The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What can you tell me about this TB mare's breeding? Someone get her!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/avas+rib

She's listed at $6500 in the YT video, but the CL ad says she's free due to an unsoundness issue
    http://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/3107836305.html
    Last edited by JB; Jun. 29, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Tale male to Balladier sure is interesting and rarely seen anymore.

Also interesting to see My Charmer without Seattle Slew.

Curious what the issue is with her.

Default Wow

Her pedigree is very good. Better on top than the bottom but the bottom isn't terrible just common culprits Norther Dancer and Mr Prospector. The excellent stuff is Whitesburg, Traffic Judge, Olden Times, Our Michael, Princequillo, Beau Pere, Private Account, Double Jay, Round Table and Royal Charger.
    Then she looks marvelous flashy pretty, with charisma, and beautiful movement. I would take her in a heart beat as a brood mare. Good Luck. PatO

Oh, I wish I could take her!!

Someone take her! She's fancy!

What is interesting is that maybe the sire is still producing in Ohio...that is some nice performance blood. Pat O
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/alladin+rib

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    What is interesting is that maybe the sire is still producing in Ohio...that is some nice performance blood. Pat O
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/alladin+rib
    Not still active, unfortunately. Last report of mares bred submitted in 2009.

Bump for the morning crowd - I really want someone with a good program to get her! She's flashy enough, and on CL, I really would hate for someone who's going to ignore whatever soundness issue she has and do her harm

I'm sorely tempted but with the "other" new mare coming in 2 weeks and still getting client mares in and out for breeding, I dont want to run short on space

I like her a lot as well and have always been a Whitesburg fan too ...

She is lovely -- I have a gorgeous mare by Da White Judge also, with an excellent pedigree for sport. She won 4 races (allowance) retired sound, showed and won, produced 2 babies I bred who are very successful -- beautiful, super athletes, one doing dressage, qualified for regional championships this year and one in eventing. I have a daughter that is a keeper. She scored a 52 at her ATA inspection. Someone should go get her -- super nice mare! I can't say enough good things about Pure Preppy -- although she is a diva, lol!
    PennyG

Hmmm , she is really nice looking! Wish I was closer to go see her!

But why would you want to breed from her? She's got such a significant and obscure lameness problem that shes being given away. I genuinely don't understand why this mare would be considered breeding material?

I hope she does find a nice home but as a riding horse, not a broodmare.

Stolen Silver, watching the video, she really is a nice mare and mover. Not knowing these owner's experience w/lameness issues, her level of care/management/history or if a competent vet has seen her, I don't think I'd write her off yet as a broodie. I think she deserves a closer look into what is going on, what her history is and her treatment for it, if any.
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Bump for the morning crowd - I really want someone with a good program to get her! She's flashy enough, and on CL, I really would hate for someone who's going to ignore whatever soundness issue she has and do her harm
    to me a whole lot would depend on WHY she was unsound.

Very nice but she is also a cribber which will put alot of people off including myself :-(

Oh boy... Unsound AND a cribber?

Not my definition of "must breed"...

She is very nice, I'll give you that. But... sheesh, there are tons of good mares looking for homes that are as nice or nicer and without the potential issues...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by stolensilver View Post
    But why would you want to breed from her? She's got such a significant and obscure lameness problem that shes being given away. I genuinely don't understand why this mare would be considered breeding material?

I hope she does find a nice home but as a riding horse, not a broodmare.

It would depend on why she's unsound. I have two unsound for riding broodmares. I know what the injury is for each...one was damage done from an infection and the other was from a collision accident. Neither are from genetic issues or conformation ones.

Can't see the video so can't judge the mare but it is an interesting pedigree...up top is full of good moving horses with substance. So I would expect her to have more bone and good movement.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Simply reading "she cribs" doesn't mean a lot. There are sooooo many horses who are unhappy in their environment they crib, but when put into a situation they love, it disappears. Or they only crib when in a stall, but are completely happy and crib-free when living out.

I do realize that "unsound" and "cribs" are huge turnoffs for some folks, even those only looking at broodmares.

But those 2 words are ALL that anyone has to go by in this ad. If I were in the market for a horse like this - FREE mare who is flashy, moves pretty darn nicely, and apparently comes from some pretty nice sporthorse lines, I sure as heck would be investigating her more, including vet reports, how she's current living, etc.

I just think it's a bit short-sighted to dismiss a seemingly very nice mare for something you only have 2 words to go by So many people are bemoaning how we're letting good TB sporthorse lines go by the wayside, how we need more of them, and sometimes you have to work a little hard to get some of that back

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Can't see the video so can't judge the mare but it is an interesting pedigree...up top is full of good moving horses with substance. So I would expect her to have more bone and good movement.

Oh I wish you could see the video!

Default Nice mare

She moves very nice for a purebred TB and has a very interesting pedigree. She looks to be a pretty substantial mare as well. I think she is worth at least looking into a bit further. If I didn't already have five mares, I'd be interested. She's one of the nicer TB mares I've seen.