The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddles on an Unlimited Budget

Let's just dream for a moment, shall we? Let's say each of us has an unlimited budget, and the dream saddle will fit your horse beautifully no matter what. What brand of saddle would you get? Color, style, etc? Pictures most welcome!

I haven't ridden since my Pony Club days (well, some lessons here and there), so I just rode in an all-purpose saddle that likely didn't fit my poor guy.

So, everyone, YOU JUST WON THE LOTTERY! Let me know your dream tack....

Black Country Saddles -- Maelstrom model -- Buffalo leather in either brown or oxblood, with reverse doe seat and pads. (And I'd probably get smaller blocks put on.)

This saddle:
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X.../maelstrom.JPG

With this coloring (Brown with reverse pads/seat)
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-v..._4487996_n.jpg

Or this coloring (Oxblood with same reverse)
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-q...40/oxblood.JPG

I'm not even sure if I can get oxblood in buffalo leather, but the brown is nice.

Alright. Time to go cry now ...
    The dude abides ...

I have a flat seat Richard Castelow that I would have made again a million times over. I bought it slightly used, but it's perfect. Can't say enough great things about the position it puts me in.

My same $2500 Albions, plus the Black Country monoflaps in both hunt and dressage models.

A County Innovation in the dark chocolate color. Perfectly fitted, of course, to horse and self.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

County seems to be a big favorite from what I've read on these boards. I really like the last saddle Opus 1 referenced, too. I just see so many threads about saddles, and I wonder how badly I fit my saddle to my horse. Poor thing. Loved my saddle, loved my horse, but not sure if they actually were a fit.

Ok I'm going to break the chain. I would have to say a CWD SE02 semi-deep seat with a 3L slightly long flap and pro panels. I will own this saddle...it just be a year or so until that happens.

CWD 2G. They are amazing! Kept me right in the saddle on my horse that always jumped so huge he'd jump me lose constantly, and my other horse jumped WAY better with it. Super saddle.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

I would get a master saddler to make a new saddle exactly like my old Crosby Prix Des Nations but with a wider channel and slightly wider tree to fit my horse better.

Closest I have found so far is the Beval LTD 2, which is what I ride in now.

Seems to me that I used to ride in an ancient Crosby, but I'd have to check with Mom on that. It probably was a lower caliber saddle (not not as bad as my sister's!). Within a year or so, I hope to be able to afford nice tack and at least lease a horse....ah, to dream!

I am _very_ happy with my saddle from Superior Saddlery (http://www.superiorsaddlery.com/Supe...lery/Home.html) - Paul builds them from the tree up, and they're fully customizable. Even though the current website seems to only show the dressage ones, he built a jumping saddle for me, so I expect he'd do it for any one (mine wasn't the first).

Fits the horse perfectly, and me, as well!

I would combine the Wise with the Coffin, ask for flat seat with no rolls or blocks, calfskin... I really like the idea of nothing touching my dented cocyxx (as in the Wise) and the very interesting new tree design by the Coffin!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I would have my old Hermes Steinkraus reincarnated with a slightly wider twist, and I would keep my current Butet (which has the FB2 tree.) Love them both.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

After my whole saddle saga and love-hate relationship with Devoucoux, they ended up changing my area rep to a really good one (Vincent) and their customer service issues seem to have improved dramatically (they gave me free stirrup leathers since I had trouble getting in touch with the previous rep when I had wanted to order a saddle and he wouldn't get up with me). Several other people have ordered saddles from our barn too with no issues since then. yay!

Anyways, I love this saddle I ordered and it's not cheap---it's made with buffalo leather which has a very "sticky" feel and is super soft. It's a Biarritz model with a 2A flap (slightly forward). I got it the day of a horse show and was able to show in it the very next day. Pretty awesome!

http://i50.tinypic.com/ygpkk.jpg Don't mind the cats....LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

The actual top French saddle (not yet available in the US)
    Selected by Eric Navet, Pius Schwizer, Philippe Rozier, to name a few.
    www.meyerselles.com
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

I just bought my dream saddle....County Conquest/Dark Brown/Elephant. LOVE IT!!!

I will gladly accept any type of Hermes saddle and adjust my discipline accordingly, but it would be pretty cool to have the following and ride around like She-ra.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/312304.html

I bought an Antares and its a nicer saddle than I could have ever imagined owning.

But if money were no object I would do the fully custom like Paw did.