The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

snyder, your most recent update sounds like a beginners post. That is where I came to that conclusion: hopping on a brand new horse bareback without having done ground work, from a fence, without tack that fits, without something basic like fly spray, knowing she had a mystery lameness - sorry, it just screams absolute novice to me (we all have our theories about what a beginner is). Also, the questions you asked about her stocking up led me to believe you didn't actually know what that was even though that's Horse Health 101 information.
    I'm not out to hurt you - I just feel based on your posts that you are way over your head. And I hope you get the mare vetted before you attempt to ride her again. Remember, there is no such thing as a free horse.

ETA: letting daughter get on new horse with mystery issues after 2 red flags flashed at you has me scratching my head too .
    Last edited by hundredacres; Aug. 1, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Haul the horse to the vet for a thorough exam and so they can take x-rays and ultrasound if needed, and buy a saddle that fits correctly. Then look at buying corrective pads, imho.

I also couldn't believe you got on a strange "free" horse without a saddle! You are much braver than I, that is for sure.

I have no idea who the previous owners are, but I pretty much assume the truth is the opposite of what I am told when it is a horse that is not in work and/or free. There has to be a pretty big issue if she is as nice as everyone says (I haven't seen the pics). Wether it is due to injury or something else, I would be very careful riding her. Call me cynical.

Good luck and please be safe.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

snydere, I say this as gently as I can and with kindness--between the spelling mistakes in your posts and the basic questions you are asking, you are not presenting yourself in a manner that will lead others to believe you know what you're doing. Perhaps you're just not great at the whole online thing--I know several people who are far different (in a good way) in real life than they are online--but unless you adjust, you will have people here very concerned for this horse. Perhaps this is just not the forum for you, as we have a large, vocal population of people who may or may not take your posts in the way you mean them to be taken.

Based on your posts, I myself wonder if you have the skills necessary to see a subtle lameness, and I'm curious to hear what the vet has to say. Please remember that all we know of you is what you post here. You are not presenting yourself as someone with experience.

While I admit that I was somewhat surprised that you would get on her before a vet visit, snydere, it sounds like we were told seemingly diverging stories for some reason regarding her lameness, or at least came to different conclusions about the information we were told. What I was told by the people who had her made me think that she might have some neuro issues. This is why if I would have taken the mare I would not have ridden her until a complete workup was done. (TBH I probably would not have ridden her even then since that was not my interest in her).

I only posted earlier not to chide you but to mention that I was surprised based off of what I was told about the mare. Whether they were trying to cater to my interest in the mare to make her sound more appealing to me or not, they definitely made it sound to me like they needed to unload her because they were pretty sure her lameness was not something that could be quickly or easily dealt with and that she had no longer any value to them as a riding/sale prospect.

You have not mentioned what you are interested in the mare for. Is it for riding in the future should she check out with the vet? Or just you had room for her and decided to make sure she had a place to live comfortably? If it was the former, I would think that there are much better prospects out there than this mare. However, your willingness to come on here and ask questions and let us all know how she is doing coupled with your excitement about the mare makes me feel like you will give her a good home and that you will take care of her better than many horses out there.

I do not think so much that you come off as a beginner, but it does seem that maybe you have a different background than most of us here in the sport horse breeding forum (ie my childhood classical dressage instructor would have walloped me if he knew I ever got on my horse bareback, and to him, being from Germany, natural horsemanship was inconceivable as a different type of training because all riders owe it to their horses to be completely in tune with them anyway). I only meant to get across that despite how you usually do things, if this mare is really neurologic she could be really dangerous to ride. While you have not seen much lameness, the people who had her before saw enough to give away a horse they thought previously was worth over 6k.

Please don't give up on this forum and keeping us in the loop about this special mare. I am confident that once the vet comes out you will be able to make a plan that will benefit both this mare and your aspirations for her. Please know that everyone who posts on here really is trying to help even if it does not come off that way.

I wish you only the best! Good luck with Ava!

I want to apologize if I came off as snarky. I felt like you were misleading in your very first post in this thread but I can't be so sure about that - I should have asked before reacting. I'm sorry for that.

Ok, I've been through this thread a dozen times. Where are the posts from the person who bought her coming from?

Looks like she has deleted all of her posts in the thread.
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

I just would like to say, thank you to everyone who was supportative. I deleted all of my posts because I was being attacked.

My vet said she was perfectly fine except she needed her teeth done so bad that she can't imagine how she ate. We did have the chiropractor come out for an adjustment and we have not had any problems since.

Ava is a very sweet mare. She is currently being used for light riding lessons, which she loves! We are planning to breed her in the spring (We will release the name of the top stallion when we have decided between the top 3). To help her cribbing, we have her out on pasture 24/7 with a nice big run-in and a grass round bale to munch on all day. She seems 1000x happier than when she first arrived and I am glad to have picked her up. She is turning out to be the best thing our family has ever decided to do.

Ava

The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

Sure is! Nice to see her jump and how she was then.

I just wanted to update again... This past week I have noticed Ava has stopped cribbing! Yay!