The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What's in your SmartPak and why?

I took my horse to his new barn today, and I need have to change up my feed. He's been on 707 Formula alfalfa pellets, liquid Red Cell, powder electrolytes, Lubrisyn, whole oats, and some sweet feed. He's on free feed grass hay 24/7 with a hay net and half a flake of alfalfa for dinner. The new barn will do the same hay, but they will only do SmartPak for suppliments. SmartPak doesn't offer 707 Formula or the same electrolytes. I need to come up with a new game plan.

My question to the group is what's in your SmartPak and why?

My question for you is: why so many supplements?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

My OTTB just came off the track end of March. He is 6, in light/moderate work right now (ridden or lunged 5 times/week lightly) and is on 24/7 turn out. I have him on SmartCombo because my vet recommended a joint supplement because he raced for so many years. It also has hoof support cuz his feet are pretty typical for a OTTB - i.e. - not good. It also contains digestive and skin support, again, because he needs to pack on some pounds and his skin is very sensitive. I will probably add Bug- Off next month because he hates flies and people at my barn have had good success with it. BTW, he gets Triple Crown Senior twice a day and has loads of grass in his field.

Well, my horse's needs are quite different than yours (Morgan, small, pretty easy keeper), but her SmartPak has:

SmartCalm (to help with the Morgan ADD tendencies
    SmartResilience (horse has a history of joint/soft tissue issues)
    Smart Pak Vitamin E (vet recommends a Vitamine E supplement for all horses who do not get much opportunity to graze)

She's also on LymeSupport, which is an herbal formulation I buy elsewhere. I normally don't do herbal stuff, but have several friends who swear by this in our Lyme-endemic area.

She gets 2 quarts/day of Vintage Performance and eats about half a (40-45 pound) bale of medium-quality grass hay per day.

I tried SmartCombo Ultra for a while to see if her coat/hooves would benefit and if she would be less gassy. It did reduce the gassiness but I didn't see any other gains, and the gassiness I can live with. Also, it has flax seed in it, which oddly enough makes her stock up overnight.
    Last edited by quietann; Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Willow's SmartPak consists of B-L Pellets and Probios.

She got kicked in the hock as a 5 year old (I think) and while she's totally sound and has perfect clean x-rays, I wanted to be proactive with her joints as I'm hoping to move up the levels with her.

She's on the Probios to keep her sensitive tummy in check.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    My question for you is: why so many supplements?
    You got me! That is what he's been on as a racehorse. He moved from the track to his new show barn yesterday. I've been his exercise rider at the track for a year and a half. He's got the best brain of any horse I've seen, and perfectly sound. I'm not going to give him any time off and am going out today to ride in the arena for the first time, even though he galloped at the track yesterday. We'll see how it goes!

You still didn't answer my question
    Since he will no longer be doing what he did while on that supplement regimen, I would start over & reevaluate once he is settled in. (i.e. go back to just forage & see how he does. Give his brain & body time to come down from racing and THEN decide what he might need for supplements...if any!)

I'm a believer in "keep it simple" - don't get me wrong, I've had horses on supplements before. But I am a minimalist and believe that a healthy horse starts with the basics...good quality grass or hay, and if that doesn't provide the vitamins & minerals they need, supplement those.

I've had my ulcery mare on NeighLox, and still use it in certain situations today. I've also fed Triple Crown senior and Alfalfa cubes when she lost weight because of the ulcers. Once she was back to "normal" the supplements and concentrates stopped.

I'm sure when she gets older I'll need to provide additional calories through concentrates, but if it's not broke...

I don't currently have a horse but when I did (He was an OTTB, I had him from age 3 until he was 6) I had him on TractGuard. I did have him on Uckele's GUT for awhile but SmartPak stopped carrying that I believe. The thing that was the most important for me was maintaining good digestive health because at this particular barn the grazing wasn't all that great and he didn't always have hay in front of him. He had also had an upset stomach a time or two in the past and the vet said that a supplement for digestive support wouldn't be a bad idea. I think I also used Cool Calories at one point because he tended toward being a hard keeper. He was a young TB in heavy work though so I understood that he would need a decent amount of calories.

As far as oral joint supplements go, I don't know if I believe that they work. I did have him on MSM for a bit even though he had no issues at the time. It's cheap enough.

Electrolytes aren't a bad idea especially in this hot weather. But basically my SmartPak was a digestive supplement, electrolytes (if the digestive supplement didn't have those already in it) and MSM (anti inflammatory).

I'm not hugely into calming or joint supplements but people claim they have had success. I try to stay pretty basic unless the horse needs to be on something for a medical condition.

My horses do get quite a few supplements it seems like, but all have solid reasoning behind them.
    6 y/o gelding in fairly hard work -
    SmartFlex Maintenance, vet recommended he be on a joint supplement
    SmartDigest Ultra, has extensive history of stomach and intestinal ulcers
    Gleam & Gain Supreme 60, historically has been a very hard keeper and I've seen improvement w/ this
    Mare Magic, to theoretically take the edge off

15 y/o gelding in light-moderate work -
    SmartFlex Senior, for obvious reasons
    Gleam & Gain Supreme 60, as he tends to be a hard keeper
    Mare Magic, to theoretically take the edge off.

Aside from SmartPaks, both are on SandClear and Adequan as well. The younger gelding doesn't really need Adequan, but our vet strongly suggests it as a preventative measure.

VERY sensitive, ulcer prone TB:

SmartTendon - put him on it when he pulled a suspensory; have been afraid to take him off of it.

SmartGut - because of the ulcer-proneness. Has helped a lot (after initial 30-day treatment with fulled tude a day of UlcerGard).

SmartCalm - for the magnesium due to muscle tightness. It actually doesn't make him calmer at all. I'm considering switching to a different magnesium supplement, but why mess with what works?

SmartVites - because he does not get enough grain to meet his dietary needs (particularly vit. E and selenium).

He is also on Equithrive (not in SmartPaks) to address stifle issues.

Sigh. It's a lot. I know it's a lot. I wish it was less, but every time I take him off of one of these things, we have issues (with the exception of SmartTendon, which I have never been brave enough to take him off of!)

My guys are on zero supplements, because I don't think supplements actually work worth the money they cost.

If they aren't drinking enough I put a tablespoon of table salt in the feed.

If they have a joint problem I get it injected directly rather than hoping a feed through will work.

I give Grand Hoof with MSM - that is my whole smartpak.

Besides that, pasture, grass hay, alfalfa pellets, salt and oil.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

My old guy is on supplements.

SmartFlex Senior (obvious)
    Farrier's formula (he has crappy hooves)
    Vit E/Magnesium/selenium
    Smart Dark & Handsome (just trying it to see if it helps sun bleaching)

I am a do it yourselfer as my horses are at home. I give the following:
    -ground flax seed
    -farrier's formula double strength
    -equitrol feed thru fly control
    -quiessence (to just my flighty mare)

My 13 year old show horse:
    -Cosequin ASU
    -MSM
    both to help with a bit of stiffness he has gotten as he gets older.

My 4 year old recently purchased OTTB
    -Cosequin ASU
    -MSM
    -Uguard
    -Mirra Coat
    Cosequin ASU and MSM are for support, as x-rays have shown the beginnings of arthritis.
    Uguard is for ulcer prevention (she was treated for ulcers when she was purchased off the track.)
    Mirra coat (she had a poor quality coat when I first purchased her.)
    ~Jet Lag~
    ~Willie Cruise~
    ~Hot Tea~
    ~Calypso Bob~

SmartVite Performance Grass Pellets (horse doesn't get RDA of grain, so supplementation of vitamins/minerals is necessary)

Smartflex III pellets (15 y/o FEI dressage horse, needs all the help he can get)

Smarthoof Ultra Pellets (crappy feet)

15 Y/O Appendix gelding eventing at Novice:
    U-gard (at the suggestion of the vet)
    One AC (he's got anhydrosis)
    SmartLyte pellets for electrolytes
    Smart Omega 3 for his coat
    Tri-Amino for muscle building.. and I have noticed a difference in his topline since starting him on this. Even the vet/chiro commented on how good he looks (of course this was before he went through a major rain rot episode lol).

He only gets the One AC and the electrolytes from about the end of April through September. Discussed joint stuff with our vet/chiro and she doesn't really believe the orals are worth it so we're doing 5cc Glucosamine IM every 10 days.

I used to have the crazy lists...but have become more pragmatic - mine do not show or work hard at all:

I have 6 horses, 3 are on nothing. 2 are on APF (and can't be without, the stuff is amazing for allergies) and one is on cosequin. That's it!

My guy is currently getting (although not all from SmartPak - either because they don't carry it or I can pick it cheaper locally):

VitaFlex
    Tri-Amino (just starting this)

Cocosoya Oil
    BugLyte
    1 tbsp of salt

all mixed into soaked shredded beet pulp
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy