BF that HE has to be the one? Women should take care of themselves and not rely on anyone else. If YOU don't want kids then go through the steps to make sure YOU don't.
    Chill out.

Dudleyc speaks from a MEDICAL DOCTOR'S point of view and thus is correct. FROM A MEDICAL STANDPOINT, it IS safer for a man to have a vasectomy than a woman to have a TL or an IUD inserted.
    Alis volat propriis.

I had a tubal ligation as well, and it was pretty darn painless. They did it with the scope, I can barely find my scars, and I was completely back in action in just a couple of days, as I recall. Actually, the worst part was that I had a reaction to the adhesive on the band-aids that they put on afterwards, and my skin peeled off in those spots. Really no big deal.

My doctor was completely on board with my desire to have a tubal. I only have one child, but that's enough for me. I also have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (diagnosed after my son was born), which is autosomal dominant, so any child I had would have a 50% chance if getting it. Thankfully my son doesn't appear to have it, but even if I did want more kids (I don't), I wouldn't feel right about taking that kind of chance. EDS sucks.

Many people suggest vasectomies because they're less invasive. My husband actually volunteered to have one when I told him I wanted my tubes tied. But where I definitely do not want to have more children, he's okay with having just one child. The difference is in our level of determination. No matter what happens, I don't want another child. I suspect that if we got divorced, or I died in some sort of tragic accident and DH remarried, he'd be okay with having more kids if a hypothetical new wife wanted them. He says the odds of that happening are so slim it's not worth worrying about, but I felt it just made more sense for me to do it.

And I'm so glad I had it done. I was actually having all kinds of strange bleeding for the last couple of years that I was on the pill, and they kept changing it, and giving me ultrasounds, and about a bazillion pap smears. And surprisingly, the vast majority of the weird bleeding stopped when I stopped taking the pill. Go figure.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by bluemooncowgirl View Post
    Chill out.

Dudleyc speaks from a MEDICAL DOCTOR'S point of view and thus is correct. FROM A MEDICAL STANDPOINT, it IS safer for a man to have a vasectomy than a woman to have a TL or an IUD inserted.
    Maybe if that's what Dudleyc said but it's not...I don't think "man up" is a MEDICAL TERM or something a MEDICAL DOCTOR says regularly to a patient.

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    Well, I for one would hope my husband would be willing to at least look into the option of a vasectomy, for my sake! Vasectomy's are much less invasive and can be done right in a Drs. office with no anesthesia.

I considered the Essure last year, Planned Parenthood said they'd do it (FWIW, I'll be 25 in a few days, no kids). But once I read a bit more about it, I opted not to. Too many stories of only one side taking.. no thank you!

I'm seriously considering a tubal now.. neither of us want kids, and I doubt he'll do a vasectomy. But my Dr. is hesitant because of my age..says they can sometimes grow back together (she said it in medical terms that I can't remember) when it's done on younger people. So we'll see!
    -Kady