The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Vacuum for Animal Hair?

I am tired of buying "cheap" vacuums that don't do the job,and most of them seem to be designed for carpet only. I have hardwood floors throughout my house, three large dogs..one of which is a german shepherd, so LOTS of dog hair, five cats, kids and the inevitable stuff that gets tracked in with horses and chickens at home. I need something that will do a good job on the hardwood picking up the dust & hair, it would be great if I could use it on the couch as well. Any one have any recommendations.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Kenmore Elite Intuition canister vac. Hands down.

I'm a clean freak around the house and I've always had double coated majr shedding machines. I've tried most vacs when my last Kenmore died, then went back to another Kenmore. (Dyson, Hoover, Electrolux, etc)

They last about 10 years for me...probably longer for people who don't vacuum every day or twice a day. And who don't use them outside on their farm truck sucking up screws, baling twine, etc.

It has the upholstery attachment that's actually individually powered and not spinning from just air suction...which is useless with real pet hair. I can go through a room and vacuum ceiling cobwebs, registers, furniture, carpeted stairs, floors, picture frames, even the drapes and the dog in a few minutes. Makes my life so much easier.

Runs about $400-$500 depending on sale or not.
    http://www.sears.com/kenmore-intuiti...4&blockType=G4

I don't bother with uprights anymore...they're only half as effective as a canister.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I asked this Q about a year ago and bought based on everyone"s advice, and I'm happy! have 5 dogs, all colors, long and short hair, and 1 cat. I have both a Shark Navigator and a Dyson Animal. Both are good. The Shark was $199- ($20 more for the Pro attachment pkg., though I wouldn't again since I havent touched it in a year) and I got the brand-new Dyson for $425 on Ebay. I raher like the Shark more-its lighter and is slightly more user-friendly. Dyson is on 1st floor and Shark on 2nd. Old Oreck in basement. I panic at the thought of being vacuumless.
    Both vacs are good on hardwood, and do a great job on my Orientals. Both have a brushless feature for rugless areas. Both get massive amts of hair out, and I love not having a smelly vacuum bag to stink up my closet.
    Plus, lately I got a "20% off 1 item" coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond, which sells both brands, so if you got one of those, the Shark is a great deal.

If you search for vacuum cleaners, you'll see the great answers.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Kirby. By far the best vacuum I ever owned. Not cheap, but I have central vac and I still use the thing.

Only downside is you have to go through their whole sales demo, but be prepared to be amazed.

my next vacuum will be a 5 gallon shop vac. I go through vacuums like nobody's business and am tired of replacing them.

I love my Dyson, but it is, in my opinion, a bit too heavy. It does get up the hair amazingly. I have lots of dogs, cats, a farm etc. I require a vacum that really works.

Dyson Animal for me. I've had Kirby's, Hoovers, and a bunch of others but so far the Dyson has outperformed them all. Kirby was very heavy but I bought it in the 70's. I'm sure they've replaced a lot of metal with plastic.

I'd like to get another Dyson as I have a Hoover in my lower level with only 2 rooms to be vacuumed there as compared to the upper level with everything. Kitchen has a long runners throughout because I hate hard floors and bathroom the same with long runners over the tile.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Dyson Animal for me. I've had Kirby's, Hoovers, and a bunch of others but so far the Dyson has outperformed them all. Kirby was very heavy but I bought it in the 70's. I'm sure they've replaced a lot of metal with plastic.

I'd like to get another Dyson as I have a Hoover in my lower level with only 2 rooms to be vacuumed there as compared to the upper level with everything. Kitchen has a long runners throughout because I hate hard floors and bathroom the same with long runners over the tile.
    Sadly, the Kirby is still a bit heavy, but the functional design is amazing. I still haul it up and down the stairs even though I don't have to with the central vac. It's amazing what it picks up that other vacs don't.

Dyson Animal here.. ours is on the ball. We recently went from having mostly carpet to now only having carpet in the bedrooms, but I love this vacuum. We actually tested it when we got it home. We went over the living room (pre-carpet removal) with the old vac and then again with the Dyson and it was disturbing how much more the Dyson picked up!
    I will say it is a bit heavy, but we're a single story house so no issues with carrying it up stairs or anything.

Dyson Animal - bought it in 2004, still going strong!

Prior to the Dyson I was going through a vacuum a year or so. I used to live in a one bedroom apt with wall to wall deep pile carpet, and two dogs (Rottie and shep/ collie X) and 3 cats (one was a coon). I used to cry because vacuuming sucked so bad. Then I got the Dyson---and it was HEAVEN! For years I would sing a happy vacuum song while using it because it worked so good!! (and I'm being totally serious btw )

Now I have area rugs over hardwood, and still love the Dyson. I usually sweep the hardwood though.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Dyson Animal - bought it in 2004, still going strong!

Prior to the Dyson I was going through a vacuum a year or so. I used to live in a one bedroom apt with wall to wall deep pile carpet, and two dogs (Rottie and shep/ collie X) and 3 cats (one was a coon). I used to cry because vacuuming sucked so bad. Then I got the Dyson---and it was HEAVEN! For years I would sing a happy vacuum song while using it because it worked so good!! (and I'm being totally serious btw )

Now I have area rugs over hardwood, and still love the Dyson. I usually sweep the hardwood though.
    I run my Dyson Animal over tile, and laminate and even concrete in the garage.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Dyson Animal!!! I am hard on vacuums and ours is holding up well! Plus I love the satisfaction of dumping the canister to see how much junk I vacuumed up. My husband thinks its so cool we occassionally fight over who gets to vacuum!

I'm always surprised at all the suggestions of the Dyson Animal. That was the last "new" type I tried a couple years ago before returning it and buying the new Kenmore.
    It wasn't overly user-friendly, attachments sucked (well, didn;t suck) and after I used it on my living room carpet, I was able to suck a whole bunch more debris from the carpet with my old Kenmore.

Kirbys are great, but they do weigh a ton. Electrolux works decently, but phew are they expensive. I just can't justify $1000 on a vacuum.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte