The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Gotta respectfully disagree.

At least in the PA and DE Dover stores they don't price label sale prices on each tag, they just put signage up in the general vicinity of the items. I worked retail for 6 years at stores that actually tagged sale prices (GAP and Banana Republic) it's not that labor intensive and you do it during downtime. Putting up signage takes all of 5-10 minutes, max.

And given that the SAME ITEMS ARE ALWAYS, ALWAYS ON "SALE" it doesn't seem like a waste of time to me

But it's not signing the sale stuff that bugs me. It's that the sale prices NEVER RING UP in the register. The register ought to be coded with the current selling price for items, with a computer update when things change. That is how EVERY RETAILER does it. Instead the computer is coded with store prices and the salesperson had to KNOW an item is on sale and then key in a different code to get the sale price. Which means the salesperson has to memorize the sale catalog. And be paying attention and not just scanning. The computer system is, IMHO, completely antiquated and not acceptable for a large publicly-traded retailer like Dover. They need a serious website and computer/register overhaul and they're long overdue.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have an apartment minutes away from the new Warrington PA location. I kid you not.. I drive down that busy street daily when I'm in the area and hadn't noticed it till the grand opening with a vertical right out in front. Regardless, the manager seemed lovely and the store was fashioned exactly to the others I have shopped at. The location is perfect.

I hope they do well but there are reputable tack shops in the area already and one other local store that opened maybe three months earlier then the new Dover shop . I think I can forsee some price distributions happening in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by REH View Post
    it's surprising to read some of the comments on here.
    Then you clearly have avoided all other threads on here about Dover.

Their lack of equal/fair pricing is well discussed.
    What other retailer puts things on sale but makes you have the extra special code to find that out if you are ordering online?

If an item is on sale, it should be on sale. Not only on sale for the person who happens to have the time time to look thru every page of every flier to find the lowest price for that item and key in that item code.

This is the thing about Dover that bothers me the most, more than their crazy shipping prices.

In the same catalog the same item can have more than one price even.

The service from Dover does not even slightly compare to the service at LL Bean!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

This is the thing about Dover that bothers me the most, more than their crazy shipping prices.
    That's one reason I rarely buy anything from Dover.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Dover confirmed on Their Facebook page that they are, indeed, opening in Raleigh!!!!

Oh Cool!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REH View Post
    If there is an item that isn't in the store that is carried in the catalog and still available, if you order it from the store, they will waive shipping charges.
    Not true. They tell you that the catalog/website and retail stores are separate businesses, so you either have to pay for shipping or trek back to the store when your item comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by fine*and*dandy View Post
    Not true. They tell you that the catalog/website and retail stores are separate businesses, so you either have to pay for shipping or trek back to the store when your item comes in.
    Wait, what? The catalog and the stores are considered separate "businesses".

BUT if you are in a store and they do not have an item but it is in stock in the warehouse, they will order it for you and waive shipping. If its something that's not in stock or there's only a couple (i.e. Closeout items) you have to call the catalog (and pay shipping) because there is a delay in the computer system through the store and you cannot be guaranteed the item.

If you order something through the store and they ship it to you house (for free) you can return it to the store if you need to. If you order through the catalog you can return it to the store for credit but because its technically a separate company from the catalog they have to send it back there for processing if you want it back on your credit card.

They charge you either way for express shipping though.

(I hate retail, lol)
    i should have been a pair of ragged claws,
    scuttling across the floors of silent seas

I've ordered things while at the store several times, and was told I would have to pay shipping to my house or return to the store to pick it up. Every time.

Daaaaamn. I've always had free ground shipping. Don't want to go to your store :/
    i should have been a pair of ragged claws,
    scuttling across the floors of silent seas

I've ordered things while at the store several times, and was told I would have to pay shipping to my house or return to the store to pick it up. Every time.
    I have NEVER been told this at ANY Dover!?!?
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    Dover confirmed on Their Facebook page that they are, indeed, opening in Raleigh!!!!
    Yay!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I've never been told this - if they were missing a size or something wasn't in stock, they just shipped it to my house for free.

That being said - I think it depends. I find the fact that I have to have memorized what's on sale in the catalog ahead of time to be pretty frustrating, then it's annoying if I missed the fact that it was on sale. I don't want to have to keep calling a store to get the correct price - it would make things much easier if it was just consistent. I don't get what's hard about that.

I've gotten both kinds of customer service at Dover. Some of it has really been excellent - especially at the Chantilly store and online. On the other hand, when I went to try to buy a saddle from the Crofton store, I could not have been treated more dismissively. Since I was actively trying to spend several thousand dollars, if we couldn't manage at least basic good manners, it would have been nice if that staffer had at least WILLINGLY looked things up for me. BTW, the store was dead empty at the time.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Alis volat propriis.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    But it's not signing the sale stuff that bugs me. It's that the sale prices NEVER RING UP in the register.
    This statement is untrue. When the item number and sale code are entered correctly by the cashier, the sale price will be reflected on the in-store system. Sure, once in a while a mistake gets made---happened to me at Target not too long ago

This poster is misinformed. Here's the straight scoop: when you order an item in a Dover store, it is shipped to you at your home at no charge unless you request that it be shipped to the store.

Marley, I think you are missing the fact that people have experienced these issues. They might not be true when you are working at your store.

When the item number and sale code are entered correctly by the cashier, the sale price will be reflected on the in-store system.
    So... you are saying that the cashier has to punch in a code though, right?
    If the saddle is on sale it does not ring up at the sale price if the upc is just scanned, you have to punch in a separate sale code, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    This statement is untrue. When the item number and sale code are entered correctly by the cashier, the sale price will be reflected on the in-store system. Sure, once in a while a mistake gets made---happened to me at Target not too long ago
    GAP/Banana Republic

-Corporate decides item X is on sale for $Y
    -A computer program downloads the night before the sale starts. It associates the style number on X with price $Y. So no matter whether the right sale price is on a sign or the tag, item X will always ring up at Price $Y at every Banana Republic in the U.S.
    -The next morning, the salespeople are supposed to learn the sale price and put a $Y sticker on all the tags for item X. But even if they don't or your salesperson doesn't happen to know X is on sale, it will ring up at the sale price automatically.

THAT'S HOW IT OUGHT TO WORK

Dover
    -Corporate decides item X is on sale for $Y
    -They advertise as such in 100 glossy catalogs sent to every customer
    -There is no automatic association of item X's style number with the sale price. To the contrary, that style number continues to be associated with the regular price
    -The cashier has to...
    1. Study and memorize the sale items
    2. Realize, during rining, that the item is a sale item when presented by the customer
    3. Look in the catalog to find the correct code
    4. Properly enter the code
    5. (and this I assume because I have never run at Dover but I always see them staring at the screen and doing math in their heads) pick the correct price from among a list of different prices the item sells for
    -If there is any failure along the way. If the cashier didn't memorize the catalog, if she did memorize the catalog but didn't enter the code-- you don't get the sale price.

And this is not a hypothetical. I shop at Dover probably once a month or every two months. Sometimes online. Usually in the DE store but 2 weeks ago I went to the new PA store. I've also shopped at the one in NJ. Been a regular shopper like this for many years. I have never. NEVER. NOT ONE TIME. Had a transaction where I didn't need to say anything and automatically got the sale price for every item. EVERY SINGLE TIME a cashier picked up a sale item in my order and just scanned it without doing all the manual labor to identify it as a sale item... causing it to ring up for too much. This happen EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

The best was during the tent sale in DE-- I was rung up by the STORE MANAGER. I bought ONLY TENT SALE ITEMS. EVERY TENT SALE ITEM HAD A SPECIAL PRICE. She just picked up the items and scan, scan, scan... she didn't catch the sale price on ANY item. I had to go stand in line AGAIN to get her to do a return/adjustment and she seemed annoyed with ME that I had the audacity to expect Dover to honor their own sale prices during... a SALE.

Your computer system BLOWS. It's absurd. Call, I dunno, every other major retailer in the U.S. and find out what they have. And try using THAT instead.
    ~Veronica

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    This poster is misinformed. Here's the straight scoop: when you order an item in a Dover store, it is shipped to you at your home at no charge unless you request that it be shipped to the store.
    No, I am not misinformed. This has been my experience at my local Dover store. Perhaps the store employees should receive better training regarding company policy.

1 members found this post helpful.

No, I am not misinformed. This has been my experience at my local Dover store. Perhaps the store employees should receive better training regarding company policy.

Out of curiosity, when you had this happen, what kinds of things were you ordering? Items IN the catalog? Or something not in the catalog but they said they could get for you.
    ~Veronica