The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Shameless bumping post: Anyone read anything lately that they love? I love this thread for suggestions, as I am always on the hunt for a new book. Even better, if it's a series.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (she wrote Seabiscuit). I didn't hink I would love it, but I did. What a story! Non fiction, but reads like a novel.

I'm now reading The calligrapher's Daughter.

I read Divergent / Insurgent, good, fast, easy reads.

I went on a Amazon.com mini rampage and bought (all used) The Blind Assassin, Through Black Spruce and The Mists of Avalon, which I read years ago in translation, and thought that would be one book my daughters might enjoy as well.

I wish this thread would stay open too! I'm a bookoholic.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Right now reading "Bloodfever" by Karen Marie Moning. It's the second book of her fever series. I love urban fantasy, especially when it has a celtic theme to it.

I just read "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers. It was a good book, I'd recommend it.

Now re-reading "Everythings Eventual" by Stephen King.

I've really been on an Agatha Christie jag, am filling the time before I get to the used bookstore and can buy a few more mysteries... Actually picked up a book from the bargain bin at the gas station (??) last week (2 for $5.98), "Best Mysteries of 2002" and that was pretty good too.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

The Girl who Fell from the Sky by Heidi Durrow is a sad but very sweet and well-written book about a biracial girl (black G.I. dad and Danish mother) growing up in Oregon in the 80's. There's a lot of tragedy in the book, yet it ends up being not at all depressing. And, though my background is nothing like the girl's, I found myself identifying with her. It's a good antidote to The Help, which I found to be a truly terrible book about race.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    It's a good antidote to The Help, which I found to be a truly terrible book about race.
    Would you mind telling me why? I am truly interested. I've heard other people say the same thing about The Help (the book, not the movie). I read it a while ago, and loved it. So I'd love to hear your arguments.

Thanks for the recommendation on The Girl who fell from the sky. I'll see if my local library has it.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

me, too, cranky. I'm always looking for a good book. Mr. Chai knows I am a huge fan of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series (why won't they make another movie??!!) so he gave me Nelson, The Sword of Albion for my birthday. It's a new biography about Admiral Horatio Nelson. His life was just incredible.

Looking for the next good read, so please keep the suggestions coming!

I'm currently reading book 2 of the Game of Thrones books. Loved book 1 and immediately started with number 2.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Jive View Post
    Right now reading "Bloodfever" by Karen Marie Moning. It's the second book of her fever series. I love urban fantasy, especially when it has a celtic theme to it.
    Me too. This one is better than Darkfever; I find myself thinking I might just have to sit down and finish it today.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Would you mind telling me why? I am truly interested. I've heard other people say the same thing about The Help (the book, not the movie). I read it a while ago, and loved it. So I'd love to hear your arguments.
    My African-American friends were embarrassed by it, and for me that made it a terrible book "about race," though not necessarily a terrible book. Also I could not identify one bit with the black characters. OTOH, I could identify with the girl in the Heidi Durrow book, a "smart" girl trying to make sense of her society and trying to fit in, though we're different races.

I want to recommend a book to you guys:

It's "The Tysen Hotel" by Donna Gormly.

I have known Donna for 35 years. This is her first novel and when she asked me to read it and write a review for Amazon, I was so afraid that I would hate it and not know what to say. But I was amazed and how good it was! Now Kirkus has reviewed it and they liked it! https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...49158315097743

It's so hard to market books these days from new authors. You guys go check it out.

BTW, this is the review I wrote:

In some ways reminiscent of Larry McMurtry's Last Picture Show, this lovely first novel by Donna Gormly is a touching glimpse back into a time we tend to think was a simpler one (1950) - though it is filled with as many warts as is our present. The novel starts out a bit slowly, but it picks up speed a couple of chapters in as you realize that you have come to care deeply about each of these well written characters and have become drawn into the small town drama of their lives. Ms. Gormly writes well, really well, creating for the reader the sense that you can smell the lilacs and hear the buzz of the cicadas as you sit in the cool of the Tysen Hotel's front porch. Refreshingly lacking in profanity and gratuitous sex, the novel relies instead on a well thought out plot and characters that live and breathe in our hearts. Anyone brought up in the South will feel they know many of the people living in Gormly's made up town of Tysen. I highly recommend this book and look forward to Ms. Gormley's next effort.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.