The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New puppy; what do I need to know?

Hi everyone! I (potentially) have a new puppy coming home in 6 or 7 weeks. I have a deposit on a female breeding/show Australian Shepherd puppy from a litter that was just whelped.

I already have 2 Aussies, but they are almost 8 and 9 years of age. I haven't done the puppy thing for a long time and I could use a refresher.

I've got the crate out, and just ordered a puppy size collar (and adorable matching leash). The plan is for her to be my foundation bitch so she will be showing in the conformation ring and hopefully doing some dock diving and agility as well.

So.... what do I need to remember? What have I probably forgotten?
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Pet insurance When they are puppies its fairly cheap.

My next recommendation - a non tippable waterbowl! (or lots of towels!)

Cant wait to see pictures!!

It's funny how quickly it'll come back to you! With her type of coat, practice mini grooming sessions often and make it really pleasant for everyone involved ;-) handle her paws a ton! That's what I wish I could have done for our youngest dog, who we got at 9 months old, when she already had horrible mats and hadn't seen a pair of clippers or a brush!

Look around for anything at puppy height that you may care about.... put it somewhere else ;-) have a variety of chew toys available when she starts teething, so you can suggest a similar, appropriate alternative (no carpet, Yes rope toy! No bed, Yes stuffed animal. No table leg, yes hard bone.... please, lol)

and of course.... pictures!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

socialize, socialize, socialize. With the shy ones it is easier to remember but the bold puppies can quickly backslide if they don't get out enough.

For a performance/conformation prospect I would also do a lot of dog socialization, traveling to new places, crating new places, car manners, etc.

Work with the nail trimmer/dremel and blow dryer early to prevent stress later.

Start working on stacking from day one as well as checking teeth, ears, and rear end. Have "strangers" do this as well.

Teaching verbal commands for urinating and defecating is a huge help at show grounds.

Can't wait to see pictures!

For an agility prospect start tug work early. My schnauzer started tugging at 14 weeks and since he turned out to be unmotivated by food the tugging has been a godsend. I think it is the best thing to build drive and energy without putting stress on baby joints.

I have a 3 month old Aussie puppy, and I can relate to your post so much. It's been 14 years since I've had a puppy, having lost my beloved springer spaniel last fall at age 13.

Puppies are hilarious. The energy level in my home has sky-rocketed. I laugh all day at her antics. Puppy proofing is essential, as is a sense of humor. Remember they're just babies, and practice patience.

My aussie is amazingly smart, and sensitive, too. She was potty trained in three days, sleeps through the night, plays hard and sleeps harder with lots of dreams full of yelps and leg movement.

The first two weeks with her home were literally all puppy, all the time. Just figure you'll dedicate yourself to getting her on a schedule and giving her lots of positive reinforcement.

Oh, one funny thing...I've tried to no avail to get her to "sit" on cue. When I would say sit she'd skulk off under a chair. What the heck? I called the breeder and she laughed and told me her husband would get mad at the puppy when she'd potty in their house and call her a little sh*t...so I'd need to tell her to "hup" when I wanted her to sit so she wouldn't think she was in trouble. I tried it and it worked. Makes me laugh every time.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    Oh, one funny thing...I've tried to no avail to get her to "sit" on cue. When I would say sit she'd skulk off under a chair. What the heck? I called the breeder and she laughed and told me her husband would get mad at the puppy when she'd potty in their house and call her a little sh*t...so I'd need to tell her to "hup" when I wanted her to sit so she wouldn't think she was in trouble. I tried it and it worked. Makes me laugh every time.

That's actually really sad. Why was he yelling at the pup so much and scaring it so it still hides when it hears a similar word?

What kind of "breeder" allows someone to yell at a puppy for having an accident. I find it even more disgusting that she laughed about her puppy being fearful as a result of her husband's inappropriate behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    What kind of "breeder" allows someone to yell at a puppy for having an accident. I find it even more disgusting that she laughed about her puppy being fearful as a result of her husband's inappropriate behavior.
    Agreed. I don't find it funny and I probably wouldn't take a puppy from a breeder like that. I looked for quite a while to find a breeder that I liked and that I liked their stock. I wanted something very specific, and I think I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get it with her.

Any other advice?
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

We had a puppy corral in the living room and it was great. It only lasted a few months before he could figure out how to jump out, but it was awesome to be able to put him in there and be able to cook dinner, clean house, read a book, without having to wonder where the heck he went to. It had all his favorite toys, a bed, and a vinyl tablecloth to protect the floor just in case of accidents......he loved it and we loved it.

Yes, it's not wonderful decor for the living room, but then again, I don't really care what other people think of my house.

Put together a puppy first aid kit - keep you flea/tick and heartworm meds in there, but also have styptic powder, bandages, tape, ipecac syrup, tweezers, tick remover, eye wash....we keep ours in a fishing tackle box. Easy to find what you need if you need it (e.g. so when dog cuts ear on wild rosebush he doesn't drips blood all over your house while you find tape and bandages!)

If you are lucky enough to have a vehicle that will easily accommodate a travel crate - get an extra crate for your vehicle and take the puppy lots of places. Having the crate always in the vehicle and ready to go makes it easy, and take your puppy to fun places (not just to the vet). My dogs love, love, love their crates in my van. It means they are going somewhere! And they ride so well, for hours and hours if necessary.

Get a grooming table and start practicing being on the table. Just standing on it and getting treats and pets. Then do some nail grinding, lots of treats. Always quit before they want to be done. Having a dog (especially a show dog) that is easy to groom on the table makes life easier.

And also bathe frequently....just for practice. I use a slip free mat in my bathtub. Not a lot of soaping, just rinsing hug in the towel and get some treats! Too many people I know never bathe their dogs (or do it once a summer with the garden hose) because their dogs won't stand for bathing.

Take many more pictures than you think are necessary....I can't believe how quickly my little puppy turned into a dog.

ETA: reminding myself you already have two dogs...so you probably know all this already. But...puppy corral, crate and table training....definitely top my list!